PDA

View Full Version : falcons- good for what?

ChaosBeast
01-07-2008, 21:45
i recently recieved a cloudstrike squAdron of 3 falcons as a gift. i do not yet have the codex but ive read through parts of it.

i looked at the armament of the falcon including upgrades and wondered, what is it useful for?
its shuriken blaster has a 12" range, and the pulse laser is either S5 or 6. so the only good i can see it doing is just to shoot light infantry at close range, and since its most powerful armament is S8 it isnt great for taking out heavy tanks. so apart from a spot of HQ hunting, what can it actually do?

ankara halla
01-07-2008, 21:58
The Falcon is actually one of the most powerful tanks in the game and even after the nerfs it'll suffer in 5th edition it'll still be among the best of the best at what it does.

Read the codex and it'll all come to you.

Gensuke626
01-07-2008, 22:14
i recently recieved a cloudstrike squAdron of 3 falcons as a gift. i do not yet have the codex but ive read through parts of it.

i looked at the armament of the falcon including upgrades and wondered, what is it useful for?
its shuriken blaster has a 12" range, and the pulse laser is either S5 or 6. so the only good i can see it doing is just to shoot light infantry at close range, and since its most powerful armament is S8 it isnt great for taking out heavy tanks. so apart from a spot of HQ hunting, what can it actually do?

lol. That's funny OP...

Oh wait...you're being serious...:eek:

Ok...First of the bright lance has a nifty rule. It's called "lance" and it reduces AV to 12, so that S8 that's isn't great for taking out heavy tanks? It is. It's better than a Las Cannon.

Pulse Laser? That's a 2 shot S8 Lascannon, No Lance...but still a good weapon for Med vehicle work.

You're thinking of the scatter laser, 4 s6 shots...great for infantry work.

Get yourself the codex and read up on it boy-o. You're WAY off the mark.

Lord Cook
01-07-2008, 22:45
What are falcons good for?

- Pretty much anything.

Sanctjud
01-07-2008, 23:06
They are good for:

-VP denial.
-Sucking up AT fire.
-Delivery of cargo.
-Weight of Fire if they need too.
-Fast.
-Force Target Priority.
-Claim Objectives.

And some more.

It's the only thing I call cheese, The Cheese Falcon...(google it, Ninjabread FTW).

My 7 Cents.

kittenslayer
02-07-2008, 01:27
Falcons are awsome, 2 shot laser cannon!!! They slay my hammerheads pretty well too :(

The Avari
02-07-2008, 01:30
falcons are real nice with holo fields, makes them near impossible to destroy

Mr. Shine
02-07-2008, 02:47
From another perspective, they're gorgous models. Especially considering how archaic they are.

Captin Korea!
02-07-2008, 02:56
Its like the eldars best tank, so its good at everything. Read up on falcon tactica!

LususNaturae
02-07-2008, 07:17
Since noone has been completely clear...

Read the Holo-Fields upgrade. Keep in mind that (under current rules) the Falcon can only be glanced.

Then read the Spirit Stones entry.

Put a little bit of thought into it and you'll see that once the Falcon starts moving, if it has HF, SS, and vectored engines, your opponent has a 1/36 chance of destroying it...after rolling to hit and for pen.

That survivability, coupled with the fact that it has very high firepower and a small transport capacity, makes it one of the most versatile tanks in the game. It can deliver a small elite squad where it needs to be safely and quickly, and survive long enough to grab objectives in the final turns, all while laying down a hail of firepower.

Yea. It's a good tank. :)

Carlos
02-07-2008, 08:54
Im probably the one player in the game that hates the damn things. Holofields are all well and good but a capacity of 6 isnt doing you any favours. That crappy BS of 3 means you will miss most things most of the time and Holofields never seem to do the trick. My opponent always manages to roll a 5 and a 6 or thereabouts. Waste of points.

Id convert them all into wave serpents as there you at least have twin-linked re-rolls, only 1 main weapon (thus you always get to shoot full armament), a better shield and under 5th edition a much better transporter as you can cram 10 harlequins in there in you like! They work out cheaper and allow you to keep your heavy support slots free for useful things like wraithlords, Fire Prisms (which are now mandatory given the new blast rules) and D-cannons (which are one of the best weapons in the game under the new blast rules)

The_Outsider
02-07-2008, 09:00
Im probably the one player in the game that hates the damn things. Holofields are all well and good but a capacity of 6 isnt doing you any favours. That crappy BS of 3 means you will miss most things most of the time and Holofields never seem to do the trick. My opponent always manages to roll a 5 and a 6 or thereabouts. Waste of points.

Lots of people hate them, just not eldar players.

Grindgodgrind
02-07-2008, 10:11
In my experience, using a Falcon with your Eldar will often make an opponent panic. Some people will worry about this 'indestructible' tank that they've heard so much about and pump shot after shot into it. And I also thought they were BS4, but I don't often carry my codices to work with me :P

Son of Makuta
02-07-2008, 11:47

Id convert them all into wave serpents as there you at least have twin-linked re-rolls, only 1 main weapon (thus you always get to shoot full armament), a better shield and under 5th edition a much better transporter as you can cram 10 harlequins in there in you like! They work out cheaper and allow you to keep your heavy support slots free for useful things like wraithlords, Fire Prisms (which are now mandatory given the new blast rules) and D-cannons (which are one of the best weapons in the game under the new blast rules)

How big can I get this thing to display the letters Q.F.T.?

