PDA

View Full Version : Starting all over with 40K

My_Nose_Is_Big
02-07-2008, 21:31
Good evening Warseer,

about 1,5 year ago, i turned 16, and my attention was drawn away from warhammer, and I bought a moped.

I notice I'm a bit bored now, so I wanted to start over with warhammer.
I played Tau, which i quite liked, but i didn't like painting them. also space marines and a bit of imperial guard.

I want to make a complete new army, and it must be special! I dont really play anymore, but the looks and character of the army mean much to me.

does anyone have a suggestion which army to consider? If you recommend something, please explain why, to help me choose:)

My sincere apoligies for any grammar mistakes, I am Dutch, and doing my best:evilgrin:

Thanks in advance,

Raoul

Hicks
02-07-2008, 21:37
Well if you don't really intend to play much, I guess a good looking army with a relativly small amount of troops would be best. I would suggest Daemon Hunters, specifically Grey Knights. They have gorgeous miniatures and you can really go overboard converting the terminators and characters. Inquisitors and their retinue also thend to be really flashy models.

RazielZian
02-07-2008, 21:46
If its character and painting / conversion oppertunities you want... then (sorry to say) Orks is definately for you, anyhting you can dream of you can get away with for orks (gotta love 'count as' for a race of junkyard dogs)

Drogmir
02-07-2008, 21:51
well if you're really dropping the money down and buying in yearly increments may I suggest one of the Forgeworld armies?

Red Scorpions, Elysian Drop Troops, or Death Korps of Krieg.

Expensive as hell but if you ever bring them to a game and they're well painted you're sure to get questions about them.

My_Nose_Is_Big
02-07-2008, 21:56
thanks for your comments :)

although forge world armies are really nice, they are much to expensive, since I'm only 17 year old

Chaplain Ark
02-07-2008, 21:57
either Black Templars becuase thier conversion kit and sword bretheren look awsome, or Orks as RazielZian said. I mean on the vehicles you don't even have to remove excess plastic on the models. and the conversion possibilities are endless. im currently making flash gitz out or random burna boys, eldar vehicle weapons and a few SM parts mixed in.

Chem-Dog
02-07-2008, 22:04
I'll second Hick's suggestion on the Daemon Hunters.
Grey Knights, they look stunning when painted up nicely and that's no mistake.
Which Hunters, obviously, offer a similar opportunity, SoB's are some of the nicest GW miniatures available today, despite the fact they're nearly 10 years old.

I've got a slowly growing "hobby" army which is, essentially a whole bunch of models I really like put together for painting and converting purposes, no gameplay considerations whatsoever, this rag-tag bunch of miniatures are the personal staff and retainers of my Inquisitor, lots of Guardsmen and servitors and stuff. Perhaps you could try this approach if you're not going to play with the models, just pick up a blister or two of models you like and paint them however you want.

Drogmir's suggestion is a corker too, what about addoption one of the CSM Traitor Legions? Each of them is getting a Troops and Terminators set and already have a huge amount of vehicle addons to give you a very nice looking (but expensive) army to paint. Renegade Militia can easily stand in for IG if you want to go that way with it but you and your wallet will not be friends for a long while.

soul destroyer
02-07-2008, 23:46
I vote for orks. loads of character, tons of converstion oppertunites and(in my view) fun to paint.

Mr. Smuckles
03-07-2008, 00:04
Orkz is da best... but...

Nids are imho the most fun to paint.

Lord Cook
03-07-2008, 00:05
How about Tyranids? You could make a warrior themed force. Not only are the tyranid warrior models excellent, but they are highly customisable and easy to convert. You could buy the wings from Forgeworld, and paint them up in very natural colours, like speckly black and grey to look like moths. I've always wanted to make an army like this for Cityfight urban terrain, as it would look like really effective camouflage. Also, by not having many models (and all of them plastic) you keep costs down and can build an army with fewer models.

Endless conversion opportunities.

lequaye
03-07-2008, 00:09
I've got a slowly growing "hobby" army which is, essentially a whole bunch of models I really like put together for painting and converting purposes, no game play considerations whatsoever, this rag-tag bunch of miniatures are the personal staff and retainers of my Inquisitor, lots of Guardsmen and servitors and stuff.

I have a large imperial guard army that I started about 10 years ago and have been adding to ever since. In the last year or so however I have started adding Elements from the Adeptus Mechanicus to it just to mix things up. I have no plans on using any of it in battles, they are more for modeling/painting projects. The great thing about it is your imagination can run wild.

RazielZian
03-07-2008, 02:20
The problem with Grey knight armies is they are difficult to do on a budget since they are all lead, if they did plastics for them then I'd have a couple units to harass my DA army while 'helping'

hush88
03-07-2008, 04:09
Black Templar seems to have more character more than another army, if looks if what you are going for, or Eldar or Orks.

Drogmir
03-07-2008, 04:38
The problem with Grey knight armies is they are difficult to do on a budget since they are all lead, if they did plastics for them then I'd have a couple units to harass my DA army while 'helping'

Wait.... I thought that was only for old edition Grey Knights. The New Ones are made up "white metal" which was told to us by GW that it contained no lead.

AllisterCaine
03-07-2008, 04:55
The guard is always looking for recruits, and if you dont want forgeworld, why not one of the all metal armies like Steel Legion or the Vostroyans. IMO they are fun to paint, look cool, and if you go vehicle heavy, you might not even need a lot of troops. And if youre not competent enough, we can always shoot you. :)

Penitent Engine
03-07-2008, 04:59
If you're looking for a budget army that you can do lots of converting with (and if you are, my sympathies-I'm 16 and in the same boat), try playing Guard, and doing them up as Chaos forces. I'd suggest CSMs, but you said you didn't like Space Marines. Other than that, go the Inquisition-all types!

==Me==
03-07-2008, 06:05
Deathwing is the way forward.

Small model count, every model can (and should) be lovingly converted as the Hero of the Imperium they represent. The elite of the elite, the mailed fist of the Inner Circle, the 1st company of the 1st Space Marine Legion, the Deathwing.

The army can be collected in small increments, 1 squad at a time. It is very easy to convert with all plastic and the wonderful DA sprues found in the RW and Vet boxes (also can be bought seperately). The paint scheme is striking and has plenty of variation for individual models. You can include two of the best looking vehicles in the game: Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders. And with only a handful of models, you can store them very easily.

And, best of all, you'll eventually be drawn to collect other Dark Angels to complete the set :evilgrin:

vman
03-07-2008, 09:04
anything besides necrons

cos they just look crap imo

Doomseer
03-07-2008, 09:23
I'll second the Deathwing! Great for conversions and theming.

My_Nose_Is_Big
03-07-2008, 10:38
Thanks for your comments!

I've looked into deathwing , but u don't really like them..

I think I'm going Orks, I painted one up once, and I think its the best model I've ever painted. Yesterday I turned an old Rhino into a wartruck, and boy did I like building in Ork style!

so, probably orks then:chrome:

edit: OH MY GOD! only now I discover that there are loads of awesome new ork models:eek::eek:

now its defenitly orks:cool:

Remoah
03-07-2008, 11:02
Orks... anything you want you can do... including guard slaves even, i know a guy who did and had 'counts as' gretchin mobs of skinny, wasted guardsmen.

Anyhow, remember if you DO get bored, try something diffrent. Bought myself a box of tau today just for that reason... painting guard got a little boring so some tau were in order, just finished converting and spraying the lot of them.

==Me==
03-07-2008, 14:42
Orks are great too, have fun with 'em!