PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Question

Caiphas Cain
03-07-2008, 04:10
Why in the world do people play space marines?

Reasons not to-----

1. Every one does so for the sake of originality dont do it!!

2. EVERYONE (ok most people) paints them blue

3. NO tactics (unless you say stand and shoot is one)

4. CHEEEP!!!! UNKILLABLE!!!

Thats all i have to say thank you please answer, why do you play SM????

hush88
03-07-2008, 04:16
You seem to be already so bias against marines, is there really a need them to justify playing marines to you then?

Drogmir
03-07-2008, 04:33
OK

1. I did it because I knew it wasn't original, if I wanted originality (which i do) I sport a 2nd more vague army (which I do)

2. I only paint them Ultramarines because of the game Chaos Gate. If those were blood angels or Dark Angels I would have chosen them instead

3. Plenty of tactics, you just have to customize your army. You can stand and shoot or be fast and assault like, doesn't necessarily mean that you would do better, but you can try. That's like complaining about Guard and Ork being too horde like or Tau being too shooty

4. I've lost so many times to Necrons,Tau,Eldar, and Chaos it's not even fun to play Space Marines anymore. Now when I lose I try to do it in style with my DKoK army. Everyone is marked out against MEQ armies it's almost suicide to play them in tourneys unless you really know what you're doing and not limited by budget constraints.

Caiphas Cain
03-07-2008, 04:36
Thank you i am not completly close minded.
i just dislike the unoriginality soooo much.

Elliot
03-07-2008, 04:50
Well, new players play marines because they're easy and they are the first race most are exposed to. As much as we hate to admit it, many of us fall in love with them because we see them first, they look cool and are human, so we can relate to them (the human part ;)).

starlight
03-07-2008, 05:10
Uhm, erm, for the same reason I play any of the rest of my armies...because I feel like it...? :shrugs:

Thoth62
03-07-2008, 05:11

Reasons not to-----

Space Marines are the 3rd army for me in 40k.

1. No. Not everyone does. I would venture to say that almost 90% of the regular veterans at my local bunker play an army other than marines. Lots of guard, Tau, Tyranids, Eldar, a few chaos...

Originality is what you make of it. My Space Marines chapter has, as one of their traits, "Suffer not the alien to live". Preferred enemy: Eldar. Do I play against Eldar in anywhere near a majority of my games? No. But I'll be darned if I don't have fun playing with a nice balanced, fluffy, original army.

2. I take exception to this. And I don't know why that's a bad thing anyways. It's the colours that are shown on the box. How many tau armies are painted like it is on the box... How about necrons... or Imperial Guard... People who struggle with coming up with a scheme that suits them quite often turn to what's been presented to them. In other words, what's shown to them on the box. Boltgun Metal for necrons. Cadian colours for the guard, and yes, blue for the marines. Should people not play necrons because "EVERYONE (ok most people) paint them" boltgun metal?

3. I'm not even going to respond to this one (or maybe I will...). I've spent the last while in the tactics thread that's been going for spell, so I don't feel the need to actually dignify this with a response (or maybe I do...). Go read that other thread if your interested in discussing (lack of) tactics.

I'll tell you this though, my army consists of several fast assault elements, like bikes, and assault marines. How do you stand and shoot with them?

4. Cheeessese!!!111!!1!!eleventy!!1 Bearday cheaseee.!!11!!!11!

If you want unkillable, you should take those new plague marines for a spell. If you think marines are any more unkillable than any other MEq in the game, then I question how many games you've actually seen with Marines participating. Just like any other MEq in the game, they have a points cost that is appropriate for their toughness and skill set.

That's all I have to say, now come back and respond when you've actually put some thought into your post. It's embarrassing how many of these threads pop up all the time.

blackroyal
03-07-2008, 05:18
There is SOOOOO much background devoted to the exploits of Marines. That is a major reason to play them.

Sounds to me like you've seen one too many "gunline" marine army.

I play them because I sometimes get sick of Tyranids and Mordian Imperial Guard. The rules currently allow me to portray a 1st Company, a 10th Company, and a "counts as ravenwing" style fast attack army.

I do paint them blue because I like the look of Regal Blue with Chainmail and Golden Yellow accents.

Around here very few people bring "Loyalist" marine armies. Chaos, Orks, and Tyranids are guaranteed to show up to any tournament hosed by the FLGS. Currently there are 2 loyalist and a chaos force out of 14 players.

Marines are hardly "unkillable". Make them take large numbers of saves and 1/3 of the time they will die.

