PDA

View Full Version : 2250pts Goblins

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
29-06-2008, 22:02
Hello,

Well on the 23rd of august there is a 2250pts tournament here in belgium. I'm going to use my full goblin army and my goal is to reach the top 10, and show them that goblin armies are still a good option to field in tournies. Of course for this I need to have everything painted and lots of conversions. So that I can make up a few spots with good painting marks. I hope you like the list.

Lords

Grishnūk
Goblin warboss, armour of gork, amulet of protectynnes, great weapon. 146pts

Heroes
Brugza
Night goblin bsb, light armour, rowdy's red banner 107pts

Blugnot
Night goblin shaman, lv2, itty ring, dispell scroll 130pts

Kebabi
Night goblins shaman, lv2, 2 dispell scrolls 135pts

Core

Red Guard
24 Common goblins, shield, shortbows, full command 140pts

30 Night goblins, netters, full command, 1 fanatic 170pts

21 Night goblin archers, musician, 2 fanatic's 117pts

5 Wolfriders, spears, musician 71pts

5 spider riders, musician 71pts

2 snotling swarms 40pts
2 snotling swarms 40pts

Special

8 squiq hoppers 120pts
5 squiq teams ( 15squiqs, 10 herders) 150pts
2 spear chukka's 70pts
1 rock lobber 70pts

Rare

Doomdiver 80pts
4 trolls 160pts

Models: 209
Pd: 6+1 boundspell
Dd: 4+3 scrolls

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
29-06-2008, 22:04
Okay so I will here explain why I opted for the units.

Grishnūk
Goblin warboss, armour of gork, amulet of protectynnes, great weapon. 146pts

Well a goblin army needs the highest ld they can get so I opted for the common warboss. I gave him the amulet and armour so he can hold his own against other characters. He will join a unit from night goblins so he "has" t6.

Brugza
Night goblin bsb, light armour, rowdy's red banner 107pts

Goblins and panic are not best friends so I opted for this bsb which allows me to re roll failed panic checks. All my important units will be close to the bsb his unit.

Blugnot
Night goblin shaman, lv2, itty ring, dispell scroll 130pts

Kebabi
Night goblins shaman, lv2, 2 dispell scrolls 135pts

In earlier versions from this list I had only one scroll and the staff of sneaky stealing, but now I fiend that the armies with more then 10 pd have no problems with this so I opted for 2 more scrolls. Also this allows me to cast 3 spells a turn, which can be very usefull in the later turns from a game when my opponent starts loosing his mages.

Red Guard
24 Common goblins, shield, shortbows, full command 140pts

Well it is a unusual unit but KevinC has used such a unit with great succes so why not try it. Also they have 24 shots on large targets and they have a 4+ save in combat, the ideal hide out for my bsb.

The heart from the army, these will form the center from my battle line and with nets the can even hold of most charges. Also only 1 fanatic in it cause more get in the way when I charge.

These are more or less cannon fodder, a bit on the expensive side but they can threaten many units with the fanatics. And once again all these short bow shot are nothing to be sneezed at. The army has a grand total of 67 short bow shots.

These 4 units will in most games my key to victory. They can redirect chargers, march block scary stuff, flank charge, mage hunt, and hunt down warmachines. And spiders can take advantages from the scenery around.

2 snotling swarms 40pts
2 snotling swarms 40pts

These guys will mostly screen my 2 big night goblin units so that those don't get shot to early. Also if needed redirect charges, and when destroyed no body cares. And if I don't need a screen they will take table corners.

8 squiq hoppers 120pts

A very usefull unit, they have a 360 degrees charge arc and go 3d6. Unreliable yes, but this means your opponent also doesn't know where they will go. When they are in scenery your opponent will mostly stay away from it. And ofcourse they are itp, which is great in a full goblin army. Last but not least, these guys are the bane of undeath troops if you get a good charge in the flank.

5 squiq teams ( 15squiqs, 10 herders) 150pts
This unit is easily one of the best greenskin unit around, 150pts for a full ranked unit with 10s5 attacks. This is awesome. The only negative aspect from these two squiq herds will be the siren song so that they need to charge.

2 spear chukka's 70pts
1 rock lobber 70pts
Doomdiver 80pts

These warmachines are here to deal with the big nasty things from my opponents, and it also means that they opponent mostly can't wait in there own deployment zone.

4 trolls 160pts
Well this unit can't take on full ranked units but with their move from 12 they have a nice change of flanking them. And they are of course great against knights. Last but not least they can screen also cause it takes a lot of shooting power to destroy them.

So what are your toughts on this list?

Greetz

Kaos
29-06-2008, 22:44
Hey there little mighty warlord Ghazak Ghazkull!

