PDA

View Full Version : One more time...

la_roche
26-10-2005, 01:56
Hey, this might have been asked already but I will just ask it again. Thanks to all the people who helped me with my last set of rules questions.

Can I give a hero a magic weapon and a gw, not to be used simultaneously, but sort of like having a spear and a hw: I have to choose at the beginning of combat? Fluff wise it would be like he had it strapped to his back.

-Roche

Flypaper
26-10-2005, 02:14
Unfortunately, if your character has a magic weapon he has to use that weapon at all times. The only exception is some Brettonian special rule which lets them use their lances.

So even if the purchase were legal (which I think it usually is), it wouldn't do much except waste 4-6 points. Maybe if you're very pedantic about always using the entirety of your 2000 point allotment? :p

Keller
26-10-2005, 02:18
As Flypaper said, you must use a magic weapon if you have one. It is legal to buy a mundane weapon as well, but you probably will never get to use it. If you fight a lot of magic-heavy High Elves, having a mundane weapon might not be a bad idea, since HE's tend to use Vaul's Unmaking to break magic items. Since most people prefer greatweapons over magical ones, most elves won't make a point to have that spell though. Still, its an option to them. Metal also has a spell to break magic items, but apart from me, not many people use it. There are also some magic items, but in general, it shouldnt be a concern.

Flame
26-10-2005, 11:47
Remember though that brettonians on the charge have to use their lance, even if they've got a magic weapon.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
26-10-2005, 13:59
if an orc has the battle axe of the last waaagh and an additional hand weapon can he use his additional handweapon once the axe stops working, ie: you roll a 6?

Atrahasis
26-10-2005, 14:14
if an orc has the battle axe of the last waaagh and an additional hand weapon can he use his additional handweapon once the axe stops working, ie: you roll a 6?

No, as the Battle Axe is still magical weapon - it just doesn't give +D6 attacks anymore.

Crazy Harborc
26-10-2005, 18:23
Well, once you've used up the magic (+D6) attacks, how is it still a magic weapon?

Atrahasis
26-10-2005, 18:29
Well, once you've used up the magic (+D6) attacks, how is it still a magic weapon?

It still grants magical attacks.

Without a specific rule in its description to say it cannot be used at all once a 6 has been rolled, it can and MUST be used in preference to any other weapon.

DJ_Silverpig
26-10-2005, 19:16
If a char has a magic weapon, it has a magic weapon and has to use it.

So you have to use the magic weapon if able and remember these things:

- If you have a magic weapon, you may not use any mundane (or magical) weapons simultaneously. When using a magic weapon, it grants no special abilities of an ordinary weapon of the same type.

- If the magic item loses its power eg. by some spell, it still counts as a hand weapon but 'cause it's a magical, it counts as a magical hand weapon and you won't get that +1 armour save by combining hand weapon and shield.

- If your magic weapon is one use only (for example Wollopa's One Hit Wunda), it counts as a magical hand weapon after use. Otherwise there will read that the weapon is destroyed after use.

- If your magic weapon is destroyed, you may use mundane weapons because there is no magic weapon to use.

Griefbringer
26-10-2005, 19:48
Perhaps this issue should be added to the FAQ - I think it pops up at least once per month.