PDA

View Full Version : Old Terminator bases...

Kildash
30-06-2008, 17:08
Hey, I was able to buy many unpainted metal terminators... they look almost the same as the new plastic ones, but came with small (standard) bases... am I allowed to use them like this?

electric
30-06-2008, 17:26
Technically no. Terminators are meant to be on the larger (I can't remember the mm measurement at the moment) bases. In most tournaments and such, you would not be allowed to use them. What I would suggest doing is getting some of those bases and just gluing the already based terminators onto the bigger bases. This removes the hassle of taking the bases off of all of them and makes them look a little bigger on the battlefield.

That said, your local gaming group may not mind it. My group is pretty laid back about the size of terminator bases.

Tordeck
30-06-2008, 17:29
Terminators should be on the 40mm round bases. As electric said the easist way of doing this with the old metal ones is to leave them on the 25mm bases they came with and glue those bases to the 40mm. It will also give you a bit of room to add bits or just to make them a little taller.

jfrazell
30-06-2008, 17:38
Technically...you can play them on the bases they come with. So yep.

Lord Damocles
30-06-2008, 17:43
If you use them on the 26mm bases, it's not likely that GW will send some heavies round to rough you up. (That's reserved for people who insist that the Squats are still alive).

I certainly wouldn't mind anyone using older models on the bases they came with, and really I can't see any arguement for refusing to play against them. :)

Lax
30-06-2008, 18:00
On the other hand, it's hart to stick terminator together, especially the CC ones.
So I don't think that changes a lot ^^
That's only 7mm a side more.

Ekranoplan
30-06-2008, 18:07
These metal terminators certainly came with 26mm bases back when they were first purchased. Last I checked the rule was the mini must be based on the base it comes with.

But, it would probably still be a good idea to put them on the larger bases.

exsulis
30-06-2008, 18:17
Yes, you can use the old 25/26mm bases. I wouldn't waste your time on rebasing them either(why pay again), unless the person complaining about your using the orginal bases is willing to provide you with the new larger bases.

Moriarty
30-06-2008, 22:40
Shokk attack gun - old base

Freebooter pirate Kaptin - old base

Wierdboy - old base

You'll get no quibbles from me.

Vedar
30-06-2008, 22:54
All my 20+ terminators are on the original (small) bases. There is nothing in the rules that says you need to put them on bases they didn't come with. If fact with the new deepstrike rules and template rules make deepstriking not as dangerous and spreading out (larger bases) are a good thing. I'm still not changing mine.

Kildash
01-07-2008, 08:19
Okay guys, thanks, I think I'll keep em like this in my gamer group, they'll probably have no problems with it... Maybe just glue some bigger ones underneath when I buy that bases package (you know with all kinds of bases)

"damn flying bases always breaking down, forcing me to buy those packages"

AngryAngel
01-07-2008, 08:43
I've had the old termies for awhile, and am just recently getting some of the new termies as they look sweet. So bit by bit I'm going to rebase my old termies to the new size just for synergy with the rest of the terms in the army then. No one has cared about them being on the small bases anyways, and that aside its perfectly legal. It's actually in the rule book, you should use the models on the bases they were sold with. Though it is alright to use them on a larger base, just not smaller ones.

the1stpip
01-07-2008, 12:27
They look better when they are on 40mm bases, but my mate has bought an all metal 110+ Deathwing army, and he shouldn't have to re-base the whole lot.

The rule is you use the base the model comes with or larger, so don't worry about it.

tsutek
01-07-2008, 13:01
I settled this one a bit unconventionally. I'm using two types of TDA.

The old metallic ones with the smaller bases are an earlier mark of the TDA - they only occupy the small base size. These terminator suits were designed for boarding actions etc, so hence the smaller size. The downsize: no 5+ inv save for these suits (so effectively counts as artificer armour). Cannot sweeping advance either.

The new plastic ones with the 40mm bases are the standard TDA of the rules. While taking up more space than their older counterparts, they grant the 5+ inv save.

I know this would never work in a tourney setting, but those are not my cup of tea anyway.

