PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in army creation software?

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 02:33
So a buddy and I are going to create a army creation program for a college class that spans the whole year. It will be our end project. We are not intending it to challenge whats out there, but we would like to maybe play with some ideas and things we dont like about what we currently have.

So with that in mind, what would you change about your current system of creating an army? Also what would you absolutely keep the same about your current system? You can be specific to Warhammer Fantasy, or just in general. Thanks for the help.

sigur
02-07-2008, 02:40
Easy interface (maybe drag&drop), automatic points calculation, constant updates, it should tell you wether or not your list is properly done (-> 3+ core choices in 2000pts games, etc.).

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 02:47
Did you ever try the GW ones for 40k? They had a decent graphical interface, drag and drop. The problems were the updates. Holy god did they not update it.

Ward.
02-07-2008, 03:19
I'd like to see:

-The ability to store specific unit layouts for future use in different lists.
- A random list generator just for kicks, that can operate within a set criteria.

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 03:30
I'd like to see:

-The ability to store specific unit layouts for future use in different lists.
- A random list generator just for kicks, that can operate within a set criteria.

Wow those are fantastic! I knew a guy who did this with note cards for his guard.

cornixt
02-07-2008, 04:25
Have army files that can be updated by anyone, such as a text file (rather than the awkward Armybuilder style)
Fully customisable army roster output
Option to not automatically add the great weapon strength to the base model strength in the roster

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 04:38
Have army files that can be updated by anyone, such as a text file (rather than the awkward Armybuilder style)
Fully customisable army roster output
Option to not automatically add the great weapon strength to the base model strength in the roster

Great point. I have had many times where I couldn't tell if AB put in the extra stats or not. This is better with 3.0, but not great.

Updating the files will be interesting for sure. It will all depend on how we code it. Good thing to think about.

dodicula
02-07-2008, 05:40
Analysis of army competativeness, probabilities
i.e Lizardman units (3 dice), how likely they are to flee.
How likely is a mage to miscast on 2D6,3D6,4D6 (what if I give him ability to reroll 1 die)

Should I take unit with 5+armour and 6+ ward save, or 4 plus armour.
How will my unit fair if charged by...

KOTR, KE, Swordsmen,Lizard men.
What If I get the charge off...

ChrisAsmadi
02-07-2008, 12:38
One without a dodgy god awful licence.

*glares at AB*

theunwantedbeing
02-07-2008, 12:40
One that will buy and paint and play with my models for me, winning every single game.

Because I am too lazy to do any of that.

Jerimy
02-07-2008, 13:22
I would like to be able to use it with my mac.

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 16:02
Analysis of army competativeness, probabilities
i.e Lizardman units (3 dice), how likely they are to flee.
How likely is a mage to miscast on 2D6,3D6,4D6 (what if I give him ability to reroll 1 die)

Should I take unit with 5+armour and 6+ ward save, or 4 plus armour.
How will my unit fair if charged by...

KOTR, KE, Swordsmen,Lizard men.
What If I get the charge off...

Great idea, but that is almost a whole nother program itself. We will definitely look into it though, as that is a solid feature to have in there.

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 16:03
One without a dodgy god awful licence.

*glares at AB*

ROFL. Actually I just found out last night that mine is going to expire. So just another reason to make my own.

Gazak Blacktoof
02-07-2008, 16:10
A graphical output for unit formations that you can drag characters into so that you can create a virtual battle line.

When I'm working out what should be in my army I tend to look at where it will fit into my plans.

A value for the number of deplyment choices might also be handy as an additional assessment of the army.

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 16:11
I would like to be able to use it with my mac.

Yeah I was kind of surprised to find out that AB didnt work on there. Sadly I know nothing about mac programming, having only used one a few times. Definitely on the list of good features, and hell maybe we could market this to Mac users if we get it working right?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

sergentzimm
02-07-2008, 16:54
A graphical output for unit formations that you can drag characters into so that you can create a virtual battle line.

When I'm working out what should be in my army I tend to look at where it will fit into my plans.

A value for the number of deplyment choices might also be handy as an additional assessment of the army.

Yeah that is a good idea. Have it kind of look like how they do the battle reports for WD? Just a simple deployment strategy would do wonders for sure.

Gazak Blacktoof
02-07-2008, 17:43
Yeah just coloured/ marked blocks so you can do a basic diagram.

Further to that it might be nice if you could add notes and arrows.

Onidan
02-07-2008, 18:20
Hm, what do I want in an army builder...

Easy interface, easy to update (maybe even by yourself), legality check for your army. Thatīs the basic stuff.

Advanced stuff would be the allready mentioned graphical feedback, or a option to suggest what would be possible with those few points left. More often than not I find myself a bunch of points short, but everything I could think of would get me too far over the limit. A little hint here would be cool ^^

Lord Snerual
02-07-2008, 18:33
maybe you could in pics of every unit in it, that makes it more...into warhammer (and pics ... you can find them everywhere)

Wargamejunkie
02-07-2008, 21:04
I would want one that would allow me to change unit stats without having to read a manual to do it. **Insert rant about old AB files**

Drag and drop interface.

In fact if you just mixed GW's and AB's I think that would be the best combination.

Braad
02-07-2008, 21:44
The option to create your own stuff and do illegal things, if you want to.

One of the reasons I'm using excell for everything is purely the freedom it gives.

sergentzimm
03-07-2008, 15:33
For those of you who want to be able to update it simply yourself; Is this due to errors or the length of time it takes to update a new codex?

Lord Snerual
03-07-2008, 15:36
when is it finished do you think, if you are going to work all this plans out, i would see the finished program of course

sergentzimm
03-07-2008, 16:11
Yes we will definitely share the program with you all. We are so excited about it that we are starting early before our classes even start!

Godfiend
03-07-2008, 21:47
We want to update it due to the time it takes for updates to come from the more "official" sources. Having a built-in GUI to update as part of the program would be pretty cool.

Also, less annoying popups than AB would be nice :). And more keyboard functionality, so you can use it instead of just point & click if you so wish.

On another note, what class is this for? This sounds pretty cool!

sergentzimm
03-07-2008, 21:55
It is for a higher up computer science class. Its a project based class that is the culmination of the degree.

Grimir
04-07-2008, 06:04
I really like the picture idea.

I would like it to auto add points, and maybe somewhere on the overall gui keep a unit type counter, like how many units of each type are currently on the list, like 2 specials, 3 cores etc. In like some boxes out of the top, and then also the maxs and mins for them near there, so on the fly you can look and see what you have, what you need and what you have room for.

Also since I play dwarves, I would like a easy to use window or something for doing runic weapons.

Also I am studying Computer Engineering at MSOE, so if you want more suggestions on like actually programming it or w/e shoot me an email and I would be more than willing to help out as it seems like a cool project.

EdFireborn
04-07-2008, 13:45
Mac capabilities (since i just got 1 and i love it), easy to pick up interface for people like me that take a few uses to learn the ins and outs of a program.... updates, model stats and ability to export to .txt or create an image of the list .jpg or something...