PDA

View Full Version : basic dark elf tactics

izikial
01-07-2008, 12:22
hi i now new dark elfs are coming out soon but i cant see them beeing that difrent to currant ones
from wat i understand they rely on magic and shooting bu my borther who has been playign for 10 yrs really hates rxb becus he says u never hit, there combat troops seem a bit avarage and i hate witches and frenzy
so wat can you sujest as basic tactics for playign as de

izikial
01-07-2008, 12:23
sry i mean elve in the title

aforce808
01-07-2008, 12:54
Get Dark Riders. They are one of the best units available to you. I like playing a very fast list. It involves multiple units of Dark Riders, small infantry units for baiting and combo charging, nobles with lances on steeds with the DRs, bolt throwers are a must, and a couple of chariots. Basically, stall in the middle with your infantry and get combo/flank charges with chariots and Noble enhanced DRs. Get a couple DR units on a flank (easy to do with 18" movement), and roll it up. Shoot monsters, chariots, knights, etc with your bolt throwers. Harpies make great march blockers and can take out war machines. For magic I use a High Sorceress on pegasus to fly around and zap tougher units. I win about 70-75% of my games with this list, and a lot of these games are against the newer armies.

The new book coming out is only going to enhance the effectiveness of this army. Troops will get cheaper and there will be cool new options/items. I prefer a very fast army with a good amount of magic. I have found this to be more effective than mass shooting, but that may change with armor-piercing rxb's. This army is only going to get better.

chaos0xomega
01-07-2008, 18:54
So, are you saying that a Dark Elf Cavalry force (focusing around Cold One Knights and Dark Riders) is a viable list?

aforce808
01-07-2008, 19:54
I use a mostly cavalry force. I rarely use CoK, but lots of DR boosted with Nobles. The times I have used CoK, they have been very good though, so I may use them more often in the future. Especially if they are going to be St4. I normally go for 3 units of DR and 2 chariots. A Dark Elves cav force can be very, very effective if used right.

izikial
01-07-2008, 20:34
does the lvl 4 give you enough offence and defence in magic

Col. Dash
01-07-2008, 21:41
My cav list does extremely well however we play fantasy so rarely no one ever remembers my list and as such desnt make counters against it specifically. I use 2 units of COKs, 4 units of DRs, a couple mounted mages with shadow lore and a beastmsster on a manticore. Its not total cav because I bring 2 botlthrowers for general purpose and give my enemy something slow to go after. For this list in the new edition, I am expanding it to add another manticore, some shades and throwing in mengils flayers. Also going to be making an alternate list based off a black ark, with primarily corsairs, riders, bolt throwers and manti's, with random elite units tossed in for the hell of it. With AP now, warriors with rxbs look very tempting as well.

chaos0xomega
01-07-2008, 21:58
My friend seems to think a cav force would be tarpitted way too easily. I personally disagreed with him, but he has more experience in the game than I do, though I did calculations with the new rumored points values for Dark Riders and Cold One Knights, and came to the conclusion that fielding them in units of 5 you could get 20 COK and 40 DR in about 1200 points. Thats already 4 or 5 times the number of units that he was fielding in his VC army at 3000 pts...

Col. Dash
01-07-2008, 23:02
I havent even looked at the points yet but wow. I might upgrade to 30 DRs. I already have the models heheh.

aforce808
02-07-2008, 10:31
Izikial: Most of the time I run the Lvl 4 on Pegasus with the Darkstar Cloak and a Lvl 2 on Dark Steed with scrolls in a unit of DR. This is fine against most armies. Against Tzeench, VC, etc, I'm going to be outdone in the magic phase anyways. The Lvl 4 at least gives me a chance to get some spells off.

chaos0xomega: I rarely get tarpitted, because I only attack when I have combo charges set up. If I can get a chariot in the front and some DRs in the flank, etc. I never send one of my small units on a solo mission, because yes, then they would get tarpitted. With all of the speed in this army along with a couple sacrificial units of foot troops, I have no problem getting combination charges and wide open flanks.

My list is something like this:

Lvl 4 Sorceress on pegasus, darkstar cloak, heartstone pendant
Lvl 2 Sorceress on steed, 2 scrolls
Noble on steed, hvy arm, shld, lance, seal of Ghrond
Noble on steed, hvy arm, shld, lance
10 Corsairs
10 Corsairs
10 Warriors xbows
5 DR w/xbow
5 DR w/xbow
5 DR
5 Harpies
12 Executioners
2 Chariots
2 RBTs

This is what I normally run at 2000 pts. There are no banners in order to deny points. Sometimes I'll put one of the nobles on a pegasus with the Staff of Khairadon (?) just for fun. I have a very good win record with this list, and it eats HE for breakfast, which is one of the most common armies I see at the moment. I have yet to lose to them with this army.

Doug

_Lucian_
02-07-2008, 13:29
Current competitive dark elf lists generally focus around a xbow and RBT defense with strong magic dominance or the very fast DR based lists similar to aforce's list (although its even more focused). I believe though from my understanding of the new coming rules that all infantry lists will become not only viable but very competitive. So far i believe the D/E are in a position to pull off any generic tactic extremely well (possibly even an elite horde with 6pt basic warriors ~ although only time will tell)