Royal Tiger
01-07-2008, 13:47
every single picture I see of the new plastic terminators is 40mm bases
every single picture I see of the old plastic/metal terminators are on 25mm bases

so those old ones can be on 25mm or 40mm, your choice, its only the plastic ones you get no choice with, of course if you want 40mm bases to avoid arguments, there only 1 for 5
http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/pack.php?pack=1283

eriochrome
01-07-2008, 14:09
I would just make sure that you have a fixed base size for all your termi's. I have 10 metal and 5 plastic plus 3 characters and I am putting them all on larger bases since the 5 plastic and 2 characters came with those.

Alessander
01-07-2008, 16:39
Use whatever base it came with. GW models have changed size, and GW tournies have NEVER disqualified me for using older (smaller) models. It would be a prick judge to force me to bulk up my old rhinos so their footprint matches newer rhino footprint.

I'll never change my bases for my Terminators, because I still play Space Hulk with them

Kalec
01-07-2008, 17:14
Use have to use the bases that came with the model, or larger ones.

If these termies came with the smaller bases, then you are free to use them.

RazielZian
01-07-2008, 17:25
Heh, this is an old one.....

The reply from GW stated that the rules say you need to use the base it came with but may base your models on a larger base if you wish to (commonly done for HQ conversion), however GW will not at any time enforce and rule saying you MUST use the new base sizes for your old models.

Thats says it all I think.. and right from the horses mouth too :p

victorpofa
01-07-2008, 17:31
Use what bases come with the models. That is what the rules, and IMHO common sense dictate. If you want to go to the trouble of rebasing bigger more power to you. In the case of the guy with new plastic Terminators with equal numbers of 25mm and 40mm bases just use the larger ones. Personally, i'll be damned if I am going to adapt my old slotta Terminators for a non-slotta 40mm base. Having said that, I do not mix Terminator base size in the same force, and all new Terminators I build will, of course, be put on 40mm bases. If GW made a 40mm slotta base I would consider re-basing them, but not before.

As a side question since I don't know the answer, what base comes with the newest metal Terminator Chaplains, Librarians, and Captain? My used metal Termie Captain has a slot on him so he got a 25mm slotta base. If they still use slots then I will have to make an exception about mixed Terminator base size in my Dark Angels. No slot cutting for me. Ever.

blackroyal
01-07-2008, 17:39
As a side question since I don't know the answer, what base comes with the newest metal Terminator Chaplains, Librarians, and Captain? ... If they still use slots then I will have to make an exception about mixed Terminator base size in my Dark Angels. No slot cutting for me. Ever.

The Captain comes with 4 28MM slot bases AND a 40MM base. I intend to use the Slot base to match the other 27 Terminators I own. I think the Chaplain only comes with the 40MM base, but I could be wrong.

Tordeck
01-07-2008, 18:01
Chappy only comes with a 40mm. As do SC in termi armour.

With the arguement of "use the base it comes with" the older metal termis are OOP. The new plastic ones are the currrent standard, threrefore if you have the old ones and want to use continue using them (personally I dont because the old ones are a bit ugly and the new plastics are a lot easier to convert), you should bring them up to current standards by basing them accordingly.

RazielZian
01-07-2008, 18:05

With the arguement of "use the base it comes with" the older metal termis are OOP. The new plastic ones are the currrent standard, threrefore if you have the old ones and want to use continue using them (personally I dont because the old ones are a bit ugly and the new plastics are a lot easier to convert), you should bring them up to current standards by basing them accordingly.

Im sorry but this is wrong, please go back and read my post.

ankara halla
01-07-2008, 18:10

"Should" as in a matter of personal opinion that does not in any way reflect the spirit or written language of the rules and is not a position adapted by GW itself in any form or manner.

The rules are quite clear, use the bases the models come with. The idea itself that anyone should be forced to retrofit their models is simply ridicilous, BUT I personally agree that the models do look a lot better with bigger bases, which is why I re-based all of mine (in some cases simply glued the old one on top of the new one and modelled some terrain to make it look like a hill).

Even so, it's a personal choise and there is absolutely zero reason to do so.

dean
01-07-2008, 18:51
Im sorry but this is wrong, please go back and read my post.

