PDA

View Full Version : Most Effective Superheavy

AllisterCaine
02-07-2008, 05:21
What do you think is the most effective superheavy tanks used by the Imperial Guard? I love Stormswords, love the idea, the model, everything. And frankly, I think its the best one out there as far as rules go as well. Whats your opinion?

I voted the Stormsword because for 450 points, you pretty much get the best main weapon out of all the super heavies. 10" blast at S10 Ap1 (or is it 2?) that ignores cover? Not to mention the command tank rule which is actually pretty important to IG infantry. And seeing how cover is going to be a HUGE deal in 5th edition, Im thinking that any weapon that ignores cover will now be taken much more seriously. And the Stormsword has 3 of them. I actually converted the heavy flamer on mine (its the old one) to make it look more like the new one, but with two nozzles instead of one. I use it as a twin linked Inferno cannon. Even made a new datasheet which had that upgrade- 100 points to replace both heavy flamers with the infernos.

Inquisitor Engel
02-07-2008, 05:32
Only tanks? I was going to suggest the Warlord Titan. :(

Macharius Vanquishers are a PAIN the only two times I've faced them.

AllisterCaine
02-07-2008, 05:40
Really? I never figured them to be much of a threat. A ridiculous price coupled with light defensive weaponry. Twin linked AT rounds does sound intimidating though. I need to edit the first post so that more of an explanation should be provided along wit the opinion.

Promethius
02-07-2008, 08:44
The Shadowsword is brutal just because it kills all of those Baneblades everyone has been buying ;)

Vaktathi
02-07-2008, 08:49
In terms of raw points effectiveness, I'd say the basic Baneblade wins out easily. Forgeworld can't appropriately cost an IG vehicle for crap, and thus in any comparison of relative killiness for points paid, the Macharius (especially the very cool looking but hideously overcosted VMB variant, why bother with 15 BS3 shots that will hit with 7 or 8 when you can just hit them with a 10" pieplate that hits harder and has a ton of other weapons and more survivability for only 25-75pts more?) comes up extremely short, and the BB variants just lack so much of the firepower of the basic BB in many cases that their ~10% discount doesn't make up for it.

Khornies & milk
02-07-2008, 08:54
Virtually all our games including Apoc games, are played on a CoD board and the Hellhammer's ability to negate cover saves makes it very killy, so I voted for it.
I would say that the Stormsword is equally as effective.

And it's AP2 on the Siege Cannon.

Hokiecow
02-07-2008, 11:19
The Scorprion Grav Tank, it can easily handle those tnaks listed.

Son of Makuta
02-07-2008, 11:52
Revenant Titan Revenant Titan Revenant Titan.... *head explodes*

Damn I want one of those. :D

x-esiv-4c
02-07-2008, 11:54
As far as tanks go, I like the shadowsword. You are pretty much guarenteed something big dies each turn.

Noserenda
02-07-2008, 11:54
From IA 1 the Baneblade is easily the best, and the newer ones have yet to impress me :chrome: although the potential is there, as fort he Xenos ones, the Gun Heirodule is nasty.

galahad67
02-07-2008, 15:21
I voted for the Mach/VMB

I have fielded 2 mach/vmbs, 1 mach/vanq, and 1 blade in my most recent apoc games.

the blade and the mach/vanq were gone by the end of turn 1 - they were target priorities for the opposition. Poof. and the blade took out the landraider squadron as well.

one the oher hand the Mach/vmbs cleared their respective table ends quite well and set my sid up for a win. one Mach/vmb cleared the hill objective of kroot and firewarriors and opened up the Opp Forces Linear defence station to Jump marine assault. It did very little against the Tau Defence nodes despite many shots - just not high enough fire power...

the other Mach/VMB cleared the other end of the table - taking out many Firewarriors and the Tau command unit, clearing the way for the Grey Knights and marine foot sloggers to take 2 more objectives.

While the blades are better against heavily armoured warmachines the mach/vmb is great vs infantry. Har to win any game, even apoc, without infantry.

the new datasheet for a troop transport baneblade with a VMB armnament sounds like nasty and relatively inexpensive way to get some serious anti-infantry firepower on the table.

Grindgodgrind
02-07-2008, 15:39
From what I've seen, the Stormblade is fantastic.

AllisterCaine
02-07-2008, 16:01
How good is the Stormblade? I personally never saw a reason to take that over the Baneblade- for another 50 points you get another TL-HB, and a demolisher cannon, which is pretty impressive. Or for that matter, the Stormsword- same 10" blast, S10 Ap2 as well, but ignores cover.

Never saw the reason for a Mach/VMB either. Wouldnt you get the same or even better result with a Baneblade or even a Mach/Vanq for its versatility?

Please know that Im not trying to put down other peoples opinions, Im just very interested on what other people think are the most effective tanks out there and -why- that is.

Grindgodgrind
02-07-2008, 16:13
I think the reason with the Stormblade is the rule of cool. What's cooler than a stonking great plasma cannon? Using one of those to block a major concourse in an Apocalypse Cities of Death game was damned fun. It excels at killing big stuff, and the plasma annihilator can be used to wipe out big horde units, too.

Godgolden
02-07-2008, 16:17
stormblade, plasma blastgun of deathie killyness

plus.. what other titan class weapon can 'rapid fire'? =P its just funny.

Chem-Dog
02-07-2008, 16:19
Of the tanks listed the Baneblade wins out by a long chalk, it's versatility and range are without peer.

electric
02-07-2008, 16:39
I kind of wish you listed the Stormhammer. That tank would be incredible if it came to 40k.

Of the ones you listed, though, I'd choose the Shadowsword. Before all these neat new tanks and titans came out, the Shadowsword was that amazing titan hunter weapon and just looks plain cool (how can you not like a gun on a tank that requires it's own bipod?)

Col. Tartleton
02-07-2008, 17:31
Manta bomber:

It can fly, hover, has tl heavy rail guns which are a 108" S10 AP1 weapon with an optional scatter shot thats S7 AP3.

3 TL LB Ion Cannons which are 90" S7 AP3 heavy 3 blast (ie. 9 TL S7 AP3 blasts)

10 S8 AP3 (marine hunting) seeker missiles.

16 Assault 3 burst cannons!

and some TL missile pods.

And a ton of complimentary gear and the fact you can put 8 battle suits 4 tanks and a half dozen squads of FWs in the field.

Yeah sure its like 2k points, but it'll kill more than that.