PDA

View Full Version : vampire counts tournament army 2K

Gharof von Carstein
02-07-2008, 15:31
my first tournament, my first tournament army. here's the laydown.

Lord
Count mannfred w/ barding, skull staff, book of arkhan = 595p

Heroes
Konrad von carstein = 145p
Vampire; ghoulkin, summon ghouls, staff of damnation = 180p
Vampire; avatar of death, summon ghouls, helm of commandment, black periapt = 180p

Rare
Varghulf = 175p
Blood knights x5 full command, banner of blood keep = 400p

Special
Fell bats x3 = 60p

Core
Ghouls w/ ghast 10 = 88p
Ghouls w/ ghast 10 = 88p
Ghouls w/ ghast 10 = 88p

total = 1999p

Count manny is my lord of choice cuz I have nothing but love for the guy. He goes with the blood knights to cancel out the martial honour and to make sure that he doesnt get shot to bits. should he get challenged the kastellan can step in if i dont think ill be able to win.

konrad might be a pretty off choice but I love the guy. the fact he kan just keep attacking and dishing out the hurt to obscene numbers is what makes this guy a regular for me. ill probably put him in the left or right ghoul unit which will form up my center units.

the vampires are a mix of combat support and raising and moving the ghouls up. i could have replaced the one with avatar of death for a magic skill but in a unit with no armour save id rather go for some combat support over more magic dice (thats what mannfred is for) the black periapt is in there because i think its great. ill probably wont be using all his dice every magic phase so saving them up is a nice option.

the ghouls are just great id like to make the units bigger but from experience i know i dont need to. the raising will be big and mannfred can replace casualties. while the vamps just keep adding up.

the fell bats are for machine hunting and flanking and can help shield the blood knights. aldo i think ill be summoning lines of zombies for that.

the varghulf is a mad powerhouse. that can help keep my flanks save while intercepting everything aimed at my blood knights which i can charge in after the varghulf softens them up, or ill put him on the other flank to dish out fast moving hurt.

so any thought?

Stinkfoot
02-07-2008, 17:29
The only two models in your army that have summon ghouls are level 1 casters, meaning you can throw four dice with them at most. That's just not gonna work. Your ghouls units are too small for your meager raising potential. Really, in an army lead my Mannfred you should be using skeletons, since he actually has LotD. Ghouls are a good unit, but you need to use a standard lord with Summon Ghouls if you want to use them.

You have too many points on expensive units. You only have 43 models on the field, and not that much raising potential. You need to lose a vampire (which is fine if you switch to skeletons and let Mannfred do the raising), and probably switch the blood knights for black knights. Frenzied cavalry isn't that great anyway, every time I've used them (admittedly, only twice) they chased a pistolier unit that cost 1/4 as much as them around all game. With the freed up points buy bigger ghoul units and maybe some wraiths or a second unit of black knights.

Can Mannfred really have two arcane items? Army Builder says he can, but I think that's probably a mistake. I'm pretty sure the actual army book says he may have one.

Saldiven
02-07-2008, 18:31
Nope, he can have any two arcane items from the list in the Vampires book.

Stinkfoot
02-07-2008, 19:28
Alright, I yield the point. Regardless, the rest of what I said holds true.

Gharof von Carstein
04-07-2008, 02:47
Lord
Vampire Lord; nightmare, Master of the black arts, +magic level, summon ghouls, forbidden lore(lore of the beasts), the flayed hauberk, the book of arkhan, black periapt, = 430p

Heroes
Konrad von carstein = 145p
Vampire; ghoulkin, summon ghouls, staff of damnation = 180p
Vampire; avatar of death, summon ghouls, helm of commandment, talisman of the lycni= 175p

Rare
Varghulf = 175p

Special
Fell bats x3 = 60p
Black knights x5; full command and barded steeds + standard of hellish vigour = 205p
Grave Guard x15; full command and GW + banner of the barrows = 270p

Core
Ghouls w/ ghast 14 = 120p

total = 2000p

took another look at my list and came up with a 2k army on the dot. created my own lord which can help pump up my ghasts and vampires with bears anger to make some spicy little challenges I also love the missile spells from the beast lore along with the beasts cower to slow down enemy cavalry. black knights are the clean up crew. the lord has a nightmare for AS and for manouverability. increased the ghoul units and made it so that everyone can raise them now. adding the Grave guard was also fun. I couldnt manage getting 20 but 15 should suffice.

better?