PDA

View Full Version : Runed Weapons and Magic Weapons.

Ironstone Doomhammer
26-06-2008, 08:46
The dwarfs thanes and lords have a point allowance for runes. This means that I am able to take up to 3 runes on my weapon that fit within the allowed points for the thane / lord.

Now my question is, since Dwarfs do not believe in using magic in warfare, are runed weapons considered magic weapons or just runic weapons.

Say I was fighting an ogre with a magic armour that detroyed magic weapons upon making successful save, would my runic weapon be destroyed or not?

Thanks for the help.

Melchor
26-06-2008, 08:52
I believe it says in the army book that runic weapons (ie. weapons with runes on them) count as magic weapons for all intents and purposes (vs. ethereal opponents for example). So the runeweapon could indeed be destroyed by the armour.

Ironstone Doomhammer
26-06-2008, 08:54
Alright, thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

Condottiere
26-06-2008, 08:55
They are both runed weapons and magic weapons, and any magic spells or items that affect either runed and/or magic items, affect runed weapons.

Ironstone Doomhammer
26-06-2008, 17:43
Is it also true that I lose the HW and SH bonus in CC if my HW is runed?

Cambion Daystar
26-06-2008, 17:53
Is it also true that I lose the HW and SH bonus in CC if my HW is runed?

yes, as it is a magic weapon

Condottiere
26-06-2008, 17:54
That leads back to the old debate about magic weapons and HW&S bonus. If it is a hand weapon, it gets the HW&S bonus; there might be a clarification or FAQ elsewhere that I don't know about, but I'd say as long as the description includes the term hand weapon, it would qualify as HW&S bonus.

Ironstone Doomhammer
26-06-2008, 18:04
That leads back to the old debate about magic weapons and HW&S bonus. If it is a hand weapon, it gets the HW&S bonus; there might be a clarification or FAQ elsewhere that I don't know about, but I'd say as long as the description includes the term hand weapon, it would qualify as HW&S bonus.

It says here in the army book that the weapon itself loses it's mundane abilities, but is that bonus really a characteristic of the weapon or as a whole for having both a shield AND a HW I know that technically magic weapon is a sub-category, but it's still listed as a HW.

Thanks for answering my questions guys, I really appreciate all the help.

Loopstah
26-06-2008, 20:03
It says here in the army book that the weapon itself loses it's mundane abilities, but is that bonus really a characteristic of the weapon or as a whole for having both a shield AND a HW I know that technically magic weapon is a sub-category, but it's still listed as a HW.

Thanks for answering my questions guys, I really appreciate all the help.

A magic weapon is a magic weapon unless it has been stated to also be a mundane type of weapon. So a magic hand weapon is not a hand weapon unless it states it is a hand weapon, and as you only get the bonus with a Shield and Hand Weapon you wouldn't with a magic weapon.

If you look at the Master Rune of Kragg the Grim you'll see an example of a magic weapon being allowed to retain the properties of a mundane weapon.

lparigi34
27-06-2008, 00:07
Important to mention is that any weapon that is inscribed with a rune loses ALL of it mundane properties, so (i.e) a GW loses its +2ST and also the "strike last" rule.

So a "hand weapon" inscribed with any runes will lose the mundane hand weapon properties and will not gain +1 bonus when used with a shield.

But there is a rune that allows a runic weapons to retain its mundane properties! ;)

Condottiere
27-06-2008, 04:02
I'm not to familiar with Dwarven Runes, but if he description says that it strips the weapon of its mundane qualities, then it just got recategorized as a generic magic weapon.

kroq'gar
27-06-2008, 08:09
Also, if vauls unmaking or law of gold are cast on a runic item, all runes on it are lost- eg the entire rune axe.

They become magical. Dwarfves believe in using magic, just not in the flimsy and whimsical elven way. They prefer to bind it good and solid with steel & iron.

WLBjork
27-06-2008, 08:37
But there is a rune that allows a runic weapons to retain its mundane properties! ;)

Only applies to one type of mundane weapon ;)

lparigi34
27-06-2008, 20:03
Only applies to one type of mundane weapon ;)

uhmm, that happens when you state things based in a lousy memory :rolleyes:. Agreed, only for GW.