PDA

View Full Version : Uruk-hai Testudo

Apple Dave
27-10-2005, 14:06
Howdy all, not sure if this belongs here or in the LOTR board but as its rule modding i stuck it here.

In the LOTR The Two Towers when the Uruk-hai are advancing up the causeway with the battering ram they form a Roman style Testudo with their shields. Ive been thinking that if a basic uruk with sword and shield has a defence of 6 and a pikeman of 5 i have come up with the modified stats for a Testudo.

It takes half of the models movement to form it.
It can only be made with upwards of 4 uruk's.
The front and top (for use with volley fire rules and trebuchets etc) of the formation has a defence of 8/9 (yet to pick)
The sides and rear have a defence of 5.

It can also be applied to other races such as men and possibly orcs.

Well theres the idea, what do you guys and gals think of it.

warlordgrubnatz
27-10-2005, 16:04
hmm, its intresting. I woudl make the top defence 8 and say that there needs to be at least 6 uruks to form one.

immortal99
27-10-2005, 19:12
don't the often have sheilds out at the side to?

Emresh
27-10-2005, 21:01
hmm, its intresting. I woudl make the top defence 8 and say that there needs to be at least 6 uruks to form one.

Yeah, I'm not sure about requiring six models to do this but a D8 for the front and top, with D5 on the sides and rear definately sounds about right (for Uruk-Hai anyway.)

Apple Dave
27-10-2005, 22:17
Yeah most of the Roman ones had shields to the sides of them, in the end its just about whether or not the Uruk player wants shields at the side. This game definatly has some advantages such as in seige games and ones where you need a certain hero off the board alive.

The main reason i came up with the idea was as a way of shielding my brand new crossbow men and berserkers from the pretty strength 3 sticks of the elves.

How many models do you think it should take to make up a testudo formation Emresh?

Emresh
27-10-2005, 23:58
How many models do you think it should take to make up a testudo formation Emresh?

I'm honestly not sure. In reality, I suppose you could make a minor one with as little as two people, but the question is what would be fair in the game. The movie essentially has them in a long collumn but that was necessary for the purposes of going up the causeway. Maybe make it 10 to match up against the current volley rules? (That may require adjusting the move penalty though...:eyebrows: )

The Judge
31-10-2005, 10:25
It justs seems to be turning the game into regimented ranks like WHFB...

Minimum 10 guys in my opinion...but would any other armies be allowed to do it?