PDA

View Full Version : Seemed like a good idea at the time

Matt121
30-06-2008, 15:11
Another one for the ex staffers though feel free to chip in regardless, whats the maddest, most ridiculous idea/brainwave you had when you worked/were in GW? Doesn't have to be 'hobby' related. I'll give you an example of what i mean to set the tone & get the ball rolling. I had this idea that i was going to copyright the words "the hobby" because it used to annoy the hell out of me when managers would use this phrase on induction (brainwashing) courses (which i of course took seriously). The plan was to copyright the phrase then inform GW they were infringing on my IP right & that they'd have to pay me everytime they printed it in White Dwarf or everytime a staff member said it, would have been better than winning the lottery if it had have been possible.

Your examples gentlemen please...

Oddleg
01-07-2008, 13:06
The best idea i ever had was leaving!!

Foolish Mortal
01-07-2008, 13:35
I'm don't & never have worked for GW, but here's one........

A fair few years ago, I'm sure that GW York store used to ban people from playing in store if their armies bases were not Goblin green because it didn't match the table.

I could be wrong about this, or it could have been an in joke, but I'm fairly sure this happened.

Shadowseer Crofty
01-07-2008, 13:56
I dont and havent worked for GW either (though hopefully that will change soon), but the craziest idea's I've seen staffers have are:
Go to poundland and buy a baseball bat each, spray them all black then just casually stand around with the bats in their hands (they actually did buy the bats too, though i think they put them in the back until they finished their shift).
Buy a couple of toy lightsabers (this was around the time revenge of the sith came out) and have lightsaber fights in store. This was in meadowhall store, and anyone who's been there knows there's no space to swing a cat, so its a miracle nothing got broken.

Templar Ben
01-07-2008, 17:17
I'm don't & never have worked for GW, but here's one........

A fair few years ago, I'm sure that GW York store used to ban people from playing in store if their armies bases were not Goblin green because it didn't match the table.

I could be wrong about this, or it could have been an in joke, but I'm fairly sure this happened.

Maybe it was picture day. :p

Mad Doc Grotsnik
01-07-2008, 17:22
Plenty of dumb, almost Pretard* ideas from when I worked for GW, but not necessarily when I was actually working in the store.

Most of them involve Adam, alcohol, copious amounts of money, and the surrounding environment being mistaken for a safe and responsible place to muck about in....

*Pretarded - The sort of idea that is stupid before it's even concocted.

Oh, there was one, which wasn't actually my fault.....some of you might even remember by lamenting about it back on Portent.

When the 13th Black Crusade was about to start, I wrote out a structured campaign for my Nerd Herd (Veterans) to take part in. Everything was set. I picked the penal world of St Josmans Hope as the setting, with the idea being The Thousand Sons were up to no good, using the Prisoners first as Cultists, and then in the best tradition, as a sacrifice. All players were considered, everyone had some sort of role to play. Then, the campaign opens. It's the first day. And what happens?

St Josmans Hope, the whole planet, gets well and truly knacked. I almost cried. Instead though, I just chose to swear an awful lot.