Wrong on more than one point. I am sick and tired of people calling minis OOP just because they moved to the "Classics" range. DA and Space Wolf metal termies are still in print. (and come with both 25 and 40 mil bases.)

RazielZian
01-07-2008, 19:04
Heh I hope you mean Tordeck and not me there :p I never said they were OOP, infact I just brought the new SM Term capt, and he comes with both sizes of base... hehe (granted the chap and lib come with the larger bases)

Tordeck
01-07-2008, 20:18
Asking GW is like asking the Petagon. It has 5 sides to every issue. I know that as a TO at an RT that the requirement is and would be to have all models to current standard. If the newest termis are on 40m then all termis should be on 40mm. They core says that that models can be on larger bases then the ones they are supplied with but not smaller. Since the new standard for termis is 40mm then the old ones need to move up to the 40mm base size, being on 25mm is being on a smaller base. Hypothicaly situation here. Say a person has an army with two units of termis. One is old metals one 25mm and the other is the new plastics but also on 25mm. Would you allow they to be fielded that way? According to your arguement no as it is not the base it was supplied with. Just because the old models are supplied with a a base that doesnt confirm to the new standard size base for termis doesnt mean you should field them on the base supplied.

edit: Also a model in termi armour should not have the same foot print as a model in power armour. Just doesnt make sense that two models that are so differant in size should take up the same amount of room. And we know they are differant size as far as game terms are concerned by means of how many can fit in a transport.

RazielZian
01-07-2008, 21:24
I never said anything like the new terminators being able to be fielded on the 25mm bases, other than they wouldn't fit, they are supplied with the 40mm bases, but that wasn't the question... the question is can the old terminators be fielded on 25mm bases, and answer is yes, and just for the record I used to be on the board of the GCN and worked very closely with GW at Nottingham when this issue came up, the answer was this:

GW would prefere all terminators (and similar for other races) to be on the 40mm bases, but they will not enforce this as it is NOT a rule that old models have to be rebased. This includes tourny armies, while you cannot put the new ones supplied only with 40mm bases on 25mm bases and legally use them, any that came with a 25mm base in its pack can be fielded on that base and be completly within the game rules.

dean
01-07-2008, 23:55
It is rumored that 5th edition will state "Base originally supplied with the miniature or larger", which is what the current RAI on page six of the BGB says.

This will neatly fix all the arguments because the "supplied" base for the new plastics is 40 mil and the "supplied" base for the metals is 25 mil.

RazielZian
02-07-2008, 01:13
Yes and no, the supplied base for the old plastics is also 25mm and the supplied base for some of the new metals is 40mm....

And they can't 'change' that rule to that for 5th edition, due to the fact that that IS the rule now.:eyebrows:

starlight
02-07-2008, 01:26
Base them on a 25mm and magnetise them to a 40mm. :D

25mm is the standard for infantry models in 40K. 40mm is an option for those wishing to model a more scenic base. Unless the model comes with only a 40mm base direct from GW (and isn't a mispack) then use whatever is in the box. If there is more than one option, do what you will as long as you are consistent.

Besides the advantages and disadvantages even out, so what's the big deal what size plastic disc your toys are standing on? Seriously folks, it's a game played with toy soldiers that depends on dice...:eyebrows:

Carlos
02-07-2008, 08:56
I still use my old 1st edition avatar in games of apocalypse, as there is nothing that says I cant!

starlight
02-07-2008, 08:59
Heck, every so often I pull out my card Ork Dread from the 2nd Ed Boxed Set. Official Citadel/GW Mini, straight from the box...and on a 25mm base to boot. :p :evilgrin:

Temprus
02-07-2008, 14:48
The 5th ed has a different rule. A very rough paraphrase is: mounting models on bases of a different size must have opponents approval first because of the way it affects rules interactions. It said nothing about larger bases are ok nor that smaller are not allowed.

madbomber23
11-02-2009, 21:54
so no one said, does the new librarian come w/ the 40mm?

ankara halla
11-02-2009, 22:06
so no one said, does the new librarian come w/ the 40mm?

Threadomancy alert!!! Look it up :)

But yes, all the "new" terminators (as in everything since at least 4th ed) come with the 40mm base.