PDA

View Full Version : Charging and challenges

riven5
02-07-2008, 02:13
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here, so somebody help me out please. As far as I know, you can issue a challenge when charged by an enemy so long as they do not issue one first. First let me explain the example scenario I'm considering.

My unit of 5 Cold One Knights with full command and an accompanying Master BSB mounted on a Cold One with the Hydra Banner rides into battle. The enemy they charge is some random mob of hooligans, perhaps Marauders with a champion. The Marauder champion issues a challenge to the BSB, who has nowhere to run, and therefore must accept the challenge (or have the CoK champ do it in his stead). So how does combat work out? Does the benefit of the Hydra banner still affect the Cold One Knights? Is the challenge resolved before the rest of the combat, is it done simultaneously, or do the CoKs and marauders simply not battle, instead letting their champs duke it out?

I'm inclined to believe that the charge goes off as standard, but by accepting a challenge there is the possibility of the BSB getting skooshed by some magnificent hero or lord in the Marauder unit. Hence why you don't want to issue challenges all the time. Am I wrong?

I guess my major concern is the viability of a Hydra Banner wielding BSB in a unit of CoKs. It seems a great way to make the Knights into absolute devastators, but if a champion can issue a challenge and muck up the whole charge, then what's the point?

ehlijen
02-07-2008, 02:55
You might want to reread the challenge section in the rule book as you seem to have some misconceptions about how it works.

To answer your specific questions:
The challenge fighters fight at their normal initative steps, they are just restricted in who they can attack. The challenge is neither fought before, after or instead of the combat, but in addition to and during.
As long as the character is alive (and whether in a unit or not) his items affect his unit if that's what they do.
Yes, if you accept with the BSB, he can get killed, but not before the initative step of the opponent. Until then, his items work.
It is generally not a good idea to issue or accept challenges with the BSB (exceptions exist though).
What do you mean by that last question? I do not understand what you are asking there. How can the champion muck up the whole charge as you put it?

sulla
02-07-2008, 04:37
but if a champion can issue a challenge and muck up the whole charge, then what's the point?

A character (including champions) issues a challenge. Then his opponent chooses which valid character (including champions) to accept. In other words, if you have a champ in the cold one unit, and he is in the combat, you can always accept with him instead. You would only have to accept with the BSB if he was the only character in the combat.

The Red Scourge
02-07-2008, 05:16
It will be written for each individual item entry if the items effect is affected by a challenge :)

TheDarkDaff
02-07-2008, 12:16
ehlijen & sulla have it pretty much right. The only mistakes (or omissions) they made are that a Challenge has no effect on the striking order (ie chargers still strike first) and only Characters or Champions that are actually fighting (ie they have to be in base to base contact with the enemy) can issue or accept challenges.

Loopstah
02-07-2008, 12:23
Just accept the challenge with your Champion.

Then the BSB doesn't have to worry about getting killed in the challenge.

Malagant
02-07-2008, 16:50
The key thing I note in the OP's post is this:

The Marauder champion issues a challenge to the BSB

The Marauder champion does not get to issue a challenge to a particular character...he just issues a challenge. It's up to YOU (the challenged) to determine which of your characters in that combat (not necessarily in contact with the challenger, just to the combat) accepts the challenge. Models are then moved so that the challengers are in contact.