PDA

View Full Version : 1k Empire vs. Daemons

Granitearm
02-07-2008, 20:38
Continuing the good fight against the daemons, I'm bringing Empire this time.

Here's the list:

Warrior Priest
Great Weapon
1+ Armor save
Item makes unit immune to fear

30 Halberdiers
Full Command

12 Crossbowmen

12 Free Company

25 Spearmen

12 Crossbowmen

Mortar

Mortar

Helblaster Volley Gun

I'm thinking of deploying the Helblaster in the center, flanked by the crossbowmen, with the 2 core units on the flanks. The warrior priest will go in the Spearmen.

I'm hoping this will funnel him towards my combat blocks, who i hope can take him out after he's been softened by some shooting.

Alternatively, I may flank the helblaster with one of the state units in order to prevent having such a soft center.

Thoughts?

Malorian
02-07-2008, 22:31
It would help to know what kind of deamons you will be facing.

At first glance though I would break that freecomapny into two seperate detachments for baiting.

I also hope you don't plan on getting that blessing off. He'll have at least 2 DD to stop it with.

hippodude21
03-07-2008, 11:13
get rid of crosbows 4 guns
swap 1 mortar 4 a cannon to get rid of greater deamons and heralds
having said that do not expect to mutch from the enemy on the feild as there expensive

Granitearm
03-07-2008, 13:53
Yeah, some idea of what he's taking would probably be useful wouldn't it?

He usually takes a unit of plaguebearers (15 or 20), a big unit of horrors, a herald of tzeentch, a herald of nurgle, and maybe some bloodletters or a beast of nurgle.

I took the warrior priest for the extra dispel and the hatred, not really for his prayer. But maybe I'd be better off with a captain and save the 40 points. But then what would I spend it on?

I am pretty low on magic defense, which makes me very nervous. I got tore up by magic in my last game. Would it be better to drop the helblaster for a wizard?

I took the crossbows instead of guns because daemons don't have armor, so I thought the extra range would be better. I prefer mortars over cannons, especially when there aren't any really big nasties to worry about (no GDs at 1k).

Marwynn
03-07-2008, 17:41
Yes, keep the Crossbows. They should be the main ranged units of the Empire unless you know for a fact you're facing heavily armoured opponents. The daemons aren't.

How attached are you to the HBVG? I'd swap it out for a Helstorm, yes even against the Daemons. That Horror block? Yeah, they'll be blue horrors in no time. I'd keep one Mortar and upgrade the other to a Great Cannon. Free the points by trimming the Crossbows to 10. Or maybe the FC and some Halberdiers.

When you say 1+ Armour Save how exactly are you getting at that? I'd settle for HA, Barded Steed, and a Shield. He's not gonna kill much even with a Great Weapon and with that set-up he gets a 2+ Save without magic items.

If you wanna swap for a Captain you could try one carrying the Casket. Steal those spells. The lack of Knights as screens is gonna be tough.

hippodude21
04-07-2008, 11:41
definatly take wizards that tzeench bugger is going to be annoying
the 1+ comes from
full plate armour (4+)
sheild
mount and barded
giv'm hell!!

Granitearm
16-07-2008, 14:23
Well, after several delays, the game is tonight. I've tweaked the list just slightly. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic!

Any last minute tactical suggestions?

Warrior Priest
Great Weapon
1+ Armor save
Item makes unit immune to fear

Captain
Great Weapon
Full Plate, Enchanted Shield
Casket of Sorcery

30 Halberdiers
Full Command

11 Crossbowmen

9 Free Company

25 Spearmen

11 Crossbowmen

Mortar

Mortar

Kalec
16-07-2008, 23:05
Warrior Priests can't get full plate, only heavy armor, so the only way he could have a 1+ save on foot is with the armor of meteoric iron.

Gabacho Mk.II
16-07-2008, 23:13
Your list looks fine.

Try a refused flank which might buy you more time in order to shoot at the Daemons, thus earning you additional kills before he closes the gap into H2H.

Otherwise, I like the list... though I always like to run cavalry, as an ace in the hole type of unit.

Pray that the dice gods are with you, since the Chaos gods will be with him! :D