PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnions How are they played?

Mr.terminatorbob
01-07-2008, 20:40
Hey all, I'm considering starting Warhammer Fantasy, and have come across the biggest problem so far. I cant decide! But I'm pretty sure I want to play as the Bret's.

However, before I make 'the big buy', I want to understand the way this armie play's.

Bretonnions, from what I understand, rely on the Cavalry charge to cause the most damage, and use peasents as meat sheilds or Archers, or Trebuchut guards? Also, their almost always outnumbered, but are all cavalry units except the Peasents.

Is this correct?

][nquist0r
01-07-2008, 20:45
Nah, you wouldnt want to shield your knights with peasants, they would block the charges. Brets are ALL about the charge. Sadly this is also their greatest weakness. You will usually face opponents that bait and flee so they can countercharge (If they are mobile that is of course.) Magic wise there is really nothing going on so your bowman and treb are all you have for shooting. As you will hear it be said Brets are kind of a point and click army. Now I'llsit back and get flamed. *shrug*

Marwynn
01-07-2008, 21:10
Brets are all about cavalry. This involves maneuver and charging in as fast as possible. Your shooting is meant to be a distraction or a softener until you charge in.

Don't go lance formation with just 6 knights, it's best to go that wide instead. But for larger units then go ahead.

Peasants are basically fodder. Their shooting is nice to have to pick off enemy fast cavalry who'll try to slow down (march block) your knights or to even thin out your opponent's own range shooters. Oh and the bowmen have some nice surprises like flaming arrows.

Magic-wise they're defensive.

They're a fun, if rather straightforward army to play.

heretics bane
01-07-2008, 21:28
Brets are all about cavalry. This involves maneuver and charging in as fast as possible. Your shooting is meant to be a distraction or a softener until you charge in.

Don't go lance formation with just 6 knights, it's best to go that wide instead. But for larger units then go ahead.

Peasants are basically fodder. Their shooting is nice to have to pick off enemy fast cavalry who'll try to slow down (march block) your knights or to even thin out your opponent's own range shooters. Oh and the bowmen have some nice surprises like flaming arrows.

Magic-wise they're defensive.

They're a fun, if rather straightforward army to play.

I wouldnt automaticly label Brets as "all about cavalry" true they probebly have the best cav in the game but ive seen extremely well built peasant armies trounce greater armies with out any need for any cavalry at all.

As for magic,they play mainly defense but they do have quite a nifty arsenal of offensive mojo(bears anger anyone?) and there magic models look very cool

Mr.terminatorbob
01-07-2008, 21:42
ehh....Bretonnion's might not be the army I want to play with. However, I'm still going to be buying a unit of knights just for fun. Thanks for informing me. Now, empire looks appealing..

W A L 5 H Y
01-07-2008, 21:56
Hey dont let anybody put you off doing an army that you like. IMO Brets are one of the best armies in the game when used to there full advantage(although this is true with all armies) the truth is that all the WFB armies have the strengths and weaknesses!

i personally think that a whole knight army is the way to go. (especially if you like the look of them) they are quick, they all have a 2+ save so an army wont be able to shoot it down easilly (unless thats all the opponent focuses on, in that case you would just be unlucky!) True enough there isnt a lot of magic there to amuse you, but theres nothing more fun then smashing a flank in with a lord and his mob of grail hard men!

Go for the army that you like the look of and love the background and you'll find a way of getting that winning list simply by playing a few matches and seeing what works and what doesnt. Or just do what most people do and ask your local GW staff (works for me and my mates!)

Gimp
01-07-2008, 21:59
Peasants work well to guard the flanks of the Knights.

Try buying the army books of both brets and empire and use armies made up of paper for a couple of games and see which you like best.

Marwynn
01-07-2008, 22:10
I wouldnt automaticly label Brets as "all about cavalry" true they probebly have the best cav in the game but ive seen extremely well built peasant armies trounce greater armies with out any need for any cavalry at all.

As for magic,they play mainly defense but they do have quite a nifty arsenal of offensive mojo(bears anger anyone?) and there magic models look very cool

So they just have the most variety of cavalry in the game, some of the strongest types too, and their use the majority of the time is an all-cav force.

But they're not all about cavalry.

They have what? Three units that aren't (Grail Reliqae, Yeoman, Peasant Bowmen)? Yes, they can be taken out in mostly peasant blocks. Yes balanced lists are quite doable. But the army itself is still all about cavalry. The fact that they can be used differently is a plus to the army as a whole.

I'm being a jerk but this guy is new. Peasant-heavy armies are exceptions rather than the rule.

If you're unsure exactly of what you want may I suggest starting with Empire? They have excellent choices and can take the form of almost anything out there. From all shooting armies, to all cavalry armies, balanced infantry to hordes of crazies, the Empire has it all. Well everything but a reliable way of dealing with Ethereals...

Read your store's copy of the Army Books. They'll be glad to help you out.

mithrandir
02-07-2008, 11:44
If you love to paint figures then by all means collect Bretonnians. They are an army that should be collected by diehard gamers who love all aspects of the hobby. Having to paint a possible ( 50 ) knights on horses, all with heraldry, is no small task but who among us doesn't love the thought of knights in shining armour charging heroically across the field of battle! That is basically the foundation premise of this game. Have fun if you choose 'em but don't get frustrated.

Mozzamanx
02-07-2008, 13:35
1- Mass your knights into lances
2- Work out the enemy force's centre of gravity
3- Fire off lances at this point
4- ???
5- Profit!