Paladin 116 pts
- Royal Pegasus
- Shield
- Lance

Army Battle Standard Paladin 84 pts
- Banner of Châlons
- Warhorse

8x Knights of the Realm 192 pts
(The Battle Standard Paladin goes with them making a lance formation)

9x Knights of the Realm 240 pts
- Musician
- Standard Bearer

5x Pegasus Knights 275 pts
(The General-Paladin goes with these guys)

Field Trebuchet 90 pts

997 points

Watcha think?

Bretonnian Lord
26-06-2008, 11:58
AFAIK Characters on monsters cannot join units of flyers- meaning that the Paladin on Royal Pegasus cannot join the Pegasus Knights and is thus easy prey for enemy shooting.

I'd suggest dropping:
-2 Pegasus Knights (5 is huge! 3 will perform just fine... you might not even need Pegasus Knights in 1k battles, so you may feel the need to drop the unit as a whole to save more points)
-The Royal Pegasus and just having the Paladin on a Barded Bretonnian Warhorse
-Musicians in all units (My personal preference- knights most of the time won't need musicians)
-Maybe switching out the 9 man unit of Knights of the Realm for 9 Knights Errant with the Errantry Banner? Again, personal preference but their strength 6 and immune to psychology is a nasty surprise against opponents not expecting it.

^^^ With the points saved above, beef up the two Paladins.

I'd suggest giving the BSB Virtue of Duty and Warbanner for a huge static combat resolution boost (since Knights NEED to break the enemy on the charge, otherwise they're screwed) or give the BSB Sword of Might and Gromril Great Helm for increased survivability and killing power.

For the Paladin, perhaps Virtue of the Joust and Lance of Artois for a decent character killer? Or maybe Virtue of Knightly Temper and a lance for a rank and file killer to generate more combat res?

With any extra units, maybe buy a unit of bowmen for harassment duty? They're useful for taking ranks off of enemy units, further helping the knights with combat resolution and breaking the enemy.

Deus Mechanicus
26-06-2008, 13:04
AFAIK Characters on monsters cannot join units of flyers- meaning that the Paladin on Royal Pegasus cannot join the Pegasus Knights and is thus easy prey for enemy shooting.

I'd suggest dropping:
-2 Pegasus Knights (5 is huge! 3 will perform just fine... you might not even need Pegasus Knights in 1k battles, so you may feel the need to drop the unit as a whole to save more points)
-The Royal Pegasus and just having the Paladin on a Barded Bretonnian Warhorse
-Musicians in all units (My personal preference- knights most of the time won't need musicians)
-Maybe switching out the 9 man unit of Knights of the Realm for 9 Knights Errant with the Errantry Banner? Again, personal preference but their strength 6 and immune to psychology is a nasty surprise against opponents not expecting it.

^^^ With the points saved above, beef up the two Paladins.

I'd suggest giving the BSB Virtue of Duty and Warbanner for a huge static combat resolution boost (since Knights NEED to break the enemy on the charge, otherwise they're screwed) or give the BSB Sword of Might and Gromril Great Helm for increased survivability and killing power.

For the Paladin, perhaps Virtue of the Joust and Lance of Artois for a decent character killer? Or maybe Virtue of Knightly Temper and a lance for a rank and file killer to generate more combat res?

With any extra units, maybe buy a unit of bowmen for harassment duty? They're useful for taking ranks off of enemy units, further helping the knights with combat resolution and breaking the enemy.

Ah you're propably right, im not only new to Bretonnia but Warhammer Fantasy as a whole. Here's a revised list. The Pegasus Knights are mostly there because i like the models very much (reduced to 3 Knights now) but if there's a better choice im prepered to switch.

Paladin 126 pts
- Warhorse
- Virtue of the Joust
- Lance of Artois
- Shield

Army Battle Standard Paladin 129 pts
- Warbanner 25
- Virtue of Duty 30
- Warhorse

7x Knights of the Realm 176 pts
(Not sure if a unit can be joined by 2 chars but if they can both paladins goes with this unit)
- Musician

9x Knights Errant 207 pts
- Musician
- Errantry Banner

10x Peasant Bowmen 60 pts
(Harrasment unit)

3x Pegasus Knights 165 pts

Field Trebuchet 90 pts

953 pts

That leaves 47 points to spare. What im thinking (if 2 chars cant join one unit) is to drop the Terbuchet. Give the General the grail vow and squeze in a unit of Grail Knights for him to join and beef up the Knights of the Realm again.

comments?

Bretonnian Lord
26-06-2008, 19:52
2 characters can join the same unit, but it might be an "all your eggs in one basket approach" (which means if that unit gets bogged down or destroyed, the rest of the army is screwed). I'd suggest putting a Paladin in each unit of Knights. The Errants especially will benefit from the Leadership and added killing power. Also, make sure you upgrade the Knights Errant unit with a standard bearer in order to take the Errantry banner.

Grail Knights are pretty expensive in 1k pts, and they're just as tough as normal knights. They can still be very useful, but think carefully if you want to take them in such a small point game.

With the extra points you can't really get much else. Maybe some more bowmen? Maybe drop the Pegasus Knights all together and get another full unit of Knights? Other than that, the list looks fine for 1,000 pts. Any idea what armies you'll be up against?

_Lucian_
26-06-2008, 19:57
I would keep the pegasus knights, they are one of my favourite units and absolutly rock at 1k point games. Your units of knights are very exposed to small 'interferance' units and warmachines, something the pegasus knights excell at takin down. dont change them

W A L 5 H Y
26-06-2008, 22:12

I thought that a character on a Pegasus could join a unit of pegasus knights thats the whole point of putting them on the pegasus.

