PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh, newb on the loose...

Kasrkin 666
29-06-2008, 09:38
I wanna start LoTR (duh) but don't really know how to get into it. There is so much and its...confusing!:p So if someone could help me out step-by-step, that would be great!:D

-Sunny

Leviro
29-06-2008, 10:31
Id buy the mines of moria box, because it comes with everything you need, after that just pick an army, buy an army book and then start an army all this comes to about 120-130 pounds and you spread it over a few months-years. yea id start like that if i had to start again

lotrchampion
29-06-2008, 11:39
Personally, I wouldn't go for the Mines of Moria box unless you want to play Moria. The main hardback book is far better, including more profiles and more hard-wearing. Head into a local GW and ask them to set you up with a few practice games of LotR, and have a go at playing the system before you get the ORB (One Rulebook). Hopefully during the practice games you'll find an army you like, or you may have an idea already, based on the films/books. If not, flick through the Profiles in the rulebook, look at the models, and find an army which you like the look of. OInce you've settled on your chosen army, you'll need to pick up the rules for the army. Some of the older armies, such as High Elves, have all the relevant profiles in the ORB, but others, such as Gondor, Harad, Mordor, have their own sourcebooks (all of the armies will eventually) which you will need to play the army.

Once you've got your army sourcebook, think about the type of army you want to build; do you want it to be competitive? Fun? Built on models you like? As a beginner, the best way to go is probably with models you like the look of to build a fun army with. This should allow you to enjoy using your favourite models while learning the game. When you get an idea of what you want to include, you can start writing your army lists; the rules for writing Army Lists are in the Legions of Middle-earth book, along with all the army lists for the game. It's not essential to use LoME, but it is generally advised as it is the standard for gaming in LotR nowadays.

With an idea of what to include and an army list to go by, get your army list written up and then start buying an painting the models so you can enjoy the brilliant game that is the LotR SBG! :)

fracas
29-06-2008, 20:25
buy the hard cover rules (50 US$)
look at the models and army sections you like
buy that army sourcebook (22 US$)
then build a 500 pts force ( about 100 US$)

huron
29-06-2008, 20:56
I would first of all get the hardback book then watch a couple of games and see which armies you like. Would you like many men and don't care if they live or die like evil i.e goblins. because there are usually about 20 of his mates behind him. Or would you rather have heroes that are supreme in combat and armies that do care about there mates because they cant risk losing men. Thats good for you.

santene
29-06-2008, 21:22
id say if youre going good and want the fleowship or want goblins go with mines of moria if not buy it anyway(unless you want all profiles and extra stuff) the moria set comews with rules cool minutures scenarios and if you dont want gobbos or fleoship stick o n ebay buy a sourcebook and buy a battlehost (think there called that basiclly the 50 sets)

HsojVvad
29-06-2008, 23:04
Sorry to the posters who say go with the hard back first, I strongly disagree. I bought the MoM set first. You get the rules, and mini's as well. From there you can start playing the game. If you get the Hard back book first, you still have to get minis, and spend more money.

Once you see how good LotR is (well there is a small chance you will not like it) you only spent at least in my case $75 Canadian. Here you get all the rules, an indroductory play to the rules, and minis to play with. Plus you get the Fellowship in one step even if you don't want Moria. You should see if you like it or not. From there, you get an army book you like and then the hard cover book.

This is my opnion, and I am glad I did it this way.

lotrchampion
29-06-2008, 23:09
However, should you wish to use some of the profiles not in the MoM book, you either have to buy the Hardback book anyway or pick up another Sourcebook. The Fellowship models aren't fantastic IMO, and if I were to use the Fellowship I'd take my metals any day over them. Personally I think the older boxed sets from FotR, TTT and RotK were the best ones-far more real content you could use.

Just my 2 pence though, I can see that others like and use the MoM as an intro to LotR and it's each to their own. :)

leadlair
30-06-2008, 01:12
Well have you seen the movies? If so what army did you like? I would suggest doing that army first.

So I would suggest buying the Mines of Moria so you can get the rules cheaply and have some miniatures to play with while you decide if you like the rules or not. Hey you might decide you don't like the game so be cheap before you find out.

You should also buy whatever source book goes with your chosen army.
Gondor - Gondor in Flames Source Book
Fiefdoms - Gondor in Flames Source Book
Harad - Harad Source Book
Corsairs - Harad Source Book
Mahud - Harad Source Book
Mordor - Mordor Source Book
Dwarves - Khazad-Dum Source Book
Elves - Don't have their own source book yet
Rohan - again no source book all their own
Easterlings - source book is old and will most likely be replaced soon
Khandish - again an old source book
Isengard - no source book but scattered throughout the old rule books
Dunlending -
Arnor - The Ruin of Arnor
Angmar - The Ruin of Arnor
Mirkwood - Fall of the Necromancer (another old rulebook)
Moria - Khazad-Dum

That should pretty much be all the armies and their books. You also might want to consider getting Legions of Middle Earth which gives you army lists and tells you who they can ally with.

The last thing you might want to look into are the Journey Books. One for each movie. They all have new stats in them and lots of scenarios.

It can be daunting but it really isn't that much.

Kasrkin 666
30-06-2008, 04:21
@leadlair: Thank you for that! Just what I'm looking for. Wasn't sure what army went with what supplement :)
@Everyone else: Thank you for your help!:)

Yea I want to do either Dwarves, Harad, or elves.

HsojVvad
30-06-2008, 19:41
@ lotrchampion you are correct in what you are saying, I am glad that I bought the Hard Cover edtion, but that was after having fun with the MoM with the mini's. It let me try the game out, get a feel for it and then expand on it knowing what I wanted to do.