PDA

View Full Version : Why are Black Library so stupid?

Shibboleth
02-07-2008, 16:00
I've just noticed the latest installment in the HH series is available for order on the BL site, yay, but they've gone and done it, yet again.

In beautiful gold lettering printed on the front cover is the phrase "The latest installment in the best-selling Horus Heresy series."

Oh,
Derrrr!!!
:wtf:

Now nearly all my HH books have the same phrase printed on them, and only one of them is actually the latest.

Why can't they just print, "The 7th/8th/nth installment in the blah, blah, blah..." that way each would still be relevant as it surpassed, and not screw up the front covers.

Why does it even need to be done at all?
Do they really need to advertise the product, on the product, especially in such a stupid way?
Anyone wanting to know what order the books come in can just open the cover and check the listing inside - that's what it's printed for.

M'eh. Maybe I'm just too picky in wanting perfect presentation for my collection? :rolleyes:

Thanatos_elNyx
02-07-2008, 16:27
An even better reason to print the numbers on them is so you know what order to read them in.

Reinnon
02-07-2008, 16:33
because at time of printing its true?

copy and paste is a wonderful thing

Richter Kless
02-07-2008, 16:36
Wow, when people start whining about this, you know the fanbase has reached a new deep.

Promethius
02-07-2008, 16:45
I don't know, I think the OP has a point. Another thing I was delighted (cough) to notice on the back of my latest aquisition from the BL, The Killing Ground, was a list of reviews for different novels by the same author. Now, I may be being dense here, but surely if the new novel was any good (which I personally think it is, compared to the usual BL fare) why wasn't a reviewer able to read it and give a nice soundbite for the latest installment? I suspect that the reason is that the entire review is mostly negative, with a positive soundbite or two, and that the BL have fished out a few for their most popular authors so that they don't have to submit the majority of their books to mainstream reviewers. If the BL want to put reviews on the back of their books, it would be nice if they made sure that the review was for the same book.

EVIL INC
02-07-2008, 16:47
I can perfectly understand why they put it on there. It's not meant to grab the attention of those of us who already know whats going on. Its to get new readers who will look at it and think "Mmmm must be good as its a bestseller. I think I'll check it out". its a gimmick to get new readers. then again, at the time of printing, it IS the latest and blasting that out on the cover gets the attention of those who want "new" stuff.
Personally, I would prefer numbering. Even if not a huge " The Seventh Installment", at least a little seventh installment on the back cover or a little "7" in a front corner or something.

Chem-Dog
02-07-2008, 16:48
Wow, when people start whining about this, you know the fanbase has reached a new deep.

Actually, Shibboleth has a point here, it appears a little bit lazy, especially as you have to assume that virtually everyone who's picking up the book is going to know what it's about, what the series is and probably has read the first chapter already...

This is not to say that BL shouldn't attempt to court outside interest in their books BUT unlike most occasions when you see "The latest... blah blah blah" on the front of a book this isn't the continued adventures of an established character that the author churns out every 18-24 months, this is a combined effort of many authors which has a release about every 4 months.

Col. Tartleton
02-07-2008, 16:55
I read BL books before i started 40k, based solely on the cover art. That and I'd collected some fantasy in the past. I think that little things like book numbers or the latest do very little to sell the book. Its all cover art and the first few pages. If those are good you sell the book.

Marshal Argos
03-07-2008, 09:19
Ok, so this is completely off topic, and if someone would rather PM me with an answer that's fine. Is this a British English thing? "Why are Black Library so stupid?" using "are" instead of "is"? I see this all over different boards when referring to GW, BL, or FW and after seeing the topic here, I just couldn't take it anymore and had to ask.

On Topic: Having it say the latest installment on the cover is just fine with me. You only have to open the cover to see the chronological order of the books anyways so it's not that big of a deal.

Crazy Ivan
03-07-2008, 09:32
I don't know, I think the OP has a point. Another thing I was delighted (cough) to notice on the back of my latest aquisition from the BL, The Killing Ground, was a list of reviews for different novels by the same author. Now, I may be being dense here, but surely if the new novel was any good (which I personally think it is, compared to the usual BL fare) why wasn't a reviewer able to read it and give a nice soundbite for the latest installment? I suspect that the reason is that the entire review is mostly negative, with a positive soundbite or two, and that the BL have fished out a few for their most popular authors so that they don't have to submit the majority of their books to mainstream reviewers. If the BL want to put reviews on the back of their books, it would be nice if they made sure that the review was for the same book.

Not that I want to particularly defend Black Library here, but that is actually a pretty usual way of promoting a new book, practised by many publishers. It is usual for reviews to be written from the printed version of a book, therefore, it is usually impossible to print reviews of the book itself on its cover during the first print run. If a book is succesfull enough to warrant another print run, the cover might be changed to contain reviews of the book in question. Printing reviews of other books by the same author on the cover is still a service to the buyer, as it shows at least that the author had some success in the past.

Jos
03-07-2008, 09:36
Sounds like any random (major) book series to me

Spacker
03-07-2008, 11:42
Ok, so this is completely off topic, and if someone would rather PM me with an answer that's fine. Is this a British English thing? "Why are Black Library so stupid?" using "are" instead of "is"? I see this all over different boards when referring to GW, BL, or FW and after seeing the topic here, I just couldn't take it anymore and had to ask.

I'm not a grammar expert by any means, but I can see both are acceptable - Black Library (or any other company) is both a single entity (for the use of "is"), and a collection of people (for the use of "are").

IJW
03-07-2008, 12:09
Not that I want to particularly defend Black Library here, but that is actually a pretty usual way of promoting a new book, practised by many publishers.
Yep. Absolutely standard stuff. It's a logistical nightmare trying to get a review of the actual book on the first print run.

RazielZian
03-07-2008, 12:10
Correct about the grammar, its all relative perspective, if you are talking about et company as a whole, then you should ise 'is' if you are talking about a collection of authers and editors then 'are' is correct.

The use of which denotes the posters relative perspective.

Jack5h1t
03-07-2008, 14:41
The Rolling Stones first album is called "England's Newest Hitmakers" (or Britain's newest... can't remember which) and that was in 1963. That's still the name of it. So don't worry about, it's pointless. I'm sure there's way more important things out there for you to get upset about.