PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Tournaments

Plastic Rat
01-07-2008, 08:27
So I've been seeing a lot lately about how the focus on competition is reducing the enjoyment of the hobby for many. As somebody who hates tournaments with a passion, I was surprised to see a number of people who weren't WAAC kiddies saying they enjoyed tournaments just as a chance to get in a bunch of fun games against new people.

I started wondering, if you could run events that were more focused on the reasons these players mentioned. In fact, not even have points for win/loss. Unfortunately I'm worried that it would lose focus and people wouldn't take the whole event seriously.

I thought perhaps of having a 'narative tournament' where players all participate in games that are part of a greater story. Maybe a map based campaign that is a single day event and the outcomes of each game influence what happens next.

You'd still have only 3 games in the day, it doesn't need to drag on for an entire week. Prizes would be given for things like most enjoyable opponent, most interesting tactics, most fluffy army and so forth. Nothing for winning or losing.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Apologist
01-07-2008, 08:39
In fact, GW do run narrative tournaments called Campaign Weekends. These are aimed at people like my gaming group, who just want to play toy soldiers and tell a story. :)

The Tempus Fugitives gaming group has taken the reins for the official GW Campaign Weekends, and I think they're doing a great job. The next one is coming up in September, and focusses on a refight of the 13th Black Crusade.

Plastic Rat
01-07-2008, 08:55
Any idea where I can find out how they run and organize these kinds of events?

bugbait_nz
01-07-2008, 10:30
Google is your friend - > Tempus Fugitives linky (http://www.tempusfugitives.co.uk/) looks interesting

Bugbait out

Jedi152
01-07-2008, 10:45
May i suggest Carnage Tournaments run by our very own Lavfluris?

The atmosphere is superb, and you can meet other WarSeers.

Plastic Rat
01-07-2008, 11:16
May i suggest Carnage Tournaments run by our very own Lavfluris?

The atmosphere is superb, and you can meet other WarSeers.

That would be absolutely awesome. ...If of course I wasn't living on a little island off the coast of China.