3 Ironguts = 144
3 Ironguts = 144
20 Gnoblars = 40
20 Gnoblars = 40

Rare
Gorger = 75
Gorger = 75

Total = 1996

tyrant can break ranks on his own on the charge and has +1 movement to try to make sure he gets to said rank breaking possition. -1 to hit him in close combat as opposed to a ward save has worked for him so far. BSB with the tenderiser is also a great thing, no one expects it!

pkain762
01-07-2008, 02:01
that's really interesting.... but it won't work against a unit that has a lot of combat res.... cause a max a tyrant can kill 5 models.....and i've gone up against plenty of units that before a wound is even dealt.... they're up +9 in combat res.... so i see what you're trying to do but if you come up against a unit w/descent combat res.... he's got a chance of beeing run down...

kain

Embalmed
02-07-2008, 13:12
Tyrant will be good if you can charge him in to a flank.

No Leadbelchers, that's good lol

I like bigger units of gnobbos, say 25 so you maximise on static cr.

I like lone Maneaters w GW, they tend to scare cavalry and chariots quite well. Gorgers haven't really performed so very well for me.

Yhetees sometimes make the game. A couple of times they have rolled up my opponents army completely, fear + their awesome move can be a great combo.

Cookbook, bangstick and skullmantle are all great items for butchers. Hellheart is good vs armies that rely on high level magic (actually not so effective vs VC now, they can cast a lot of magic w only one die, saving the heavier spells for another round).

About what I can come up with now.

Grandmaster EJ
07-07-2008, 15:11
yes i understand that vs massive static res units he wont be too effective but i dont HAVE to use him in that way its just an extra option for him.

loving the BSB more tbh, a hero that can (and has) fell a treeman or dragon in one round, MINT, and still be a BSB.

Ive always used gorgers, there essential for ogre armies for me, they might not kill that much but they can at the very least buy you a shooting phase vs a gunline army, and sometimes even take down those pesky cannons etc.

i dont think this army will be that great in a tournament but i have been happy with the results of my experiment this far.

Grandmaster EJ
07-07-2008, 15:12
oh and tbh the gnoblars generally just get used a table quater units, although they have both shot, killed and beaten in combat wildriders before now, that was freekin hilarious :D

Lord Dan
07-07-2008, 17:04
Drop a unit of bulls and boost your ironguts up to units of 4 each. 12 S6 attacks is better than 9 when attempting to chop through ranked units.

I agree with the lone maneater comment. They're much more reliable, and on average only about 15 or so points more than a gorger. Perhaps take one of each to vary things up a bit.

Yhetees are too good not to take. -1 to hit them? Cause fear? Ignore terrain? Yes please.

Grandmaster EJ
07-07-2008, 21:09
hmmm i may just do that, cos i can easily swap the pelt for the neclace on the tyrant...

Grandmaster EJ
07-07-2008, 21:27
example tweaked list:

Characters
Tyrant + Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Bullgut, Wrydstone Neclace, Longstrider, Rock Eye, Luck Gnoblar, Brace of Handguns = 332
Bruiser + BSB, Look-Out-Gnoblar, Tenderiser, Heavy Armour, Luck Gnoblar = 219
Butcher + 2 Scrolls = 180
Butcher + Hellheart = 180

Core
3 Bulls + Musician = 115
3 Bulls + Musician = 115
3 Ironguts = 144
3 Ironguts = 144
3 Ironguts = 144
20 Gnoblars = 40
20 Gnoblars = 40

Special
3 Yhetees = 195

Rare
Gorger = 75
Gorger = 75

Total = 1998

Lord Dan
07-07-2008, 22:41
I like it a lot more. It's more versatile, it keeps your opponents on their toes, and it gives you another hard hitting unit.

However I must again stress the necessity of 4-man irongut units. These guys are the bulk and hammers of your army, and you can't afford to use them as charge, hit, and run units. (That's what bulls are for ;))

Let's do a fun little scenario and pit 3 Ironguts (144 points) against an equal point value of Empire spearmen, specifically, 25 with full command (145 points). Assuming the ogres charge and get their bull charges (as they should against Empire spearmen) you have 2 wounds to start, neither of which is saved by the puny 5+ armor of the spearmen with a -1 modifier. You then get 9 attacks, 4 or 5 of which hit, and 3 or 4 of which wound. So you're now, basically at best, tying the spearmen in an average scenario, assuming they don't wound you in return.

Dalamyr the Fleetmaster
07-07-2008, 23:06
I agree keep the bulls to a minimum i only take one unit in my army and max out on ironguts

Grandmaster EJ
07-07-2008, 23:37
that combat is fine by me, because i should have more units than said empire player does and eventually be able to manover another unit into a flank possiton, and if/when i lose i have a BSB nearby to make sure they dont go anywhere, or additionally be in the combat too for extra res/kills.

basically, the game wouldnt be as interesting without risks, and i prefer the more MSU style of play.