PDA

View Full Version : Codex by chronology

TwistedBishop
27-06-2008, 19:56
Is there a way to find out what order the codices have been released and what edition they were written for?

As a new player I'm eager to start collecting an army, but I'd like to avoid factions that are long overdue for a new codex. Even if someone could give a list by memory it would be helpful.

Culven
27-06-2008, 20:05
Going from memory:
Third Edition: Space Wolves, Dark Eldar (2nd release), Necrons, IG, Daemonhunters, Witch Hunters
Fourth Edition: Space Marines, Tyranids, Black Templars, Tau Empire, Eldar, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Chaos, Orks, Daemons

I think those are mostly in order separated by the ruleset under which they were released.

malkkis
27-06-2008, 20:13
Well, the new ork and daemon codices are desinged for the 5th ed. so they're safe for now(two latest codices, you know). SM and the IG are still in 4th ed, but are pretty much coming there. Oldest codex atm is Dark Eldar, but according to the rumours in the 'net, they're going to have new codex in fifth ed. Tyranids, Tau empire, Chaos Space Marines and (Craftworld) Eldar are all for the 4th ed. Necron codex is quite old too, just don't remember the year. Hopefully my babbling helped you at least a bit.

Light of the Emperor
27-06-2008, 20:15
Culven has the 4th edition sequence correct. That is the one to focus on.

Marines are getting their new codex this late summer/ fall. IG, Space Wolves and Dark Eldar are said to follow but the order is not yet certain.
Chaos, orks and daemons seem to be secured for a long time.

But, with 5th edition, Jervis Johnson mentioned they wanted to update all the codecies before moving onto anything else so everyone will (hopefully) get some love in the next few years.

SirSnipes
29-06-2008, 01:54
2nd edition DE
3rd edition Space Wolves, Necrons, IG, Daemonhunters, Witch Hunters
4th edition Space Marines, Tyranids, Black Templars, Tau Empire, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Chaos
5th edition Daemons, eldar and orks

yes believe it or not there are already 5th edition rmys as they have references to fith edition rules and units that are overpowered in 4th but fine in fith (daemons)but i love em

the release shedual for 40k codexs so far has been
spacemarines in september
wolves in november
IG in januaryFINALLY
necrons/DE in july and october, they cant make up their mind on what will be done first however there is alarge chunk of the crons codex done but DE have reportedly got the new raider and ravenger already done

MarkNorfolk
29-06-2008, 02:15
2nd edition DE

Point of clarification: Dark Eldar is a 3rd edition era codex but the current version is the 2nd version of that book.

Cheers
Mark

TwistedBishop
29-06-2008, 02:42
necrons/DE in july and october

Are these supposed to be July/October 2008 or 2009?

Culven
29-06-2008, 03:21
Point of clarification: Dark Eldar is a 3rd edition era codex but the current version is the 2nd version of that book.
This is an important bit to note. The cover may say "Second Edition", but that just means it was updated and republished (they also did this with the Dark Angels codex). It was still a third edition codex. The easiest way to figure this out is that fact that the codex actually works under the third/fourth/fifth rules. Another indicator is the fact that the Dark Eldar didn't exists in Second Edition. ;)

SirSnipes
29-06-2008, 03:52
Are these supposed to be July/October 2008 or 2009?

they are apparently comeing next year, the dark eldar are apparently comeing along much slower thAn the crons, but apparently we are in for some long codexs, the new marine 1 is apparently 160 soemthing pages and the same can be expected for the next awakeining of more cron harvesting devices

ehlijen
29-06-2008, 04:16
Eldar and Dark Angels should be reasonably secure too, given that those two codices started the new layout trend that seems to be going to be the standard for all 5th ed codices. Together with Orks, Deamons and chaos, those are the 'safest' codices if you're worried about impending obsoletion.

Starchild
29-06-2008, 04:54
2nd Edition:
Space Wolves, Eldar, Ultramarines, Orks, Imperial Guard, Angels of Death, Chaos, Necrons (in White Dwarf only)

[IIRC]

Champsguy
29-06-2008, 15:49
they are apparently comeing next year, the dark eldar are apparently comeing along much slower thAn the crons, but apparently we are in for some long codexs, the new marine 1 is apparently 160 soemthing pages and the same can be expected for the next awakeining of more cron harvesting devices

You used the word "apparently" four times in one sentence. The english language hates you.

