PDA

View Full Version : Daemonic Icons

ML372
30-06-2008, 15:15
What do you guys think? Can you have more than one of the same daemonic icon in the samwe army? There is nothing in the army book that says you can't and they don't seem to be your typical magic standard.

Loopstah
30-06-2008, 15:36
What do you guys think? Can you have more than one of the same daemonic icon in the samwe army? There is nothing in the army book that says you can't and they don't seem to be your typical magic standard.

They aren't magic items.
There isn't a rule in the Daemon book saying you can't.

Therefore you can take more than one of the same icon.

idiotproof dalek
30-06-2008, 15:59
Do you think this was intended by GW? Or just sloppiness?

Reinnon
30-06-2008, 16:26
i would put my tick in intentional, as most pf the banners arn't that amazing

Loopstah
30-06-2008, 16:26

The whole Daemon gift section is sloppy.
The Daemon spell section isn't as sloppy, but still has its moments.

neXus6
30-06-2008, 17:38
Well...it would be fine if it was 9/10 gamers that had common sense rather than 1/10. ;)

The Daemonic Gift section works just fine with sensible people. They are not magic items they are more like bloodline powers...but then you have the select few special players.
Those who claim stuff like "oh I can take the armour of Khorne AND Obsidian armour because neither of them have "these are both armour you can only take 1 you ****" written in big letters next to them." :rolleyes:

Evil-Lite
01-07-2008, 10:16
They aren't magic items.
There isn't a rule in the Daemon book saying you can't.

Daemonic Icons are not Daemonic gifts (they are daemonic icons).
There is not a rule in the book saying you can. (only a rule for daemonic gifts)

Therefore you can not take more then one of the same icon.

Remember, without the rules saying you can do something you can not do said action. Otherwise every model could fly or have regeneration or...

Now what GW intended is a different subject. Why I say wait for an FAQ!

Loopstah
01-07-2008, 10:25
There is not a rule in the book saying you can. (only a rule for daemonic gifts)

Daemonic Icons are not Magic Standards (they are Daemonic Icons).
There is not a rule in the book saying you can't (only a rule for Daemonic gifts, which could be applied to icons as they have no other rules).

See, works both ways, only one of them is true.

Roll on the FAQ!

Zilverug
01-07-2008, 10:34

Daemonic Icons are in the Daemonic Gifts section so I'd say they are Daemonic Gifts. They aren't declared Magic Items either...

So I'd say it is possible to have multiples in a single army.

Reinnon
01-07-2008, 10:38

Remember, without the rules saying you can do something you can not do said action. Otherwise every model could fly or have regeneration or...

Now what GW intended is a different subject. Why I say wait for an FAQ!

Theres no rule saying that you CAN take more then one great weapon - like daemonic icons they are both "mundane" equipment choices, ergo you can take more then one as each unit has the option for it.

Evil-Lite
01-07-2008, 10:48
There is not a rule in the book saying you can't (only a rule for Daemonic gifts, which could be applied to icons as they have no other rules).

So my Empire General can have any special rule I want him to have? After all, there is not a rule saying he can not.

If the rules do not say that Daemonic Icons follow the same rules as Daemonic gifts (and currently there is not). Then you are creating your own rules saying that they follow the daemonic gifts rule.

Of course this could have been easily fixed by GW if they stated in the Daemonic Icon section if they followed the rules of Daemonic Gifts or if they followed their own rules, or if they followed the rules of magic items.

Loopstah
01-07-2008, 11:14
So my Empire General can have any special rule I want him to have? After all, there is not a rule saying he can not.

If the rules do not say that Daemonic Icons follow the same rules as Daemonic gifts (and currently there is not). Then you are creating your own rules saying that they follow the daemonic gifts rule.

Ok, so what rules do Daemonic Icons follow then?

Reinnon
01-07-2008, 11:19
Indeed, they follow the rules for daemonic icons, which doesn't include "may only be used once per army".

Theres a difference between making up a rule, and using the rule as it stands.

In effect, your adding a restriction when none exists - its safer to go with what the rules do say, and atm there is no restriction on the number of daemonic icons.

EDIT: The only reason you can't take more then one of the same magic item (with exceptions) is because there is a direct rule that states you can't. No where it does it say that Daemonic Icons count as magic items, therefore the restriction of the magic item doesn't apply.

Gabacho Mk.II
01-07-2008, 16:23
Can I please ask if anyone has an idea as to when the said FAQ concerning Daemons will be out?

Am currently collecting a Daemon army and would love to have supporting/clarifiying answers as to icons and such.

Thanks.

logan054
01-07-2008, 17:05

To be honest, iu dont think its sloppy, they are listed under the unit in same way as a upgrade, to me i think its pretty obvious they are just unit upgrades, remember, they can have anything other than banner and command, think of it like a great weapon upgrade.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
01-07-2008, 18:29
Right. For what it's worth, I have also noted that GW has, on their own website, sample Daemon Army lists which feature multiples of the same Icon and the writer even notes it's part of his strategy to have two Seeker units EACH with the Siren Standard Icon.

See here:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=500004&pIndex=2&aId=3900006&start=3