PDA

View Full Version : Deployment

Tuch
29-06-2008, 22:50
Often times we hear that deployment can be the most crucial part of the game. Unfortunately not all of us are masters at this part of the game.

What advice can people give beyond the basics for a variety of the army styles out there (i.e. gunlines, speed hand-to-hand, MSU and Elite MSU, magic heavy, and point denial).

I'm kind of looking for often overlooked specifics as well. Do you angle your units during deployment? How much spacing do you like to leave between your units (given the room)? Do you like to set up on the 12" line or do you back it up a bit?

As I normally play fast Chaos lists ( Slaanesh HoC and now Daemons) I use a very basic set up with my Fliers and Fast Cavalry on the extreme edge to swoop up and reform for a flank attack on turn 2 as my heavy hitters come up from the front fast. I realize this is very, very basic but it is about the extent of my knowledge other than a castle for a gunline or setting up a hard flank deployment against horde armies.

xragg
30-06-2008, 02:11
I often break the table into 3 sections, center and 2 flanks. I deploy so I can dominate a section, usually a flank, harass the center, and deny the opposite flank. Each section needs to be a to support itself to degree. I play WE and skaven, and I do it for both, though how they execute the dominate, harass, and deny vary between the 2 armies. I dont know if that cleared anything up for you, or just weird ramblings from my tactics.

semersonp
30-06-2008, 02:17
study your own units and all the other units in the game...

know the weakness/strength of each...

and play a lot of games... lots and lots of games...

the more you play the better you get at deployment and all other phases of the game (especially how fast you can effectively get through your turn)...

read your kasparov - you don't get good by thinking about doing, you get good by doing...

rock it out!

Malorian
30-06-2008, 04:16
Before you pick sides look at your opponents army and know what you are up against.

When you pick sides already have a plan of what you want to do and what you don't want your opponent to do.

When you are placing units think about exactly what that unit will be doing for the rest of the game (assuming nothing crazy happens).

If your opponent has thinks you need to avoid, make sure to try and draw them out with cheap/less useful troops before you place the mroe important ones.

Think about things like LOS, distance from your opponet, scouts, and the direction units will move if they flee.

There probably isn't a reason to angle a unit, and in fact I would suggest you don't as it would give you opponent an idea about what you are going to do. Simply do it on your first turn and leave him to do the reacting.

The biggest thing is stick to your plan. Most loses are do to not having, or not sticking to a plan. ("Things are going well, why don't I try to do this instead just to mix things up." = bad.)

RavenBloodwind
30-06-2008, 04:35
In general terms, you can use the deployment phase to make your opponent put himself in a disadvantageous position. Start by dropping a scary or juicy unit at one table edge. Your opponent keys on that and begins to think about his deployment differently from that moment. Then you just deploy your entire army in the other half of your deployment zone. Lots of similar options.

To deployment specifics. For my shooting-heavy wood elves, I generally deploy at 9" to make sure I get a good 2 turns of uninterrupted shooting (besides I can move and shoot without penalty if the cheeky bugger deploys further back himself). I usually deploy my shooting units (and I have alot) at 3-4" intervals with units staggered slightly (some at 8" in some at 9"). In the gaps I deploy my skirmishing combat units (dryads and wardancers). On the flanks I deploy my gladeriders who will be tasked with march blocking, drawing out fanatics, baiting, etc. I try to keep my mages close to the center of mass of the army since Loren spells are generally fairly short range. If there are few woods I'll put my casters who get treesinging closer to the woods.

So that's about useless for any other army build, but it has served me in good stead for my "Blacken the sky" wood elf build (which my regular opponent curses to this day).

Kahadras
30-06-2008, 10:04
Deployment is probably my favorite part of the game; it calls for you to come up with a good deployment stratergy but also requires you to alter it on the fly to deal with what your opponant is doing.

At the start of the game I always focus on what terrain is on the board. Terrain should be the first thing you have to take into account when planning your set up. Woods on a flank will provide cover for your advance (and your opponants), a big piece of terrain may break up your battleline, a hill might provide a good place to base your center around etc.

Having surveyed the battlefield you need to come up with some kind of plan about what you are going to do. I usualy come up with a set of bullet points to follow. When starting deployment I always put down my infantry first. Because they form the center of my battleline they generaly don't give a lot away about what I'm planning to do. I then place down my center support units such as missile troops. Usualy I'll then put down my warmachines as by this point my opponant should have several of his units down and I can have a vague idea of what he's planning to do.

The last units to go down are usualy my cavalry. While they are fast (and can redeploy easily) they are succepable to marmachines and missile fire so I hope to get my opponant to get his shooty stuff down onto the table before I have to set up my cavalry. Uusualy I'll use them on the flanks of my army or to reenforce an area of the battlefiled that I feel that my opponant may have the upper hand.

One of the most important things in the deployment phase is to pay attention to what your opponant is doing. I've seen games thrown away because one player isn't paying attention during deployment and makes a couple of silly mistakes that his opponant can capitalise on.

Kahadras