PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Special Characters

Fay_Redd
26-06-2008, 18:17
me and my friend, a while back now were discussing the goal for GW to make their entire range plastic and we came to the though of special characters being in plastic kits. take Abbadon. Putting him into a 12 plastic kit (remodeled ofcourse) would be awsome i think. whats your views on plastic SC's warseer.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
26-06-2008, 18:19
I think these are one of the few things that will remain in metal to be honest.

Lower sales potential is the main reason! Not everyone wants or needs special characters, so a plastic kit isn't like to be popular enough to warrant the expensive mould...

TheBigBadWolf
26-06-2008, 18:23

Lower sales potential is the main reason! Not everyone wants or needs special characters, so a plastic kit isn't like to be popular enough to warrant the expensive mould...

Yep, its to expensive to make a mould for a model that you are only going to buy one of, unlike a unit or a generic comander.

Gaftra
26-06-2008, 18:34
i think what would be nice to see (spitballing of course) is on the generic sprue the the options to upgrade to the special charecter. In this example on the plastic terminator you would include
abbaddon head
lightning claw that looks like the talon of horus
sword arm that has drycchaaen (or however you spell that thing)
this way you can mix and match some special char bits in you lord if you want. kind of unlikely though since they easily make more money selling the seperate characters separately

Bookwrak
26-06-2008, 18:43
me and my friend, a while back now were discussing the goal for GW to make their entire range plastic and we came to the though of special characters being in plastic kits. take Abbadon. Putting him into a 12 plastic kit (remodeled ofcourse) would be awsome i think. whats your views on plastic SC's warseer.

You seem unaware of the factors involved in model production.
1: Metal holds greater detail, which is a bonus for making special characters stand out.

2: Plastic injection molds are ridiculously expensive to make. Not everyone plays Chaos, and not everyone is going to buy Abbadon, and you're going to have to move just how many models before you recoup your costs, much less make a profit.

3: Although material costs are higher, it's much cheaper to make a metal mold than plastic, although the life span of the mold is much lower. Since you don't need to make anywhere near as many special characters as say, tac squad marines, this isn't a big issue.

So essentially, there really aren't any reasons why special characters would be better done in plastic instead of metal.

KrzyKanadian
26-06-2008, 19:59
Yeah I personally like the metal model special characters. It would definitely be another hazardously stupid thing for GW to do. Plus you can get more detail from metal.

ChaosBeast
26-06-2008, 20:04
why cant they just pour plastic into a metal mold?

its funny because ive always seen platic as more detailed as metal, even so, plastic models are multi-pose, whereas every metal model ive come across is designed to be in one pose.

downundercadet07
26-06-2008, 20:26
If you have a major jones for plastic Abaddon, you can do that with the current Chaos Terminator Lord kit- just used the lightning claw and whatever the biggest sword on it is. File a little off a storm bolter and slap that on there and you are good to go. I really think that you won't ever see plastic special characters for the reasons listed. Plus, why? There isn't really any advantage to putting them in plastic, and there are a whole boatload of disadvantages.

That said, I would expect that we will see a generic HQ kit for all the major armies. I mean, the SM commander and CSM sorcerer/lord are probably the two best kits GW has ever produced, and I know they have sold freighters worth of them. I would expect them to continue on that success. I'm a little curious why they didn't put one out for the Eldar or Orks, maybe they will be a wave 2 release for the Orks, and a retroactive Kit for the Eldar. Well call that the 'Wave Serpent' strategy, lol.

Fay_Redd
26-06-2008, 21:44
well, heheh. that didnt turn out well. just thought i'd put it out there see what kinda reaction it got. yeah, my local GW in oxford england made a plastic abbadon like last christmas (i gave you....no stop it) i think. he wasnt all plastic, he had lakors sword but now we have bloodletters its possible.

Bookwrak
27-06-2008, 04:57
why cant they just pour plastic into a metal mold?
Because you end up with air bubbles, incomplete fills, and other problems. That's why plastic models are injection molded - the plastic is injected into the mold under pressure, ensuring that the whole mold is filled. If you did this with a rubber or silicone metal mold, it'd quickly start to deform or tear.

paspinall
27-06-2008, 09:28
I can see where you came from with the idea, as yes they have often stated about eventually doing their entire range in plastic. IF they ever did that with the special characters though it would surely be the last thing they do.

Shibboleth
27-06-2008, 12:15
i think what would be nice to see (spitballing of course) is on the generic sprue the the options to upgrade to the special charecter. In this example on the plastic terminator you would include
abbaddon head
lightning claw that looks like the talon of horus
sword arm that has drycchaaen (or however you spell that thing)
...My local store has done a conversion on similar lines already, simply using the existing metal bits for the parts you've listed and the rest being the plastic Termi Lord. It looks really good painted up and is instantly recognisable as Abaddon, not just some other Lord.
It also restores his size among his bodyguard.

Chem-Dog
27-06-2008, 12:30

I totally agree Doc, but isn't it a case of Chicken and Egg?
Carrying along the Abbadon example, a plastic version would sell more as a plastic would be a multi part and entirely reposable or convertable.
We've all see Conversions using Kharn or Ahriman and one or two of Abbadon, it's totally normal to expect a certain amount of people to use Special Characters as a basis for their own Characters, unique poses, armament or even a better scupt job (not an issue with plastics I grant you) are all incentive.

I don't thin SC's should be plastic I just think the reason they aren't is because the haven't been before, sales figures for characters are low so they don't take the plunge with a plastic SC so they never know.

Personally I prefer metals, they hold a LOT more detail.

Bloodknight
27-06-2008, 12:44
Me, too. After I had seen how much detail was lost in the transition from the metal Chaos Termies to the plastic Termies, I'd dread the sight of a plastic Abaddon.

centy
27-06-2008, 14:42
Yeah heavy matal is the way to go.
All the old metal marine sculpts are as good or better then the current tac squads and the is a big ooo factor when some one pics up a base trooper only to find it is all metal and heavy.

Theidi0t266
27-07-2008, 14:43
plastic models will be cheaper but metal models give you a special characterish feel

Emperors Tears
27-07-2008, 15:03
That is true they would not make much of a profit as everyone keeps saying. And I totally agree that the metal does make the model have greater detail and stand out more from the army. I've seen this first hand with my SM term chap.

zaarin7
27-07-2008, 16:44
Five years ago a no longer open FLGS owner told me that the long range plan GW had was for everything BUT special charecters to be in plastic. I would take this to mean more generic models like the awesome SM commander and the increadable Chaos sorcerer and lord will be done but not named folks like Creed or Helbricht etc. I would also hope we see more squad sets like the SM command squad, for example a IG platoon HQ.