WB as im thinking of doing bretonians and would like to know!!

Griptenstien
27-06-2008, 00:08
No they can't, its either that chracters can't join flying units or monsters can't join units can't remember which. But royal pegasus definitly can't join normal pegasus units.

Bretonnian Lord
27-06-2008, 02:09
Characters cannot join units of flyers- monsters can still join most units however.

Pegasus Knights are great against warmachines or lone wizards, and I love the models as well! However, in a 1k battle where your opponent may have limited targets for the Pegasus Knights to hunt, they might not be able to be used at their full potential. Remember that they are skirmishers and cannot negate ranks, even if charging from the flank or rear.

Deus Mechanicus
27-06-2008, 10:58
Any idea what armies you'll be up against?

Will be Empire, Dwarves, Orcs & Goblin (Night Goblins) and the occasional Beastman.

Here's a revised list. Fixed the standard bearer for errants. Added braziers to the peasants and buffed up the KotR. The Battle Army Standard now goes in teh KotR and the General-Paladin goes in the errants.

Paladin 126 pts
- Warhorse
- Virtue of the Joust
- Lance of Artois
- Shield

Army Battle Standard Paladin 143 pts
- Standard Bearer /w Warbanner
- Virtue of Duty
- Warhorse

8x Knights of the Realm 200 pts
The Battle Standard Paladin goes here
- Musician

9x Knights Errant 207 pts
- Musician
- Errantry Banner

10x Peasant Bowmen 65 pts
(Harrasment unit)
- Brazier

3x Pegasus Knights 165 pts

Field Trebuchet 90 pts

996 pts

EdFireborn
27-06-2008, 11:11
1) Drop the trebuchet and add a unit of Men at Arms and bring the unit of 10 bowman up to 15...

OR

2) Drop the trebuchet and add a damsel for some magic fun

the first option is probably better, however you might enjoy magic.... i recommend dropping the trebuchet because past experience has told me it is not useful in small battles (even in large battles i rarely get my points back)

Bretonnian Lord
27-06-2008, 11:16
Seems pretty solid. Just a question, what unit is the Paladin general going in? Maybe drop a Knights Errant and put the Paladin there, to save 20 pts but still keep the unit at 9 men? Then I'd say ditch the braziers (against Empire, Dwarves, and Goblins they won't be much use) and spend the extra points on some more bowmen. Your goal with the bowmen and trebuchet is to "pull the teeth" from an enemy unit, not destroy the unit (which is the knights' jobs!). Cause enough casualties with shooting to cancel some enemy ranks or panic a unit, before switching to different targets.

Sir Lambard
27-06-2008, 15:34
personally id drop the braziers, and give the bowmen skirmish
works for me, great harassment unit

Deus Mechanicus
28-06-2008, 17:53
Paladin 126 pts
- Warhorse
- Virtue of the Joust
- Lance of Artois
- Shield

Army Battle Standard Paladin 143 pts
- Standard Bearer /w Warbanner
- Virtue of Duty
- Warhorse

8x Knights of the Realm 200 pts
The Battle Standard Paladin goes here
- Musician

8x Knights Errant 187 pts
The General-Paladin goes here
- Musician
- Standard Bearer /w Errantry Banner

10x Peasant Bowmen 70 pts
(Harrasment unit)
- Skirmish

3x Pegasus Knights 175 pts
- Musician

Field Trebuchet 90 pts

991 pts

Dropped a Errant Knight (so the General can fit in nicely), added skirmish to the bowmen and a musician to the pegasus knight. Currently the Trebuchet and bowmen are there to distract the enemy while the knights do the work. Should i drop the trebuchet and add something else?

Azmazi
28-06-2008, 19:11
Only 2 options I would recommend is drop the treb for another unit of archers, or get a Damsel. Most ask why a damsel, and its because having her carry just 1 dispel scroll can sometimes save you in the worst situations. Only problem is finding a location to put her in that list.

LiMunPai
29-06-2008, 07:19
Those Knights of the Realm need a standard in addition to the BSB. Drop musicians from the knight units in order to get it.

Deus Mechanicus
10-07-2008, 03:37
Those Knights of the Realm need a standard in addition to the BSB. Drop musicians from the knight units in order to get it.

Need as in the rules or need as in the would be better with it? Isn't the BSB enough?

Grom Hellscream
21-07-2008, 21:50
ummm.
put the BSB with the Knights errant - cuz they will run off and attack something when you don't want them too - if they get bogged down, the BSB will keep them holding, as well as providing that static combat resolution.

the general with the KoTR will cause enough damage to break somthing (ususally)

drop the trebuchet unless your a god with guess range, take another unit of bowmen... add in Villiens - that extra BS often makes the kill to drop an enemy rank bonus.

ewar
23-07-2008, 13:12
Personally, I'd keep the trebuchet. If you're playing for fun then having the odd crazy shot decimate your opponents unit can be a laugh and it'll force him to attack it. Ok, it might not be the absolute optimum build for an army, but the model is lovely and it'll kill ten times more stuff than a unit of men at arms.

As a note, remember that a royal pegasus is not a large target and can therefore be screened behind a unit of peg knights, so people can't shoot his mount out from under him. Therefore even though he's not technically part of the unit, it makes little difference as they can still use his leadership and as long as they all charge the same thing will be able to do a lot of damage. Just expect enemy missile weapons to target them from the start, so always deploy out of sight if possible as you go second and can just fly straight over any intervening terrain.

Good luck, its a fun army to play!