PDA

View Full Version : Attempt at 2000pts Northmen

Primogenitus
30-06-2008, 11:54
Having just recently gone back to fantasy after a long peroid of 40k, I've decided to rebuild my chaos army using the WD list. Although choices are limited and some of the point costs are completely off, I think it's at least a decent get-you-by list until a proper army book is released. I'm a big fan of infantry so it contains a large amount of footsloggers supported by a few small fast units. I'm aiming for a 2000pts list with the possibility for expansion to 3-4000 pts.

CHARACTERS

Exalted Champion (140pts)
- Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Mark of Slaneesh

Sorcerer (175 pts)
- Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, Power Stone, Mark of Tzeentch

Sorcerer (175 pts)
- Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, Power Stone, Mark of Tzeentch

CORE

17 Warriors (264 pts) (champion goes here)
- Standard, Musician, Shields, Mark of Slaneesh

12 Warriors (235 pts)
- Full Command, 2 Hand Weapons, Mark of Slaneesh

25 Marauders (205 pts)
- Full Command, Light Armour, Shields

25 Marauders (205 pts)
- Full Command, Light Armour, Shields

3x 5 Warhounds (3x 30 pts)

SPECIAL

5 Chosen Knights (265 pts)
- Full Command, Mark of Slaneesh

Chariot (120 pts)
- Mark of Slaneesh

5 Marauder Horsemen (81 pts)
- Musician, Flails

RARE

2 Spawn (2x 60 pts)

Right now the list stands at 2075 pts so I need to shave some pts off. Major changes are not an option (although I'm known to be easily persuaded) as it contains almost all models I've got. Suggestions for minor tweaks (unit sizes, equipment) are more than welcome as are comments and/or questions.

Thank you for your time...

Frankly
30-06-2008, 23:20
Have you thought of playing a northern empire infantry list?

Its just that if you like infantry, then empire are perfect for horde infantry.

I run alot of ogre, dwarf and lots and lots of marauder models in my list, so it looks kinda free company looking. I'm sure you could do the same with a marauder type list.

Its just that HoC are pretty crappy out of the WD at the moment and the empire book is great for infantry based armylist .... just a thought.

Juicebox
01-07-2008, 03:38
IIRC if your general has a mark, then all marks (aside from undivided) must be the same, i.e. general marked by Slaanesh and so anybody marked has to be marked by Slaanesh, which is to say that I don't think that your sorcerers could be marked by Tzeentch. It ain't that bad, considering the spell list of Slaanesh is pretty sweet.

WhiteKnight
01-07-2008, 04:06
Yeah Juicebox, you're right. It's different in Daemons though. You can mix and match in that army.

BigRob
01-07-2008, 08:44
IIRC if your general has a mark, then all marks (aside from undivided) must be the same, i.e. general marked by Slaanesh and so anybody marked has to be marked by Slaanesh, which is to say that I don't think that your sorcerers could be marked by Tzeentch. It ain't that bad, considering the spell list of Slaanesh is pretty sweet.

But int he new WD list there is no slaneesh spell list, they just egt to choose form (iirc) Fire, Death and Shadows. Tzeentchers get to pick from any of the 8 main lores.

Primogenitus
01-07-2008, 10:06
Have you thought of playing a northern empire infantry list?

Its just that if you like infantry, then empire are perfect for horde infantry.

I run alot of ogre, dwarf and lots and lots of marauder models in my list, so it looks kinda free company looking. I'm sure you could do the same with a marauder type list.

Its just that HoC are pretty crappy out of the WD at the moment and the empire book is great for infantry based armylist .... just a thought.

I see your point and it could be fun to do but one of the main reasons I'm playing chaos is the looks of the models (especially the chaos warriors/knights) and I find it pretty hard to include them in a themed northern empire army both fluffwise and due to the fact that there's no stats in the empire list that really do them justice. My main opponent is playing infantry heavy empire.

There's actually no restrictions on marks whatsoever in the WD list. You're able to mix anyway you like.

Any comments on my army itself?

Damian
01-07-2008, 12:06
First of all, I would drop the MoS on the chariot as it doesn't really need it, and if possible try and find the points for another one as I find chariots normally work best in pairs.

While I myself often run a unit of 12 warriors with extra hand weapons they are extremely fragile, die to shooting and can't receive a charge. I would either try and find the points to give them shields or drop them completely to get the points for the second chariot and the 75 points over and you then still should have some points left over to play with.

While many will disagree, I find the chosen upgrade for warriors to be great, so you should consider that for your warriors with shields, even if you have to drop the size of the unit a bit to find the points.

The warbanner is great on the chosen knights as it gives them the ability to take on fully ranked up units to the front. The champion upgrade is expensive and you don't really need it so you can save some points there.

Given the amount of magic defence people normally take, you're not going to get much magic through with just two level 2s, so I would just drop them to a single level 1 scroll caddy.

Finally, I don't know where you'd find the points, you might just have to leave this for bigger games, but the banner of the gods to make your troops stubborn, especially in an infantry list is priceless.

So, keeping roughly in line to the original list, here is what I suggest:

Lord (for the Ld 9 in conjunction with the stubborn banner)
Sword of Might
Armour of Damnation
Enchanted Shield
MoS

Aspiring Champ
BSB
Banner of the Gods
Halberd and Shield
Steed (for the extra armour save)
Mark of Nurgle (so that you can place him in a unit of marauders and make them immune to fear, very handy vs. daemons and undead)

Sorceror
2 dispell scrolls

12 chosen warriors
shields
full command
MoS

23 marauders
light armour, shield
full command

22 marauders
light armour, shield
full command

chariot

chariot

5 Chosen Knights
Standard and Musician
Warbanner
MoS

5 Marauder horse with same original setup

just 1 spawn

2000 points

Hope this helps. The one problem could be fighting against magic heavy foes but it shouldn't be too much of a problem

Frankly
01-07-2008, 15:10
... I find it pretty hard to include them in a themed northern empire army .....

cool cool.