PDA

View Full Version : 2250 WE forest sprit army

soulstealer666
24-06-2008, 02:09
where has the wood elves tag gone???

anyway this is my list that i have been tinkering with and i though i would throw it out there and see what reaction i got from it, all C&C welcome

spellweaver @ 368
lv4, GW kindred, elven steed, D. scroll, wand of the wycht elm

branch wraith @ 165
lv1, blight of terrors

branch wraith @ 140
lv1, cluster of radince

branch wraith @ 140
lv1, annoyance of netllings

8 dryads @ 108
branchnymph

8 dryads @ 108
branchnymph

8 dryads @ 108
branchnymph

8 dryads @ 108
branchnymph

8 dryads @ 108
branchnymph

8 dryads @ 108
branchnymph

8 dryads @ 108
branchnymph

3 tree kin @ 195

3 tree kin @ 195

treeman @ 285

cheers

soulstealer

RavenBloodwind
24-06-2008, 02:42
I'm not really a fan of the forest hordes (bit of an asrai buff personally) but this seems adequately done.

The primary concern I have is your spellweaver general who's really short on places to hide. The only unit she can join is one of the treekin where she gets little cover from shooting. Additionally I'm not sold on her equipment.

The biggest risk you'll face is magic so maximizing your magic defense seems a good bet. The wand of wych elm and a dispel scroll would probably be a much more effective combination. The ward save looks nice on paper but if you find yourself needing to make that roll you're already in bad shape.

You could consider swapping the glamourweave spellweaver for a treeman ancient (who, startlingly may be cheaper!) to go with a truly all forest army (yeah, yeah, the glamourweave is technically a forest spirit but we both know there's still elf blood in there somewhere!). This would obviate the need for the blight of terrors on the wraith as 2 terror causers should be enough for any army and 2 treemen is more than enough for most opponents annoyance tolerance. The only downside to this (aside from annoying the opponent) would be a further decrease in your magic defense.

soulstealer666
24-06-2008, 02:52
hey thanks for the reply

i though the spell weaver could join any FS unit including the dryads, then she would be protected enough,

i do share your concern for the items that she has, i could swap out the heart stone and the cystal for a decent ward save, is that any better

perviously to me posting this list i ran a non teeman dryarch army which worked well enough, im now just looking to add a bit of veriaty(sp?)

double treemen sounds like a serious comp hit in tourny play, (sorry i should have said this in my OP, my bad)

this list is for both friendly and tourny play

RavenBloodwind
24-06-2008, 03:04
I really would avoid the double treeman as it isn't friendly, I was just offering options.

Characters on mounts cannot join skirmishing units, which leaves you with only the treekin as places for her to go.

As to the ward save on the spellweaver, dump it. She comes with a 5+ (well, not against magic but still...). If she's needing to take ward saves she's already in a world of hurt because you've put her in situation she can't survive. Hide her in woods, hide her in units, but make sure to hide her!

soulstealer666
24-06-2008, 03:13
Characters on mounts cannot join skirmishing units, which leaves you with only the treekin as places for her to go.

oh opps good to know, consider her hidden!

for the spell weaver, should it be more like this: see OP

RavenBloodwind
24-06-2008, 03:16
I think that gives you a much stronger magic defense. You'll be running 8 dispel dice and can reroll any failed rolls plus a pair of scrolls. That'll take you a fair way.

soulstealer666
24-06-2008, 03:19
slightly off topic, for the spell weaver should she be using the athel loren lore or is the other options better?

RavenBloodwind
24-06-2008, 03:26
Loren gives you great augmenting spells (immune to shooting, regenerate, cause terror [since your whole army already causes fear]) and tree-surfing is handy.

That said, lore of beasts casting bears anger on a branchwraith who then has 6 S6 attacks and T5!

Lore of life can be handy for blasting pesky artillery off hills (master of stone) or out of woods (master of wood) and the howler wind can be handy against a gunline.

I find that I am usually drawn to life over beasts over loren for my spellweavers but I've had some good success with Loren too.

soulstealer666
24-06-2008, 03:30
fantastic, thanks for all of your help

The Red Scourge
24-06-2008, 04:58
I'd go with Lore of Life too.

You already got some nasty fighters and aside from Bears Anger (or Beast Cowers for dragons) theres no really useful spells on the beast list.

Lore of Life is great. It has the highest strength damage spells if all the Lores, and it has only one spell that requires LOS (which combines nicely with a spellweaver hiding out in the middle of a forest). So what if you have to target units within 12" of terrain – there should be some of those, and if there aren't, you've got 5 spellsinging attempts to get them within range.

On a side note. The Wild Riders are forest spirits too, so give them a second glance. As they'll negate rank bonuses, chase down warmachines and generally be annoying. You'll really stand a much better chance with them, since you have no way of flee-baiting and setting your opponent up for a charge – and then it is a whole lot more fun to have a varied arsenal instead of just two kinds of trees.

Xaskus
24-06-2008, 05:55
I think a unit of Wild Riders could really help out this army, it would give you a strong, fast hammer unit. Also if you swapped a branchwraith for a WR noble with a moonstone, you could cause some serious headaches.

soulstealer666
24-06-2008, 06:17
i like the wild riders idea and the noble with them, which wraith should i drop if i took him

also what would i drop to accommodate the wild riders i was thinking dropping a unit of treekin

cheers

soulstealer

The Red Scourge
24-06-2008, 07:36
also what would i drop to accommodate the wild riders

Well.. You've got 7 units of dryads. Heres some points for ya.

And treemen and treekin perform much the same task on the field, so you could drop a unit of treemen or kin.

I'm not that sure, that I'd bump a noble in with the Wild Riders I'd probably make them more expendable in favor of an extra unit. And let their CR come primarily from flank/rear charging/rank negation.

But thats just my two cents ;)

soulstealer666
24-06-2008, 20:30
ahh but the dryads are the scary bit of my army everyone shoots them and then forgets about the real scary bits ie the treeman and treekin, and they are fantasic placing units so i get to see where all of there scary units go :)

i shall think about it though

totaly off topic WOOTTT!!!! MY 100th POST!!!!!