PDA

View Full Version : Loyalist Army of Sylvania! (first shot at Empire 2k plus a little fluff)

Arbiter7
24-06-2008, 12:29
This is my first attempt to compile an Empire armylist, since I'm contemplating an Empire army...

It has been decades since the Empire has "lost" Sylvania to the undead.

The time has come for a new, true Elector Count to rise and claim sylvania from the clutches of the undead once and for all! A hero, to rise from the ranks and inspire the people of Sylvania who have forsaken their hope.

The Warrior-Priest of Sigmar, Anatoli Valtislav, and his trusted friend, Captain Ivan Dragomir, have taken up the courageous task to clear sylvania from its nightmare... Their virtue sparks courage once again into the terrified hearts of the people of Sylvania. Their trusted engineer, Mikolaj Grushenko, is yet another ally who has joined their cause.

Their dire need has led them to accept the services of a necromancer...Ovid. He claims that his allegiance lies with them, and his actions has proven it so far, but the Dark Powers of Sylvania have had their eye on him for qute some time. Whispers and evil dreams haunt his existence, and should he fall, the efforts of Anatoli, Ivan and Mikolaj may have been in vain...

As long as minds hold true and hearts stand fast, The Purple-Black and White flags and banners will remain brandished high once again!

LOYALIST ARMY OF SYLVANIA

Heroes:
Anatoli Valtislav(140pts)
[Warrior Priest; General; Hammer of Judgment; Armour of Meteoric Iron]

Ivan Dragomir(114pts)
[Captain; Full Plate Armor; Sword of Battle; Pistol; The Silver Horn]

Ovid (145pts)

Mikolaj Grushenko (85pts)
[Master Engineer; Hochland Long Rifle]

[B]Core Troops:
Parent A: 20 Swordsmen (145pts)
[Full Command]
Detachment A1: 10 Handgunners (80pts)
Detachment A2: 10 Free Company (50pts)

Parent B: 20 Swordsmen (145pts)
[Full Command]
Detachment B1: 10 Handgunners (80pts)
Detachment B2: 10 Free Company (50pts)

8 x Knightly Order (224pts)
[Knightly Order; Full Command]

10 Huntsmen (103pts)
[Marksman]

20 Flagellants (200pts)

Special Choices:
5 Pistoliers (114pts)
[Musician; Outrider with Rep. Pistol]

5 Pistoliers (114pts)

Great Cannon (100pts)

Rare:
Hellblaster Volley Gun (110pts)

Total 1999pts

4 power die; 4 dispel die

134models in army.

Will they make it? ?

Arbiter7
24-06-2008, 20:06
All these views and no feedback?

Aaaw, c'mon guys, I could use some (1st list,remember!)

skuller
24-06-2008, 20:23
I dunno the enginner seems a little out of fluff and then Im guessing you could use a second warrior priest maybe mounted to support ur knights. Is my opinion that for this army ur enginner seems like lost u probably going to station him with ur cannon/hellblaster so he can use either his benefits or he can shot his rifle I will consider hi mif you have mor handgunners/crossbowman or warmachines, sowrdsmen unit should be a little bigger 24-28 other than that they look good

_Lucian_
24-06-2008, 20:40
Um is this an army from sylvannia trying to reclaim the state? or is it a neighbouring state army? if its the first of the two i would refrain from black powder. Sylvania would be a very poor, especially without the financial backing of a vampire. From a fluff perspective i would restrict the black powder especially a hellblaster. If you want to insist upon them maybe work the story around them coming from a richer state in search of glory (there is alot to be gained from conquest). The list looks pretty solid although blocks of infantry should be 25-30 and i would imagine some anti-fear magic items would also help reflect the 'undead hunting' nature of the list

Azmazi
25-06-2008, 02:07
Yeah I have to agree a bit with Lucian on the infantry blocks size, especially if you plan to fight a VC player to add to the fluff (which btw I like that you themed it, my VC is personally Themed as well, and I think it always helps having a theme to get you into the idea of it.) I would also recommend the anti fear as well, being a lot of stuff has fear these days.

Arbiter7
25-06-2008, 06:08
Some Tweaks!

Lord:
Anatoli Valtislav (181pts)
[Arch Lector; General; Great Weapon; Armour of Meteoric Iron; Icon of Magnus]

His fiery speeches ispire courage into every mans heart, and his unyielding faith to Sigmar grants him the power to confront the princes of darkness man to man!! He promotes his ally, Ivan, to be the next Elector Count of Sylvania, and slowly works the idea into the minds of the people.

Heroes:
Ivan Dragomir (109pts)
[Captain; Full Plate Armor; Sword of Sigismund; Pistol]

Ivan is a valiant man, who is trusted by his men. He has hand-picked and personally trained those who showed some promise in the use of the sword and the shield, making them formidabble fighters indeed. Any other man was placed in close support. "United we stand, divided we fall!" is one of the mottos he uses to inspire his men against the unholy powers of the undead.