BS3 = Sucks.
Only 6 transport = Sucks.
Fire Prisms = Awesome.
Wave Serpents = Fragile, but they can carry 10 guys so...
Falcons, therefore = Not as good.

Kildash
02-07-2008, 12:29
How big can I get this thing to display the letters Q.F.T.?

BS3 = Sucks.
Only 6 transport = Sucks.
Fire Prisms = Awesome.
Wave Serpents = Fragile, but they can carry 10 guys so...
Falcons, therefore = Not as good.

wow, way to rant there... BS3 still hits with 50% of the shots, so a scatterlaser-shurikencannon-pulselaser falcon will still hit with 4 or 5 shots, each of which wound on 2+... besides, lot's of guys in the 40k universe have it... imperial guard-> BS3, and you don't hear them saying "ow i'm not going to use it...

6 transport is more than enough for, say, fire dragons, 10 fire dragons in a wave serpent is overkill anyway...

Fire Prisms are in my opinion not that good, unless against GEQ's, but suck against MEQ's, yeah, you could link to to get S6AP3 large blast, but how many points did you just waste? But of course this is just my opinion, i haven't used them yet, so go ahead.

Wave Serpents are good transports, and as you said a bit more fragile, but the Energy Field helps. More is not always better though...

falcons are good, just accept it. The are just not the GOD-tank some people talk about. But they are good.

Critias
02-07-2008, 15:13
I just got into Eldar a bit, and have a bunch of Falcons and Wave Serpents...my problem now is (a) assembling them, and more importantly (b) figuring out how the crap to fit them into standard carrying cases.

I'm used to Rhinos and Razorbacks, dammit. All these round, swoopy, giant-winged Eldar vehicles are gonna make me crazy.

x-esiv-4c
02-07-2008, 15:15
apparently they ram things quite well...

Grand Master Raziel
02-07-2008, 15:27
A small recommendation: before you assemble your Falcons, get some rare earth magnets (a Google search will find you a website you can order them from). Assemble the Falcons with magnets in their points-of-attachment for their weapons. That way, you can swap out the weapons as you see fit, either to get ready for specific games, or in response to changes in the core rules. What's the most advantageous loadout in 5th edition might not be so in 6th.

Armilthuan
02-07-2008, 15:41
I think we should FALCON PUNCH! the OP.

Nah, not being serious there. :P

The Falcon's main credibility is survivability. All the extra things it can do just adds up to the fact you don't want to ignore the thing as it can still do some pretty nasty stuff.

Autocannons all the way!

ChaosBeast
02-07-2008, 17:01
ok, i didnt know about the lance rule. i think i'd prefer the shuriken cannon over twin-linked shuriken catapault, but i'm looking through my sprues and cant find one. what does it look like?

Brother Loki
02-07-2008, 17:09
It's a longer version of the shuriken catapult. I have no idea if there's actually one in the kit as I haven't seen the sprues. You may want to hold off on it though, as in 5th edition the Shuriken catapults will be defensive weapons (s5), while the Shuriken cannon will not (s5) - that may make the catapults a better choice for you.

CraftworldsRus
02-07-2008, 17:24
Just so we are clear-

1. The shuriken catapult does not come with an underside mount on the Falcon sprue, only the wave serpent sprue, for some stupid reason.

2. Pulse Lasers never get lance in normal 40k, only Apocalypse.

Also, Falcons can be guided to make up for BS3, and while people on this thread seem to be ranting about the capacity of 6, you only really need 6 of some troops, like Fire Dragons, a Farseer with a Warlock bodyguard, or Dark Reapers.

borithan
02-07-2008, 18:25
Just so we are clear-

1. The shuriken catapult does not come with an underside mount on the Falcon sprue, only the wave serpent sprue, for some stupid reason.
Its due to it being a rather old model. I think it has been around since before 3rd edition, from a time when they didn't try to provide all the possible variants. The kit I have (from the old Eldar battle force, and not that old, bought just before the new battle force came out) doesn't even have the sprue that allows you to vary the secondary weapon, so it is stuck with a scatter laser.

ChaosBeast
02-07-2008, 22:34
so there is no shuriken canon on the sprue? darn:(

Spell_of_Destruction
02-07-2008, 23:13
On paper it looks as though falcons have taken a hit. The problem I have with them now is that given their cost they don't reall bring enough to the game. I would only really opt for one over a Fire Prism to use the transport capacity but few Eldar units work well in squads of 6 - don't think that will cut it for Harlequins anymore with the new rending rules so that just leaves fire dragons.

From another perspective, they're gorgous models. Especially considering how archaic they are.

Dude, I remember when they were brand new - can't believe that it must be about 10 years ago now. It was a truly momentous event for Eldar players.

And if you thought they were cheese in 4th, they were insane in 2nd. Then again, the overall power level in 2nd was much higher than 3rd/4th/5th ed.

I still think of 3rd ed as the 'new edition' and I'm only 25 in August!