PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Question

DaiyQueen
26-06-2008, 09:24
Sorry if this is something resolved long ago, but I haven't been playing Fantasy for very long, and I can't find the answer here or in the FAQ.:(

One rule a weapon can have is two handed. The rulebook states this means it cannot be used with a shield or another weapon (pg54).

First of all, it doesn't say that you actually lose the bonus for having a shield. It seems, according to the armour saves section, just having a shield gives you +1 to your armour save. I would assume you would lose the bonus to your armour save while using a two handed weapon in combat, but RAW you don't seem to.
Also, I was wondering if the "can't be used with any other weapon" actually affected anyone. Regular models usually only have a hand weapon and one other weapon, which wouldn't give a bonus anyway. Units that do have several weapons, like Black Orcs, have to choose one specific set to use anyway. Characters can only have one magic weapon, and if they do they cannot use a mundane weapon.

So, basically, does the rule 'two handed' mean anything at all, apart from the possible loss of armour save bonus from a shield?

WLBjork
26-06-2008, 09:30
First of all, it doesn't say that you actually lose the bonus for having a shield. It seems, according to the armour saves section, just having a shield gives you +1 to your armour save. I would assume you would lose the bonus to your armour save while using a two handed weapon in combat, but RAW you don't seem to.

Yes. It's a great way to wind folks up on these forums when you point that out to them :evilgrin:

Also, I was wondering if the "can't be used with any other weapon" actually affected anyone. Regular models usually only have a hand weapon and one other weapon, which wouldn't give a bonus anyway. Units that do have several weapons, like Black Orcs, have to choose one specific set to use anyway. Characters can only have one magic weapon, and if they do they cannot use a mundane weapon.

So, basically, does the rule 'two handed' mean anything at all, apart from the possible loss of armour save bonus from a shield?

Yes, you cannot - for example - utilise a great weapon and a spear and thus gain +2S whilst striking from the second rank!

T10
26-06-2008, 09:31
That would be the definitive loss of the armour save bonus of the shield.

You'll be using the weapon with both hands in close combat, which means you can't also use the shield. I fail to see how this can be misunderstood.

With all due respect: when you say "RAW", I'm thinking "*****".

-T10

Cambion Daystar
26-06-2008, 09:39
First of all, it doesn't say that you actually lose the bonus for having a shield. It seems, according to the armour saves section, just having a shield gives you +1 to your armour save.

Eh?
Please tell my you are not actually trying use a greatweapon AND a shield in CC?

Condottiere
26-06-2008, 09:53
If you're grabbing and swinging around anything, which requires two hands, you are not going to be able to use a shield to deflect incoming blows. If your model has a shield option, it is to allow you an additional bonus against missile fire, or possibly the alternative HW&S in CC, if you felt that your unit would perform better with more protection at the expense of striking power.

DaiyQueen
26-06-2008, 10:51
I never said my soldiers are several armed freaks capable of wielding 3 hands worth of weapons, and I don't play that you are able to use a great weapon and shield. If you notice on pg30 for armour saves, however, the title of the first column is 'Armour worn', not 'Armour currently in use'. A shield slung across the back is still being worn. I guess I'm just pointing out a slight rules disparity, and I apologise if you guys are sick of people pointing out flaws in the BRB.

I'm sorry if I sounded moronic, but it seems it should say something more official sounding, like (pg54) "..dropped behind him whilst he fights in close combat. Models using two handed weapons in close combat lose the armour save benefit provided by a shield."

Yes, you cannot - for example - utilise a great weapon and a spear and thus gain +2S whilst striking from the second rank!

I realise this, but my point was what troops can get spears and great weapons?

Tarian
26-06-2008, 19:51
AFAIK, heroes/lords aren't restricted to one mundane weapon choice. So... the hero could buy a spear and great weapon... or something like that.

But if someone tried to give their G.Weapon wielding troopers an armor bonus from shields in CC, I'd smack 'em. :D

T10
26-06-2008, 23:12
I'm sorry if I sounded moronic, but it seems it should say something more official sounding, like (pg54) "..dropped behind him whilst he fights in close combat. Models using two handed weapons in close combat lose the armour save benefit provided by a shield."

I would think that the current phrasing is sufficient for any players to successfully infer that meaning unless they suffer some debilitating mental deficiency.

It seems you are indeed capable of reaching that conclusion. Under any other circumstance I would applaud enthusiastically and present you with a cigar.

-T10