PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points tourney army

Napoleon Blownapart
25-06-2008, 10:51
Empire 2000 points

General of the Empire, armor of meteoric iron,great weapon, talisman of protection 111pts

Captain of the Empire, full plate armor, army battle standard 83ts

Warrior Priest, great weapon, heavy armor 98pts

Level 2 Battle Wizard, 2 dispel scrolls 150pts

25 Swordsmen with full command, 9 halberdier detachment 220ts

10 Handgunners, marksman with repeater 100pts

10 Handgunners, marksman with Long Rifle 105pts

5 knights, musician, 123pts

20 Greatswords, full commmand, War Banner 255ts

5 outriders , musician and champion 129pts

GreAt cannon 100pts

GreAt cannon 100pts

1999pts

Hey, I'd like some input on how this army will face up against armies(particularly wood elves, we hate them!). Feel free to suggest alternate equipment and such I'd like to see what you all think, but please don't suggest I drop the infantry and take 2 stanks, the tournament is this week ( and that would be terrible )
Thanks in advance!

blackjack
25-06-2008, 14:59
Well, maybe because I am working on a Tzeench/Slannesh list. but I think you lack anti magic and mobility. I would like to see 1 more unit of knights and 1 of light cav. Perhapes you could cut your units of swords down to 20 each to pay for them and another wizard, even a first leve one just for more dispel dice.

That Guy
25-06-2008, 19:33
That list is happily similar to what I've been toying with.

Thoughts: Your general and BSB are both too easy to kill. First of all, barded mounts are a must. My general gets Dawn Armor, for the 1+ re-roll-able armor save. The BSB gets Holy Relic, for the 4+ Ward. Used to be the other way, but since the BSB can't take a shield, he gets less benefit from the Dawn Armor.

I'm not sure how much you gain upgrading the wizard to Level 2.

I love your big infantry blocks. Very Empire. Too bad they're not all Halberdiers :-P

I'm not a fan of Greatswords. I find that they generally don't kill enough to make up for the static combat resolution that they lose compared to infantry with detachments.

I agree that light cavalry could be useful. I love Pistoliers. Not essential, however. To pay for this I would either drop one unit of Handgunners or the unit of Outriders. I find too many static shooting units to be a bit unwieldy, but that's probably just a preference thing.

Finally I'd try and make room for a Mortar. I use two cannons and a mortar as my artillery and here's why: Monsters need to be taken out, not because my units can't beat them with static CR, but because they cause Terror, which can absolutely destroy any Empire battle line. I assume this is why you have also taken two cannons. But mortars add the wonderful ability to take out the fast and fragile. Specifically, I was recently playing Daemons against a friend's Empire army, and his mortar mauled my blocks of Daemons. But the time I got into combat my units were so depleted that I was losing combat by about 4. Mortars also maul Wood Elves. Sure, you can't get as many under the template, but you still get a bunch, and they're all really expensive.

I see your list, without any changes, as being quite competitive, fun to play, and fun to play against. Good luck at the Tourney.

minionboy
25-06-2008, 20:45
Drop the Level 2 part of your wizard. You wont be getting any spells off with him anyhow, instead, use those points and add a detachment of 6 swordsmen to your Greatswords (which will also bring you to exactly 2k).

Swapping the Outriders for Pistoliers would also probably give you a boost.

lparigi34
25-06-2008, 21:09
All the above comments are so accurate that leave little room to add value.

However... I really dislike big units of Greatswords. IMHO, they should be used as their point cost suggest - elites - and better use the freed points for buying detachments, IŽd usually take 10 and recommend max 15 guys.

The Priest rocks, giving friendlies the ability of hating is a boon. IŽd stuff him with the Greatswords.

As before mentioned, protect your General and your BSB, also Pistoliers are more flexible than Outriders. LvL2 magic will not do much at 2K, drop it and save points for more useful things.

W A L 5 H Y
25-06-2008, 21:56
hmmm drop the grateswords mate i know there hard with the great weapons but there not worth it! If i was you i would get more state troops and some more outriders or pistolers! I also feel a unit of 10 heavy knights gives an empire a bit of power a good idea would be to send them up the flank smash everthing they go along the enemys battle line or get behind them! Hope that helped (if you want to beard it up get a steam tank! lol)

Rodman49
25-06-2008, 23:27
hmmm drop the grateswords mate i know there hard with the great weapons but there not worth it!

What? Are you serious? Guys with WS 4, Ld 8, Stubborn, a great weapon and full plate armor aren't worth 10 points?!? Jesus christ man they are one of the best units point for point in the entire game. I'd keep them - take 20 or 21 and deploy them 7 wide.

As Suggested above I would drop the Level on the Wizard, take the Holy Relic (4+ ward) on the general and give him full plate instead of meteoric iron and talisman of protection. Then I would either put a banner on the BSB or give him meteoric. I'd also drop 10 handgunners and bulk out your knights. Not a bad list though, your normal infantry regiments need some kind of boost though.

minionboy
25-06-2008, 23:35
Greatswords are fine for your list, the only time they're no good is when you have more cavalry and leave them in the dust. I run my general with a Great Weapon, Meteoric Iron and Shroud of Magnus. It's a little pricey, but he's resilient and gets the job done.