Well im lost on how this army will work like since i play more orcs but i do wonder about the deploymentspace, will it all fit or will you have to move in waves? Of course you have smaller bases than the orcs so it might work nicely.

Is it enough artillery incase of bad luck and you really have to kill that nasty High Elf dragon or Treeman or other nasty stuff like that..? I use two boltthrowers and one rocklobber too but have no Doomdiver yet and i sometimes feel its not enough when a annoying terrorcausing monster lands behind or at the side of my lines.. Tho im not the luckiest artillerymaster either hehe..

Anyway, if you playtest it im interested in hearing how it goes.

Cheers, Kaos

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
29-06-2008, 23:02
Hello Kaos,

thanks for your input, well for 2250pts games we play on 6*4feet tables so that is big enough. As for shooting well my mixed army has 4 chukkas and 2 doomdivers in 2000pts and it a real nightmare for big beasties. Now I think it will be good enough cause I still have 67 shortbow shots. If you throw enough mud at something it will come down.

Also you see the win ratio in my sig about 50 games where other variants from the list and it had about 4 draws and 4 losses so it works, I just need to get used to the common goblins that are now included.

I will surely include some reports when I play games. It will be either posted here or in my blog.

Thanks for your input

Greetz
G

Frankly
30-06-2008, 00:18
....you see the win ratio in my sig ....

That always makes me lol out loud.

Krusty
30-06-2008, 02:25
That always makes me lol out loud.

yeah...
numbers in someone's sig hardly signifies their generalship or strength of their army...

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
30-06-2008, 07:51
Well for winning such amount of games with goblins there is certainly some generalship needed I tell you, and I mostly don't play gamers that are less skilled then me. And the times I do they field armies that are quite tough to face even with their lack of generalship.

But anyway do you guys have some usefull input.

Greetz
G

Frankly
30-06-2008, 18:58
yeah...
numbers in someone's sig hardly signifies their generalship or strength of their army...

Atleast your getting good games in man. Theres a steeper learning curl when your play tougher games. My gaming group run at about 50% win/loss records ... 1 player higher. It makes for a more enjoyable evening if we're all running parr and testing each other.

@ G, i haven't seen you ask for any input until now. I thought your just showing off your win/loss score. :rolleyes:

Stinkfoot
30-06-2008, 19:35
I really don't understand the purpose of the Red Guard. It seems to me that in nearly every measurable way they are worse than a similarly pointed unit of NG. 30 NG with command and nets is harder to kill (since they ignore the first save modifier and effectively have +1 T), and have bigger numbers, plus have the psychological factor of possible fanatics. The shortbows are gonna do dick, so they're not really worth taking (except for free on small NG units). It's cool that you want to paint an elite looking unit, but you're just giving the unit a downgrade by making them common gobbos.

I think 4 trolls are probably excessive too. Stupidity really hurts in a goblin army; paying 160 points for a unit that wonders around half the game doesn't seem particularly wise. I'd cut the unit in half and add another unit of meat night goblins (20 gobbos with possibly bows, musician and 1-2 fanatics).

Overall, a pretty good list. It's just... come on... common goblins?

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
30-06-2008, 20:10
Well Stinkfoot, about the common goblins I have to disagree. I don't know if you know KevinC but he has won a tourny with a common goblin heavy army. Okay night goblins can contain fanatics, but these ladz are not screwed when they rol a one for nets. Also I need some challenge in my army, most people underestimate them and that is a crucial mistake. Also I don't want to include more greenies cause my deployment zone is already pretty crowded. Also the extra point of ld of ld is worth gold especially when they will not be in the neigborhood from the general. But I can still chance it.

Also from personal expierince I find that trolls can work with ld8, but that could be me just being lucky. I find it no worse then annimosity.

Greetz

Stinkfoot
01-07-2008, 00:14
The common goblin leadership will never come into play if the BSB is in the unit, and a 2+ for nets to work about as close to a sure-thing as you can get with goblins. You could roll poorly on your common gobbo armor saves, so I don't see how having to roll for nets is much worse. You wouldn't really need to make them bigger, an equal size unit of NGs is better than a unit of common gobbos in my opinion. The extra models were just bonus, since the NGs cost fewer points. You could just as soon use the points to buy an extra fanatic, or buy another couple of puppies for your cavalry units.

I don't know KevinC, but I would assume he won in spite of his goblins rather than because of them. If he's a good general he can work around problems in his list. If you want them for your theme or whatever then you should feel free to take them too. I'm just saying that I think you're shooting yourself in the foot taking common goblins instead of night goblins. You can see win games, and if you enjoy the challenge more power to you.