==Me==
03-07-2008, 05:37
I was this close to taking the bait, then I realized for stupid this thread is.

As you were.

Moriarty
03-07-2008, 07:30
Because they are the archetypal 40k army? Because I like the figures? Because I enjoy trying to hammer my 'flying bricks' together when they fall apart on regular basis?

Koryphaus
03-07-2008, 07:39

Reasons not to-----

1. Basically everyone has red or black dice as well. Do you flame those too? Everyone in my gaming group has Marines. But basically all of them (unless their new or on a tight budget) have at least 1, or 2 other armies as well. Eg, I have Marines, but I also have Chaos Marines and Imperial Guard. People in my group have been playing for years longer than me though, some of them would have 6-8 armies.

2. Mine are Yellow, being Imperial Fists.

3. My Fists are mechanised assault based. My Word Bearers are infantry assault.

4. I had to ROFLMAO at this one..

Basically, like most people, I play an army because I like the feels, the models, the ideas. If you don't like marines, and don't know why people play them, try looking at the army you play, and work out why you play it. I'm guessing it'll be similar to why people play Marines.

Critias
03-07-2008, 07:51
The OP is so into originality, he breaks the mold and comes up with his own ways to spell words!

rangeraero
03-07-2008, 07:53
While it's tempting to tear apart the grammar of the originating post, I feel I should leave the Grammar Nazi-ing to those who know it better than I.

What you listed aren't really reasons not to play Space Marines. It seems to me that these are reasons to not play Space Marines the way everyone else does.

If you want your army to be blue, you paint it blue. If you want to use a simple tactic like stand and shoot, you do that too. Does that make you a great player? Not really. It's a problem I've faced in my role-playing groups. I solved it by giving stunt bonuses; the better described the action, the bigger a bonus you got. Clearly, this same technique won't immediately apply to 40k. But you never know.

Also, this is, from what I've seen in response, just your opinion. I respect that you have one. But please, just because the folk you play with all have blue, unkillable Space Marines who stand in a line and shoot things doesn't mean that all players of Space Marines do the same.

Just thought I'd point that out, even if it makes me sound like a douche.

Lax
03-07-2008, 08:31
I think the main reason people often begins 40k with codex space marines is because of personnal identification to heroes.
Majorities of "fantasy" hobbies involves imagination, when you like a caracter in a movie, it's often because you identify to him, or just would like to be him for a moment.

Once you can project yourself into the shape of a magus genestealer, the SM stuff go away :)

Doomseer
03-07-2008, 09:11
The Space Marines are 40K!! Everything else revolves around them, they are iconic and the enduring symbol of Warhammer 40,000!

As for everyone painting them blue...

Lord Wasa
03-07-2008, 09:33

Reasons not to-----

Okay... I am soo tempted to play grammar-nazi with this idiotic and childish excuse for a post...But seeing as English isn't my native language, I will, like Rangeraero, leave it to those who have the ability to spot all the flaws in it.

As for your list (or rather; idiotic statements):
1. Idiot! In my city, I've so far seen perhaps 3 SM-armies (including my own). This whilst I've seen so many (different) chaos-armies that I can't even count 'em on my own fingers!
2. Idiot! Neither of the three SM-armies in my city are painted blue. On the other hand, there might have been a few blue-ish cords or eyes...
3. Idiot! There are so many tactics applyable to SM, that I don't even know 'em all! Fast and less cc, only cc, drop pod and the list goes on...
4. Dummkopf (how's that for originality?) I haven't won a single game with my Dark Angels! Also, in the tournament we last had in the store, SM got run over time and time again! It was a chaos guy who won BTW.

And as for why I chose to play SM/DA? It used to be because I liked their fluff, their Raven- and Deathwing options, them being a little harder than IG (which I also play) and they had their own codex. After this thread however, it is because I know that at least one little maggot out there gets annoyed by it!:evilgrin:

chromedog
03-07-2008, 09:38
I have been playing space marines since '87 or so. I've been doing it for longer than most of the players in my club have BEEN ALIVE. So, I'm one of the people who did it first. If you don't like it, I suggest you go complain to someone who cares.

Mine were never Ultramarine blue. They were Crimson Fists for many years. Then, when the 4th ed codex changed the points for them so that they were more expensive AND had fewer options, I switched to a DIY chapter.

Now, my SM are white. Mostly. Some have blue markings in addition, some have red. I've found a way to merge two of my hobbies into one. I'm a Star Wars fan, and a costumer (501st).
So my chapter is chapter#501, My army is the personal Company of Master of Sanctity, Lord-Chaplain Vater, and known colloquially as "Vater's Fist". This way I got to keep the iconography of the CFs (since I did have a bunch of metal 'fists' shoulderpads already) and not have to replace them as well.

