PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Fleets for Man O'War?

WholeHazelNuts
24-06-2008, 18:41
Hey guys... anyone noticed these...?

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/#/unchartedseas/4529548089

BigRob
24-06-2008, 18:55
Yeah these were talked about a while ago, maybe a month or so. Look good, have to see how the range progressess.

amade0
22-11-2008, 16:05
Look good quality models,reasonable prices,anyone played the game?
The problem here for me is the same as all other non 'core' system games, its always hard to find other players

BigRob
22-11-2008, 17:04
I've had a look at the free rules and it looks like fun. It allready has a good online following and they have just expanded all the fleets by at least 1 ship with flyers, sea monsters and other stuff coming soon.

Very tempted to buy them.

soralapio
24-07-2009, 17:34
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but can anyone comment on these models a bit more? They look amazing but the website lists the scale as 1/600 whereas it's commonly held that Man'O'War is 1/2000.

Is the size difference a problem? I'm dying to get into Man'O'War and these look to do the job nicely.

BigRob
24-07-2009, 18:27
A mighty necropost indeed, this game has quite a strong follwoing on warseer allready and the spartan games site has a large forum as well so there should be someone who can answer the scale question directly.

Going by eye, I'd say they will probably do for Man'O'War.

Lord Malorne
24-07-2009, 18:31
It is 1/600.

soralapio
24-07-2009, 19:01
Looks like they are a bit to vastly larger than Man O'War ships, going by a picture a local retailer put up for comparison[1].

That being said, does scale really matter that much? I haven't played Man O'War so I can't really say, but I would imagine having slightly bigger models doesn't ultimately make much of a difference. Confirm / deny?

[1] = http://www.taistelutarvike.fi/catalog/images/Charted/manowar.jpg

soralapio
24-07-2009, 21:10
Posted about this earlier but apparently it was lost in the warp or something.

Yes, it turns out the Uncharted Seas models are a little to quite a big bigger. Googling "Man O'War Uncharted Seas" with their image search turns up a direct comparison from a local retailer's catalogue which I attached to this post to avoid leeching their bandwidth.

This being said, is it really a problem? I haven't played Man O'War so I don't know how tied the game is to scale. Looks like the smaller ships are pretty much on scale with Man O'War but the bigger ones are vastly larger than the largest Man O'War had to offer.

Lord Malorne
24-07-2009, 21:41
Why not just play Uncharted seas :p.

soralapio
25-07-2009, 05:32
Why not just play Uncharted seas :p.

If the rules are good, I surely will. I've just wanted to play Man O'War since I was a lad of 14 and saw it in White Dwarf.

Lord Malorne
25-07-2009, 10:00
From what I hear it is good, I have the rulebook (came yesterday) so will be reading through, it is more easy to get than MoW, so makes it easy to get new players into it.

soralapio
25-07-2009, 11:10
Sure, but if the ships are cross-compatible, that's just a double win scenario. Play the new game and have fun, dip into the Man O'War pool if someone feels like it, use the same models for both.

Lord Malorne
25-07-2009, 11:16
Different scale though.

soralapio
25-07-2009, 12:32
Different scale though.

Yes, hence my original question: does it matter in Man O'War? Is the game inherently tied to scale? Are the ranges such that it doesn't matter if a ship is a big bigger than it should be? For instance in Battlefield Gothic it wouldn't make any difference.

Lord Malorne
25-07-2009, 12:43
BFG uses the bases and stems heavily though, I have not played MoW so I could not say.

Steam_Giant
25-07-2009, 19:11
Good question, Im just getting into man o'war myself. Have you looked through the Sea of Claws (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/theseaofclaws/) group ?

Sure the big guy in the picture above looks big, but its probabley equal to say the dark elf black ark.

soralapio
25-07-2009, 20:42
Apparently it's quite a bit bigger than the Black Ark was. And yeah, joined Sea of Claws and I just moments ago got my group invitation message so I'm hoping those guys have some juicy info :)