Kalec
29-06-2008, 16:38
5th ed dexes so far: Chaos, Eldar, Demons, and Orks. SM and IG are still in 4th, Space Wolves and DE and Inquisition are from 3rd. Nids and Necrons are 4th or 3rd.

SM, IG, Space Wolves, and supposedly DE will all have new codexs relatively soon, with the marines being the earliest (late 08).

SirSnipes
29-06-2008, 18:49
You used the word "apparently" four times in one sentence. The english language hates you.

well it is listed on the shedule but i expected some lover of otherraces to try and shoot down the facts so i used "apparently" to shut em up before they start but these are the fatcs and its a vanilla marines codex

but finally necrons are gettingredone i didnt want my army to collect too much dust but the new daemons r great, also remeber eldar IS a fith edition codex as is orks and daemons, not too sure about chaos marines?

in roder of release
marines are september
new starter set is october
november has SW
january and febuary is IG
then fantasy
then lotr
then in july they are releasing most likely necrons, but it might switch to september with DE
but crons, DE and IGwill all have new codex`s next year

IJW
29-06-2008, 18:57
also remeber eldar IS a fith edition codex as is orks and daemons, not too sure about chaos marines?
Given that C:CSM came out AFTER the Eldar...

P.S. A few capitals at the start of sentences and full stops at the end would make your posts a lot easier to read.

Smrgol
29-06-2008, 19:26
There are already a Codex that are 5th edition ready,the most notable being Daemons (seeing as that only just came out), Chaos, although it was released last year, it was designed with 5th edition in mind as can be seen with all of the units coming grenade ready etc.

junglesnake
29-06-2008, 20:33
Well, the new ork and daemon codices are desinged for the 5th ed. so they're safe for now(two latest codices, you know). SM and the IG are still in 4th ed, but are pretty much coming there. Oldest codex atm is Dark Eldar, but according to the rumours in the 'net, they're going to have new codex in fifth ed. Tyranids, Tau empire, Chaos Space Marines and (Craftworld) Eldar are all for the 4th ed. Necron codex is quite old too, just don't remember the year. Hopefully my babbling helped you at least a bit.

Unless I am horribly mistaken the DA codex was effectively the first 5th edition codex. A lot of the hype at the time was that this was the way of the future . . . .

SirSnipes
29-06-2008, 20:57
5th ed dexes so far: Chaos, Eldar, Demons, and Orks. SM and IG are still in 4th, Space Wolves and DE and Inquisition are from 3rd. Nids and Necrons are 4th or 3rd.

SM, IG, Space Wolves, and supposedly DE will all have new codexs relatively soon, with the marines being the earliest (late 08).

all right mate IG are not 4th edition, trhey still use the squad system
and crons are 3rd

MaliGn
30-06-2008, 00:03
I'd say Tyranids are 5th ready too...

The_Outsider
30-06-2008, 00:24
No, Tyranids were written for 4th ed - along with Tau and Black Templars.

MaliGn
30-06-2008, 00:46
No, Tyranids were written for 4th ed - along with Tau and Black Templars.

How so? People seem happy to think that Eldar are 5th ed ready:

Eldar and Dark Angels should be reasonably secure too, given that those two codices started the new layout trend that seems to be going to be the standard for all 5th ed codices.

Since the Tyanid Codex came after the Eldar one, surely it's reasonably secure too.

If on the other hand you mean Tyranids didn't exist before 4th, you are very mistaken, and whoever wrote the list of 2nd ed codices missed out Tyranids, which were certainly pre Chaos Codex although I'm not quite sure where in the list they fall.

RampagingRavener
30-06-2008, 00:50
Since the Tyanid Codex came after the Eldar one, surely it's reasonably secure too.

It didn't. The Tyranid codex came in 2004, while the Eldar codex came in 2006. IIRC. Years might be wrong, but the Tyranid codex certainly came first.

MaliGn
30-06-2008, 01:11
Having checked my book, I stand corrected, my apologies for wasting people's time.

SirSnipes
30-06-2008, 03:59
its all right we all make mistakes

SirSnipes
01-07-2008, 14:33
so really you have a choice of almost every army as nextyear DE IG and CRONS will be updated so you shouldnt have troublez

victorpofa
01-07-2008, 17:56
Go with the models you like. You will be building and painting them for a long while so make sure you really like them. That is the most important thing.

The only armies with 3rd or 4th edition rules not rumored as upcoming within the next 12-18 months are the Inquisition and Tyranids. Others have listed the 5th edition ready and upcoming books so I won't repeat them. Good luck and have fun.