My army neither stands and shoots or runs and hacks. They advance, sometimes into unrelenting fire. Sometimes they receive assistace from the 1st Company who teleport onto or near objectives. Sometimes the entire army deploys via pod (yes, I do have enough drop pods for an entire company. No, they're not FW - what? You think I'm made of money? Neither are they merely upended pint glasses or coke cans. They were fabricated from plans off the French GW site before GWUK made them take them down.).

tsutek
03-07-2008, 11:06
I too do remember being a space marine basher in my youth. I also remember growing out of it like 10 years ago.

It is very easy to elitisize yourself and think that marines are the spoilt children of 40k. However, there is nothing constructive about this kind of paradigms... Why don't you get down from your holy horse and get a SM battleforce instead!!! :cheese: I can borrow you some paints if blue is all you have..

Grindgodgrind
03-07-2008, 11:34
I love the Marines, I have done since I started playing in '94.

1 - Originality. I've been playing them for 14 years, and, I'll play what I damn well want to. Cheers.

2 - 'Blue' paint. Mine are White Panthers, which necessitates a black and white paint scheme. Indeed, the only blue marine I have is my Librarian.

3 - Tactics. That statement is so dumb it's not worth responding too.

4 - 'Cheese'. They are no 'cheesier' than any other army in the game.

jedipenguin
03-07-2008, 11:44
Somebody missed their afternoon nap and got grouchy, would you like a nice glass of warm milk?

RazielZian
03-07-2008, 12:22

Reasons not to-----

My first army was marines, but it was Dark Angels, I started playing when I was 6 and have since collected and played EVERY 40K army that has ever been released, I stopped playing a few years ago and got talked back into the game. I wanted to represent a new begining for me so I went back to my trusty DA army.

As above, the only blue model in my DA army is a single Lib

Correct me if im wrong but DA have the ravenwing and deathwing... neither you can afford to put into a gun line.
Then you have other chapters too, blood angels have the death company, raven wing prefere assult troops, white scars use fast moving mech, space wolves standard equipment is chainsword and bolt pistol, not very forgiving in a gun line...
You know I could go on all day...

If you want unkillable take a look at the cheese falcon.. nuff said

Basically I play SM because for the most part they are actually more difficult to cheese out than most other armies and from my perspective (and many many years experience) a great army for friendly games.

Now when it comes to tournies, you'll rarely see a SM army do as well as other cheese based forces.

Royal Tiger
03-07-2008, 12:29
1. Every one does so for the sake of originality don't do it!!
everyone?, really?, thats strange, because around here Eldar players outnumber Marine players 2 to 1

do they?, I think I'm the only person who actually does, others I know have painted them yellow, purple, red and green

stand and shoot?, you really have NO idea on how marines work do you?, and your probably just posting this to rub people the wrong way

4. CHEAP!!!! UN-KILLABLE!!!
cheap?, thats bull, un-killable? really?, so when lasguns are tearing my army to shreds thats merely my imagination playing tricks on me?.

get back under the bridge

Kahadras
03-07-2008, 12:32

Yes only play Marines if you want to and if you do want to just ignore the idiots who moan on about there being too many Marine armies around. The first great lie of the Marine army is the fact that everybody collects Marines.

Yes because in my entire time playing 40K I've run into precisly two blue Marine armies. The second great lie of the Marine army is that everybody play with Ultramarines.

Yes Marine have no tactics. We just sit there and shoot just like the Guard (who obviously are using tactics somehow) not withstanding the fact that Marine struggle to outshoot other static shooty armies due to their limited numbers. The third great lie of the Marine army, they require no tactics to win with.

Yep Marine are cheap as hell. Let's ignore the fact that everybody else loads up on anti MEq weapons like plasma guns (because that isn't cheap). Our 3+ armour save is absolutly the best against the hail of armour ignoring shots/cc attacks that are usualy going to be comming our way. The fourth great lie of the Marine army, somehow they are 'cheap' despite the metagame being set firmly against them.

:p

Kahadras

Linkdead
03-07-2008, 13:02
I wasn't even interested in playing Space Marines until I read the lore, the black library books, and the marine codex. I'm just waiting to see what happens with the new codex to start playing them, I've already got a bunch of marines I'm assembling and painting while I wait.

soul destroyer
03-07-2008, 14:16

Reasons not to-----

1. Not everyone plays marines. in my area their in the minority. We all have to start somewhere and marines are pushed hard on newbies by GW.

