PDA

View Full Version : Looking for alternative miniatures for my new VC army

Archaon
30-06-2008, 17:38
So i'm planning my new VC army and i'm not really interested in some models.

I'm definitely using the new Skeletons, Grave Guard, Varghulf, Bats and the occasional GW Vampire but that's it really.

I don't like the look of the old Black Knights, the new Dire Wolves or the Blood Knights.

I'll be definitely using the Gamezone undead Wolves since they are far superior to GWs wolves (my opinion) and i have some of Black Tree's Zombies which are not too bad.

So what i'll be needing:

Black Knights
maybe an alternative to Blood Keep Knights (if i use them)
maybe a cool alternative to the Black Coach
Zombies (affordable.. i'm planning on summoning lots of 'em)
maybe cool Ghouls though GW's version isn't so bad.

Kerill
30-06-2008, 17:54
Well I'm knocking together some VCs on a budget and I'll be doing the following:

For black knights use plastic bretonnian knights (I'm using the battlemasters ones since they are dirt cheap, GW models and I have loads) and replace the heads with spare Wight heads (two box sets of wights will give you enough extra heads for 8 black knights) also caparison barding offers a lot of range for cool painting as well as giving you the option of saying whether its thick caparison (barded) or decorative (unbarded).

For blood knights I'm considering something similar but using ghouls heads with greenstuff hair sculpted on, probably converted from empire knights so they look more heavily armoured. Ghouls are vampiric enough with hair I reckon (that's the theory anyway..)

Zombies- difficult, the box set with the moving graveyard is the cheapest version of a zombie unit.

GW ghouls are fine and give you lots of bits for making bloodknights/vampires.

Griefbringer
30-06-2008, 18:15
Some people have been considering using the dark elf cold one knights (coming out in near future) for undead knights. You might want to change the mounts, however.

DiddyKong
30-06-2008, 20:46
have you a theme for your army?

ive seen undead elf armies, undead bretonnians.
even undead ogres.

the zombie box is very versatile. mix with bretonnian men at arms, or empire militia.... pretty much anything can be zombified.

same with characters, seeing as all humans can be turned into vampires, pic out models that you like, weapon changes, or a good skin tone can make them convincing vampires.

black coach is a bit trickier.... i do believe mordheim has a stage coach....
but the corpse cart has a good coffin shaped bit with it, bit of converting with plastic board, or whatever its called....
it all depends how much converting you want to do?

Thoras
02-07-2008, 14:30
I'm looking at using lord of the rings Army of the dead models to replace cairn wraiths and black knights (with the mounted army of the dead models).

Really dislike the zombies on their own, so i'll probably zombie up empire state troups.

Mozzamanx
02-07-2008, 14:40
Massing zombies is really easy! Just buy 1 or 2 box sets, and lots and lots of bases. Then, you can model the hands clawing out the ground, or just using the top half pulling himself out. It only really works if they are summoned rather than bought, but you can probably get twice as many from each box.

phoenixnl
02-07-2008, 16:17
I'm curious about some suggestions too, especially for bat swarms, which I think are one of the most horrible models out there.

I personally use lightly converted Empire Knights for Black Knights at the moment, and I just bought myself a box of Flagellants to convert into Spirit hosts (because seriously, those models were already outdated when they were first released!).

ShiAlit
02-07-2008, 16:43
i am also building a new VC army and i am plundering the lord of the rings line for some of the units, the bat swarms from that line are nice and the undead swamp elves are just too cool to pass up(though they will need a bit of converting) i am also considering using the Wargs for dire wolves (I used them in my space wolf army and they look awesome).

DiddyKong
02-07-2008, 16:48
I'm curious about some suggestions too, especially for bat swarms, which I think are one of the most horrible models out there.

I personally use lightly converted Empire Knights for Black Knights at the moment, and I just bought myself a box of Flagellants to convert into Spirit hosts (because seriously, those models were already outdated when they were first released!).

ah, wonderful, another person who used flagellants for the bases of vc models :D

ive used them as cairn wraiths, with suitable conversions.

Guillius
02-07-2008, 19:20
I have personally simply converted Empire Knights. That is to say I've just glued Grave Guard heads on them instead of the normal ones to create my black knights. Recently however, I've been thinking about using the Morgul Knights from LoTR http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1270003&prodId=prod1350025&rootCatGameStyle=

Cypher, the Emperor
03-07-2008, 07:46
Black knights are easy, you just headswap empire or brets with gravegaurd or skellie heads.

Blood Knights on the other hand look good with various elf heads on Brets.

EdFireborn
03-07-2008, 08:46
a staff member at my local store (hornsby AUS) converts his black knights using grave guard and bret knights of the realm, but using the chests and heads of the grave guard, and the legs and arms (and horses) of the knights of the realm....

Angelwing
03-07-2008, 13:36

How about the LotR bat swarms?

Thoras
04-07-2008, 20:13
In regards to bat swarms i just spotted these on cool mini or not,

http://www.coolminiornot.com/store/product.php?xProd=3198&xSec=15&jssCart=34410864cd46a7f7ee45aa46bd914bda

By far and above the best i've ever seen.

Angelwing
05-07-2008, 13:15
Those are really good.

scarletsquig
05-07-2008, 15:26
Highly recommend the plastic zvedza zombies and undead cavalry.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
05-07-2008, 15:32
Link please?

Archaon
06-07-2008, 01:12
Thanks guys.. keep 'em coming.

I'm reading multiple mentions of converting Bret Knights.. i must say i'm getting warmed up to the idea though i might be using Gamezone Brets for the added Ooomph! ;)

DiddyKong
06-07-2008, 16:43
Thanks guys.. keep 'em coming.

I'm reading multiple mentions of converting Bret Knights.. i must say i'm getting warmed up to the idea though i might be using Gamezone Brets for the added Ooomph! ;)

the only think i dislike about using brets as black knights is the torso's....

i find them a bit too round.... so ive swapped the torso's, and new arms.

but, the helmets look good on skeletons.

and for the blood knights, the current box, whilst good models, its alot of money.... so if you want big units, you need a good job!!

some thoughts of top of my head, Helf Welf or Delf cavalry or chaos knights, or even better, a plastic based unit. maybe bret knights converted even more, as they have a good sized horse to make them stand out when compared to skeleton horses, or empire horses....