PDA

View Full Version : Aldred's Casket of Sorcery... A VC's nightmere

vinny t
28-06-2008, 15:28
"At the end of each movement phase, the bearer may remove and store one rendomly determined spell from an enemy wizard within 12 inches on a 4 plus."

'k 'k, good

"The bearer may then cast the spell from the casket just lke a bound item WHEREUPON THE SPELL IS THEN REMOVED FRON THE GAME!!! Does this mean for ALL casters?
Or is it only removed from the specific caster and other's can use the spell?

If I am reading ths correctly (probably not) that means empire can nerf IoN spamming lists! The threat of the VC to the Empire is no more!!! (unless I'm reading this wrong or it's in a FAQ)

Plz tell me if this is correct of not

Shamfrit
28-06-2008, 15:35
No, it only prevents the Wizard from whom you stole the spell casting it again during that game. it's still pretty powerful, however.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
28-06-2008, 15:46
Best trick is to give it to a Captain on a Pegasus, so he can flap around bothering the main caster (seriously, once you strip out his PD from the Invocation quandry, your laughing. One capture reduces the spamming by 6 every turn!)

Though having said that, I have a nagging feeling it's characters on foot only....

Shamfrit
28-06-2008, 15:48
Works better on a Warrior Priest, on a Barded Warhorse swinging around the flank in a unit of Knights. Especially if you make the Knights Unbreakable (lucky like) and stick to the side like glue so you stay in range.

Akuma
28-06-2008, 15:53
My pick was Capitan - Pegasi - Pistol - Lance - Full Plate - Ench Shield - Casket - 2+ Save March blocking - wizard hurting annoyance :D

vinny t
28-06-2008, 15:59
So, the verdict is that it's only removed from the caster and not removed from the army???
Like if with 3 Vamps and one has IoN knocked off the other two can still cast it???

Mad Doc Grotsnik
28-06-2008, 16:00
Thats right.

You remove it from that caster, and nobody elses.

Akuma
28-06-2008, 16:28
Imho pretty straightfoward descrition in the 7ed army book - but as MD said it is very good combination if you know you are going vs a magic heavy army.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
28-06-2008, 16:31
Will have to try this one.

Is an item I've never really fiddled around with before. And it does of course mean I get to raise my own Zombies! Hhhehhee!

Or even Curse of Years on his Grave Guard, Black Knights or Blood Knights. Fnarr fnarr! How do you like it!

Now to find some rules loophole which will let me take it in any army...hmmmmm...;)

Gazak Blacktoof
29-06-2008, 10:35
If you raise undead and you haven't got an undead general then they begin to crumble as per the undead rules for the loss of the general.

EvC
29-06-2008, 13:11
Yes, this item does give me nightmares. It's just so powerful, like a multiple use destroy magic scroll. Plus it seems to work in both players' phases! You can use it 12 times in one game- leaving VCs with NO spells by the end of it. Good god it's insane.

Loopstah
29-06-2008, 13:29
A good reason to take Forbidden Lore when facing Empire.

Your Vamp then knows 7 spells. :)

eagletsi1
29-06-2008, 13:47
Heck there is no reason to every go to battle without it. Unless you know you are playing the Dwarfs. Because even armies with Level 2 mages are screwed once you steal their spells it shuts down their magic phase.

The Red Scourge
29-06-2008, 14:01
My pick was Capitan - Pegasi - Pistol - Lance - Full Plate - Ench Shield - Casket - 2+ Save March blocking - wizard hurting annoyance :D

Hey! I know that guy. What was his name.. Cascasus, yeah thats it :p

Seriously. When you see a captain on a pegasus, you know those imperials are up to no good again ;)

_Lucian_
29-06-2008, 19:37
It is a good item, however your expensive pegasus riding hero has to subject himself to close proximity to a wizard to run a 50/50 chance of stealing a spell, often this puts him in the line of fire. Its worth it for some opponents with limited ranged shooting like VC's, but against a more magically balanced opponent a tuck might be the wiser choice.

Atrahasis
30-06-2008, 09:31
Plus it seems to work in both players' phases!I can't tell if you're joking or not, but precedent disagrees with you.

EvC
30-06-2008, 11:05
Each = both players' phases surely? Otherwise my Black Coach just got a whole lot worse...

Atrahasis
30-06-2008, 11:46
Not when it says "each of his [the bearer's] movement phases"

EvC
30-06-2008, 13:05
So the quote "At the end of each movement phase" from the very start of the thread was just made up? That's good to hear.