2. Never seen a blue army

3. They are what you make of them, its all down to how you play/build your army.

4. I really can't be bothered with this anymore.;)

lain2k3
03-07-2008, 14:47
Marines are pretty damned far from having a real 'cheese' army list. If that, and popularity are your beef, your culprits are Chaos and Tau, respectively.

Go yell at them.

Sidstyler
03-07-2008, 14:49
In before the lock.

I've lost so many times to Necrons,Tau,Eldar, and Chaos it's not even fun to play Space Marines anymore.

Well, just one of the downsides of being so popular, I guess. You can take comfort knowing that your chosen army will always be supported and constantly get new models, but since everyone plays against Space Marines then everyone's going to keep that in mind when designing a list, especially a competitive one.

Space Marines are cool though. The Salamanders kinda redeemed them for me, when I started looking up more about their chapter I wanted to do an army of them myself. It'll probably be a while before I expand beyond the 5 hamer-wielding termies, but still...

@Lain: Woah, what? lmao, Tau are a "cheesey" list? Tau are one of the more balanced lists in 40k, harder to WAAC than Chaos is, for sure...and I demand you provide proof that Tau are more popular than Marines, because I'm not buying it.

lain2k3
03-07-2008, 15:04
I said respectively. Chaos are cheesy, Tau are popular. They make up a huge percentage of sales revenues. There were 5 people out of 7 in my store yesterday that play Tau, myself included.

Sidstyler
03-07-2008, 15:27
So Tau are popular in your area, it isn't like that everywhere. I think Marines/Chaos are big in mine, and I've seen more Necrons than Tau.

Even so, it isn't necessarily a bad thing if any army sells well. Just means GW are making money.

lain2k3
03-07-2008, 15:41
I never said being popular was bad, the OP did.

Tau are the 2nd most popular army, worldwide.

Sir_Turalyon
03-07-2008, 15:54
1. Because I never did them before and already did all more interesting armies - not all of us limit themselves to just one army. Besides, making marines look original sounds like a challange.

2. It makes challenge of making your marines stand out even more rewarding.

3. Depends on your codex, army theme and composition.

4. Simply not true. My other armies never had trouble killing them.

Bloodknight
03-07-2008, 15:59
Tau are the 2nd most popular army, worldwide.

Care to elaborate where you got that number from? AFAIK it is SM, CSM, IG, Tau, the other..

lain2k3
03-07-2008, 16:06
Blah, I misread. CSM is 2nd in popularity, but in the past few years Tau have been outselling most everyone (although still not as popular overall, due to them being relatively new compared to SM, chaos, etc.)

ParadoX_83
03-07-2008, 16:09

Reasons not to-----

I play SM's because i want to and choose to. I paint them Blue because i happen to like the Ultramarines.

This thread is pointless.!!!

leo_neil316
03-07-2008, 16:15
Sooooooo......

The op, someone who chose to rip their user-name off of a fairly iconic these days black library character thats been around (as far as I know, could be longer) for the best part of a decade.

Is saying that marines aren't original enough?

Most people around here seem to have a marine army. They also mostly seem to have -another- army (IG for me, only just started the marines really). A fair few of those play one of the satellite codex's, DA being the most common I believe and just beating space wolves.

I can think of two 'stand and shoot' armies. And thats only if you decide to over-look Captain Senoris's thunder-hammer and storm-shield wielding squads. Suffice to say the rest is only standing and shooting to make sure you stand still where he can hit you.

Marines certainly aren't unbeatable. As a guard player I would like to say 1) lasguns and battlecannons kill everything eventually. And 2) They kill marines very very very well indeed. The closest I can think of to 'unbeatable' for guard would be either Tau or dark-eldar, two armies I have seen multiple users but only one incarnation of each. JSJ battlesuits and raider spam.

Hrw-Amen
03-07-2008, 18:41
I have resisted marines myself since the 80's when the game was first released on the grounds that this is what most people go for and to be honest the majority I have seen have been blue or red and not much else.

Having said that I have in only the last couple of months finally succombed having done most other things and given in to doing a loyalist marine army. I've painted them green, black and yellow. They are also an assualt based army with most things flying rather than tracked tanks. That is in part because I wanted them to be different and also because being big on tanks my IG armies have loads of them in all forms.

By the way I do have a blue chaos marine army painted as Ultrmarines. Just to add a slightly different slant to them.

Warp Zero
03-07-2008, 18:55
I think the main reason people often begins 40k with codex space marines is because of personnal identification to heroes.
Majorities of "fantasy" hobbies involves imagination, when you like a caracter in a movie, it's often because you identify to him, or just would like to be him for a moment.

