PDA

View Full Version : Teclis Rule clarification

Mabbz101
30-06-2008, 00:30
on Teclis' special rules under High loremaster it states that any spell cast by teclis will be cast with irresistable force on any successfull casting roll which includes doubles and excludes a miscast.

Does this mean that if he casts a spell its automatically cast with irresistable force even if you dont roll a double?

Mabbz

Lord Aries
30-06-2008, 00:34
No... he casts on IF, when you roll a double, and the spell is succesfully cast otherwise.

minionboy
30-06-2008, 00:38
I think the rule describes itself crystal clear.

Is it a double? If yes, is it a miscast? If not a miscast, then it's Irresistible Force.

If there are no doubles, then you work out the spell as normal.

themandudeperson
30-06-2008, 04:20
I think the rule describes itself crystal clear.

Is it a double? If yes, is it a miscast? If not a miscast, then it's Irresistible Force.

If there are no doubles, then you work out the spell as normal.

wouldn't it be:
Did the casting roll meet or exceed the required casting value?
No. The spell failed.
Yes. Were there any double 1's?
Yes. The spell miscasts.
No. Were there any other doubles?
Yes. The spell is cast with irresistible force.
No. The spell is cast normally.

DarthBinky
30-06-2008, 04:34
Irresistible force causes the spell to be successfully cast, regardless of casting cost (page 107, BRB).

So for Teclis (or anyone using the Book of Hoeth) it would be:

1. Any double 1's?
- Yes- miscast. Sucks to be you. :p
- No- see #2.

2. Any other doubles?
- Yes- spell is cast and irresistible.
- No- see #3.

3. Casting cost reached?
- Yes- spell is cast (can be dispelled).
- No- spell fails.

marv335
30-06-2008, 05:09
not quite. Teclis still needs to roll equal or over the casting value of the spell
The book of hoeth is the same. double two (for a total of 4) will not cast flames of the phoenix for example.

DarthBinky
30-06-2008, 06:13
Ah yes. More goofy wording from GW. I stand corrected.

Mabbz101
01-07-2008, 01:11
exact wording from the HE army book

"in addition any spell cast by teclis will be cast with IF on any successfull casting roll including a double, except miscast"

That would technically mean that if he casts a spell I.E meets the casting value without any doubles then its cast with IF! im not completly stupid i know who magic works with the game just needed this clarified

theunwantedbeing
01-07-2008, 01:19
It's clear enough.
You roll the dice, if the folliwng applies then the spell is irresistably cast:

1. A double is rolled (except a double 1)
2. The spell casting value is reached

Anything other than that results in it not being irresistably cast.

If you tried to claim that any spell cast was cast irresistably I'de probably wander round to your side of the table and hit you with your book. Mainly for just using teclis in the first place.

EvilMinion
01-07-2008, 03:36
If you roll a double the spell goes off... it's as simple as that.

theunwantedbeing
01-07-2008, 04:08
If you roll a double the spell goes off... it's as simple as that.

Assuming you also reached the casting value.

Mabbz101
01-07-2008, 12:52
i know alot of people dont like using charecters but my army i choose who i want to use.

il get clarification from a friend on this rule whos a games dev at GW nottingham. thanks anyway

Loopstah
01-07-2008, 13:04
"in addition any spell cast by teclis will be cast with IF on any successfull casting roll including a double, except miscast"

That would technically mean that if he casts a spell I.E meets the casting value without any doubles then its cast with IF! im not completly stupid i know who magic works with the game just needed this clarified

You might know how magic works but you seem to be having trouble with your reading skills.

"on any successful casting roll including a double, except a miscast"

not

"on any successful casting roll, including a double, except a miscast"

Note how there isn't a comma between roll and including, meaning the statement says the roll must include a double, as well as being successful.

To treat a successful roll as the only criteria you would need the comma to be placed as shown in the second example, between roll and including.

Reinnon
01-07-2008, 14:00
i know alot of people dont like using charecters but my army i choose who i want to use.

il get clarification from a friend on this rule whos a games dev at GW nottingham. thanks anyway

it really doesn't need a clarification - Teclis's rules are perfectly clear. You get a IF if you cast a spell and the roll includes a double with the exception of a double one.

Mabbz101
02-07-2008, 20:28
my reading skills r fine thnks.

Dont patronise people who are relativly new here just because they ask a simple question

Reinnon
02-07-2008, 20:45
it was a rather simple question that seems to stem from you misreading Teclis' rules.

We gave the answer, but that didn't seem to satisfly you - thus loopstah explained now the sentance structure was built.

Your reading skills might be fine, but your entire question rested upon a mistake with your reading skills.

Mullitron
04-07-2008, 10:00
Its the same as a normal irresistable cast but with any double other than double 1.

EvC
04-07-2008, 12:17
Except to be clear, you should add that you must reach the required casting value.

Loopstah
04-07-2008, 12:26
Its the same as a normal irresistable cast but with any double other than double 1.

It's not the same as a normal irresistible force, as you don't need to meet the casting value for a normal irresistible force.

You are required to do so for Teclis/ Book of Hoeth, as they include the phrase "successful casting roll".

devolutionary
04-07-2008, 12:39
my reading skills r fine thnks.

Dont patronise people who are relativly new here just because they ask a simple question

Well you sure aren't showing that at the moment, and for all your talk of patronising conversation, you certainly are acting poorly.

It's very very simple, and in plain English;

If a spell is successfully cast and there is a double present that would not result in a miscast (though this is implied by it being successfully cast in the first place), it is cast with Irresistable Force. If it is a miscast naturally, it is a miscast. If it does not meet the requirements of the spell casting level based on the raw result, it is a failed cast. Not overly hard, since there are only four possibilities for the dice rolls - Miscast (1,1), Failed ( < target), Passed (>= target, not a double), Irresistable Force (>= target, double present).

Needs no clarification, needs no snarkiness, needs no crap.

Eka
06-07-2008, 11:16
Would his special rule take precedent over normal 'Irresistable Force'?
For example, facing a Daemon army with the Great Standard of Sundering attempting to cast a spell which requires 12+ which is on the lore chosen by the Daemon player to suffer -2 to cast. Teclis rolls three dice, getting 6, 6 and 1. Normally this spell would be cast with IF due to the double 6, but as Teclis needs to actually reach the required spell level (After suffering -2 his roll finishes as 11) would he still get it cast?

marv335
06-07-2008, 11:27
no.
The rules are clear. He must achieve the casting value as well as getting a double for IF.

Condottiere
06-07-2008, 12:25
This is an issue with no possible misinterpretation. And effects all similar situations, Book of Hoeth, etcetera.