You may also want to consider giving your first unit of Handgunners a Hochland too. Those things are AMAZING. If you're determined to take Outriders, you should also give the champion in there a Hochland, it's the only BS5 one you can get.

Against Wood Elves, Mortars are much more valuable than cannons, I say go for one of each for tournament use. Nothing like watching a unit of Swordmasters go up in smoke under a Mortar blast.

Napoleon Blownapart
30-06-2008, 00:53
Results:

Our tourney was run like HOH but not official. 9 people in attendance, which is really good for where I'm from.

First Game:No Game ; I had a bye (depressing I know) One thing to note (for all the latest whiners on warseer about the new daemons) Dogs of War(none too cheesy) massacred Daemons. Both good players. As far as points go I am counted as having a solid victory.

Second Game: VS Dark elves (the old ones, apparently the new book has been seen here and there)
A very shooty army, 2 units of crossbows, 4 bolt throwers, 2 sorcerers, 1 large units of cold one knights, 1 unit of spearmen, a noble and 2 chariots.

I decide even with my cannons I should be attacking and so I more or less spend 3 turns advancing and taking shots. One of my full infantry units is wiped out but the other 2 are unscathed. The outriders get shot up without really doing anything. While I advance the cannons and my other shooty units take out a chariot, 2 bolt throwers and some infantry. Turn 2 sees cold one knights in range to charge my greatswords(with priest), but fail stupidity and advance 4". I charge them and the DE payer's main line. His line holds but the cold ones flee. The corner with 3 bolt throwers, noble in spearmen unit, 1 unit of crossbows and a chariot is wiped out completely by turn 5, with me taking little to no casualties. Meanwhile, the lord (now in the greatwords) continue to chase the cold ones until they charge them in turn 6. I proceed to roll triple ones to wound with my lord, and no wounds with greatswords. I am outnumbered by 1 man and lose combat by 1, and they my greatwords are autobroken and run. I go from massacre , but lose those 500 points and suddenly I have just under a minor victory. Depressing, but I didn't feel I made any tactical mistakes so I didn't beat myself up.
Result: Draw in my favour (technically)

Game 3-VS Dwarves
Average Dwarf list it seemed. 2 big units of warriors and a unit of longbeards each with a hero in it, a gyrocopter, 2 bolt-throwers and a organ gun, 2 shooting units, and a 10 slayers.

I knew from the beginning this would be a toughie for him seeing as I could make him attack me. Terrain wise I get a hill and use forests to shorten the table edge so that my army spans the length of the board.( I do this more or less every time if I have no agenda). He gets first turn, but only has the bolt throwers in range, One hits a swordsmen unit and kills 4. He does indeed realize that he is going to have to come to me, does (what I believe to be the smart thing) and moves the rest of the army up. My turn sees a bolt thrower and the organ gun taken out by cannons(not surprising, I seem to do very well with cannons as far guessing goes). I begin shooting the dwarves with all my units, all of the gunner being on either flank. I begin to maneuver forward to meet him in the middle.(now that he has no real missle assets) He comes forward more but naturally I get the charge. I get the flank of the flank warriors with the detachment, but he uses set in stone so they become rather useless. The other 2 units are close together so only the main swords units meet them. On the flank I get my greatswords kill 6 slayers but they're unbreakable so I'm stuck there for a turn. Both lines hold on each other for 2 turns, but after his gyrocpoter failed to hurt my outriders the charge the back of the center unit (longbeards). The longbeards lose and rout. The set in stone unit routs as well. He then concedes defeat (bottom turn 5) as the last unit of warriors is about to be charged on both flanks.

Result: Massacre For Empire.

I win best general,( best overall is a more standard empire list) and so the empire has taken the tourney by storm!.

lparigi34
01-07-2008, 03:07
Mind posting the final list you took to the tourney???

Napoleon Blownapart
01-07-2008, 15:20
My apologies for not posting the final list, I had put it on empire online but not here.
Empire 2000 points

General of the Empire, armor of meteoric iron,great weapon, holy relic,141pts

Captain of the Empire, full plate armor, army battle standard 83ts

Warrior Priest, great weapon, dawn armor 129pts

Level 1 Battle Wizard, 2 dispel scrolls 115pts

10 Handgunners, marksman with repeater 100pts

10 Handgunners, marksman with Long Rifle 105pts

5 knights, musician, 123pts

20 Greatswords, full commmand, 230pts

5 outriders , musician and champion 129pts

GreAt cannon 100pts

GreAt cannon 100pts

2000pts

WhiteKnight
01-07-2008, 17:12
Nice job against the dwarves! Around my GW store, we don't see too many victories against Dwarves because the dwarf player runs full gunline and the only time I've ever seen him beaten, was by brettonnian because, of course, he rushed with a bunch of knights which is smart.

lparigi34
01-07-2008, 18:37
Nice job, specially against the Dwarves.

As for the new Daemons, I've played a few time against them, no much to complain about, I do prefer fighting them rather than Wood Elves anytime.