Ovid (150pts)
[Battle Wizard; Lvl 2; Rod of Power; Ring of Volans]

Ovid claims to be a formiddable wizard, and although he is not the best wizard Sylvania has seen, he has a few tricks up his sleeve. His Ring is enchanted with a random spell from the Lore of Fire, almost guaranteed to dish out some fiery damage. His magical rod augments his spellcasting and dispelling abilities. He also secretly relies on the Lector's powers to drain the enemy's magical defences, thus leaving his spellcasting unhindered, something that makes him look better than he really is. A necromancer is hard to trust, unless he is of some use. Oh well...

Core Troops:
The Sylvanian Defenders (169pts)
24 Swordsmen [Full Command; Parent A]
Detachment A1: 10 Crossbowmen (80pts)
Detachment A2: 10 Free Company (50pts)

The Sylvanian Defenders (169pts)
24 Swordsmen [Full Command; Parent B]
Detachment B1: 10 Crossbowmen (80pts)
Detachment B2: 10 Free Company (50pts)

The troops of Ivan have been trained to work together. Mostly poorly armed, but their strength is in their numbers (not to mention their leaders!)

8 x Knightly Order (224pts)
[Knightly Order; Full Command]

These men are from an Order that was inspired by the efforts of Anatoli and Ivan, and came to assist them in their efforts. More set out initially, but few survied. Even so, these valiant men would gladly fight against the horrors that plague the land.

10 Huntsmen (100pts)

These men are hunters, who have good knowledge of the natural surroundings of Sylvania, and make excellent scouts.

20 Flagellants (200pts)

The toll of sylvanias horrors is sometimes paid in more than blood, it is paid in sanity. These men have had experiences with the unnatural, that shattered their minds. Even so, they have their uses. An insane man does not fear the walking dead.

Special Choices:
5 Pistoliers (114pts)

5 Pistoliers (114pts)

These detachments have been formed exclusively for wizard hunting. Ovid knows that the enemy necromancers must be killed at all costs if one is to survive the tides of the undead.

Great Cannon (100pts)

"Old Bessy" is ...a cannon, which miracoulusly survived the strain of time and has been restored to working condition. It is reliable, for now.

Rare:
Hellblaster Volley Gun (110pts)

This addition to the army was a gift from Nuln. The neighboring land denied to send men to help the Sylvanian struggle (knowing it to be folly), but having an abundance in warmachines, they sent a Volley Gun instead. Anatoli and Ivan would have hoped for more, but any help is welcome.

Total: 2000pts, 145 Models 4 power die; 4 dispel die, (+3 Bound Spells)

The Red Scourge
25-06-2008, 08:56
Its sad that Anatoli couldn't get his hands on Van Horstmans Speculum for this endeavour, it would have been fantastic against those vampire super heroes. But I guess such a holy man would show some reluctance in choosing a talisman made by an infamous champion of chaos.

I.E. So praise to you as a player for not giving in to temptation and taking the easy way out : )

Arbiter7
25-06-2008, 14:16
Well, if I could get the Vampires in front of the hellblaster, or get them to charge the crazies, or shatter his magical defences and use the prayers, then I guess I might stand a chance to kill some.

_Lucian_
25-06-2008, 21:42
Undead will always be a problem for 'average' empire lists (mine always struggles ~ similar list although from stirland). The change of hangunners to crossbowmen makes a big difference i feel from a fluff perspective.

Ok now with the tactics and list:

1) i would either add 2 more models to the knights or drop 2. 8 is an unflexible combination as you cannot benefit from a rank bonus. You could think of dropping some members of the free company to get the points.

2) The ring of volans is always limited as your opponent knows you have it (you have to roll for spell before the battle begins) and without sufficient other offense you may struggle to ever get it off. I would think maybe a 'war banner' more useful in one unit of swordsmen or the afformentioned knights.

Apart from that i feel it looks good. Very balanced and should be able to respond to most armies without any real issues. Good luck

Arbiter7
26-06-2008, 04:37
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Well about the ring of Volans:

My thoughts went something like this:

You cast a spell, any fire damage spell (just to tempt the opponent to dispel and drain some die). Then you cast another clever spell from the lore you've got, again something to force him to dispel or perhaps use a scroll would be nice.

Just when he THINKS he has those 3-4 die left to counter your Warrior Priest,
you use the rod for the first time and drain him of 3 dispel die. Then your Priest has a party with his vampires, (let's say re-rolling hits and wounds and getting that soulfire off in case of blood knights bodyguard) and should be able to dish out some lethal damage. And that's without Van Hortstmans n stuff!

That's the thing I'm beginning to like about Empire. It LOOKS harmless enough, but it has a few tricks up her sleeve.

Juicebox
26-06-2008, 05:19
Cool list, especially fluff wise. I couldn't agree more on the emphasis on non-blackpowder forms of projectile weaponry.

_Lucian_
26-06-2008, 10:42
I dont know what sort of opponents you play against, but the rule of thumb generally is a single lvl 2 wizard is a defensive option. You will be limited with only 4 power dice to cast 2 spells and most opponents will have atleast 4 dispel dice... Also for the rod of power uses your dispel dice if i remember correctly, which means you will have to be playing against an opponent who wont be casting any spells (or miscasts the first) with your limited magic defense. Although this is very dependant upon your opponent

BigRob
26-06-2008, 18:21
Just when he THINKS he has those 3-4 die left to counter your Warrior Priest,
you use the rod for the first time and drain him of 3 dispel die. Then your Priest has a party with his vampires, (let's say re-rolling hits and wounds and getting that soulfire off in case of blood knights bodyguard) and should be able to dish out some lethal damage.

Umm, reread the Rod of Powers description. It DOES NOT affect your opponents dispel dice it affects yours. What you can do is store left over power dice your wizard doesnt use to use as dispel dice during your opponents turn, or in your opponents turn, you store any of your left over dispel dice to use as power dice.

So with just the one wizard, you would normally be storing your power dice to use as dispel dice if hes going vampire magic heavy. Otherwise, maybe think about a dispel scroll or the Doomfire Ring?

Arbiter7
26-06-2008, 21:03
Whops! Mistake noted on rod of power.

Actually the fluff is there for fun, and to justify a possible colour scheme, actually I just wanted to build a nice balanced list.

As for the magic, the plan is to eliminate the enemy wizards.

The pistoliers should do well if he's got them on foot running around. Plus the huntsmen.

If he has them inside units, they usually die once they hit CC.

So they'll start running around sooner or later, and that's when the pistols come in.

It's not a magic heavy build, but don't forget the priests powers! Thats 4 power die, but with another 3 bound spells!

_Lucian_
26-06-2008, 21:35
Experience shall teach you that priest spells are only usefull in mid to end game instances during which you will be embroiled in CC, when of course your wizard is subject to death. As far as wizard hunting is concerned i doubt you will be upto scratch although empire armies generally lack in that department (most people refrain from sacrificing a turn of shooting on their pistoliers and so MSU knights are left to the role). However saying this i am used to playing against armies with 6-8 lvls of magic and so more than capable to dealing with your limited magic phase, as such as i previously stated its very subjective.

Arbiter7
27-06-2008, 04:56
Hmmm true.

I guess I don't want this to be a magic-heavy army, since I plan on making my Dark Elves magic heavy.

But is it survivable without the magic? That's my main concern.

Oh and actually the rod of power allows you to steal unused power or dispel die from your opponent and provided you make the roll, use them for yourself.

I'm not sure its legal to interchange between types of die.

But then again what would be the point of using it in your own phase it it wasn't legal?

BigRob
27-06-2008, 07:54
Oh and actually the rod of power allows you to steal unused power or dispel die from your opponent and provided you make the roll, use them for yourself.

I'm not sure its legal to interchange between types of die.

But then again what would be the point of using it in your own phase it it wasn't legal?

No No, thats not what it does. If it did that it woujld be awesome and decidedly more points. Reading my Empire Armybook it clearly states that at the end of the magic phase you can save up to 3 unused dice from the pool and store them in the rod. If its your turn these dice are powerdice from your wizards. If its your opponents turn these are dispel dice from your wizards. Then if you beat the roll at the start of the magic phase you get the dice added to the pool.

The whole point of it is that for magic defence when your not likely to get a spell off, your wizard can store 3 powerdice to use as dispel dice or if your opponent is magic light, you can store your unused dispel dice to use as power dice to overwhelm him.

You CANNOT take your opponents dice! There are items/Runes that do that but they are alot more expensive.

Hope that helps. If your after magic/priestyness for undead bashing consider the doomfire ring and the popemobile.

Have fun

_Lucian_
27-06-2008, 08:37
BigRob is right about the Rod of Power, its commonly used for a 'doubling' up of dice, by that i mean from a defensive point of view you hold your power dice and convert to dispel, well worth the 30pts, assuming you can make the roll. The confusion may come from issues with translation as i assume you are from greece and so maybe reading a greek version of the rules, then again may not.

I would refrain from the 'pope mobile' as according to fluff there are only 2 arch-lectors and 1 walter, doesnt seem to fit with a rag tag bunch of guys going to reclaim sylvannia from a fluff perspective.

Arbiter7
27-06-2008, 09:13
Misread the rod again!

I had missed the words "the pool" in the last sentence, which essentially implies "your pool".

If you miss that, the first sentence is not clear about "your pool" so I misread it for "yours OR your opponent's pool".

Which was silly, considering the low pts cost.

Anyway, I'm working on the fluff, and soon I'll be posting a re-vamped list which actually differs only in the characters...

Will be very happy if you leave some feedback there too.

Thanks guys your ideas have been very helpful!

Lucky24/7
27-06-2008, 13:17
Only note ... split the knights into 2 units of 5 bare knights for the same points. much more effective and allows for the crucial flank charge... a mean 1 knight unit failing fear/terror check is easy ....2 units charging should see one pass fear/terror checks ...

also allows for you to charge 2 units (say ones with vampires/necros in)