Once you can project yourself into the shape of a magus genestealer, the SM stuff go away :)

Heh heh. Funny. Anyways, I know what you mean, but let me chime in say that I didn't pick my armies due to "identification". For me, its mostly about two things: fluff and looks.

Now, I'm one of those guys that always wants to pick the rare choice. Maybe I'm like the OP in the same way that I like playing something that's rarely seen. However, as time went on, and as I read more fluff, I grew to like all the armies. That includes Space Marines.

40k fluff is so cool, I can't help but like it all. So now, I take the attitude of, if you like it .... play it. I don't identify at all with Eldar, but I really like their fluff, and so I play them. I have a Marine army too. That's because I liked their fluff as well. When I first started, I was almost going to do Tyranid. There's no identifying with those guys. Its the same way with role-playing games. I try to role-play something I can't identify with. For the challenge and to explore it. I won't play some male human fighter....no, I'll play a lizardman monk instead. I'm weird that way.

Anyways, for me, I don't care if you play Ultramarines, I'm more of a paint snob anyways. If you show up with all unpainted minis, then I'll be an *******. :D

Caiphas Cain
03-07-2008, 19:02
Sorry I was out. Anyway, I have played SM but it got sooo boring because every one did, at my GW most battles were SM vs SM again and again.

Shinguuji
03-07-2008, 19:07
You're one of those people who must oppose anything in society that is popular because that is the ONLY way you can be a snob.(see the link in my sig)

I support ultramarines even though I don't have them. Ultramarines are the face of space marines, which is the face of games workshop, I doubt any chapter or race can hold that up as well as ultras.

yes, falcon cheese has a lot of tactics. My brain was straining to calculate the amount of falcons to use in that list. The answer is 3 by the way.

If you can't win, use falcon cheese to make them concede even before the game starts.

Caiphas Cain
03-07-2008, 19:09
No im not as i said i have played as them. the fluff is cool but because iv seen so many sm vs sm in my gw its become boring. if they were an unpopular list i could see myself bein em again.

Sir_Turalyon
03-07-2008, 19:31
if they were an unpopular list i could see myself bein em again.

So you don't have problem with marines, just with marines being too popular for you to like them? Obviously, most marine player don't have this problem; you just answered your question.

I sort of understand you, I tried to start marine army tree times only to get bored before I painted basic 1000 points, but in time I found niche interesting enough to start army and keep expanding it. It seems to me you just need a way to make your marines look and play original, maybe writing original fluff, converting or collecting unusual minis and perhaps an underdog list. You don't have to take six minimax squads hasetly painted in blue. Fluff and army bulids are just lying around: scout companies, battle companies without external support (just dreadnoughts, tactical, assault and devastator squads), SW / DA/ BA armies with variants like death/ravenwing, 13th company, pre-heresy armies using SM, CSM or 13th company rules, or even rarest of all balanced army (no elites/fast attack/heavy support unit taken more then once). There are five marks of power armour not sold as common plastic if you want to convert your army to look unique, and enough seregant / character models relased over 20 years that you can make army of them without using same model twice...

Earthbeard
03-07-2008, 19:47
I play marines/csm becuase they are so iconic to 40k, as much as d6 and the warhammer logo.

Besides they have more kits than any other army and the sheer conversion potential is amazing!

Why not like marines, I say people that dislike marines are the typical "strangers in a strange land" you find in most rpg's

For example Ok guys we are basing the new campaign around a small village that has fairly monastic influences.

PLayer a, c, d and e all go ok.

Player B says can I play a half demon warlock from the otherside of the world (for no reason than other, than not to fit in)

does that make sense?

Marines are deep and as evocative as any other race/army.

P.S i'd love to see more alien races and are a great champion of them and by no means a marine fanboi, but I like them regardless of thier "popularity"

Caiphas Cain
03-07-2008, 19:51
The "Warhammer logo" is in no way "Iconic".... OK so what. I guess my main problem is that in my gw the demo game is ultramarines vs Nids. So when people play they go "Huh because they painted them blue i guess i should too."
its just there are to many blue ones i guess.

Royal Tiger
03-07-2008, 20:18
its just there are to many blue ones IN MY AREA i guess.
That would seem more accurate in your case, its VERY VERY rare I see blue space marines

Lord Wasa
03-07-2008, 20:31
Wonderful, all you had to do to answer your own (idiotic) question was to use that thing called "brain" until it came up with a sensible explenation...All it took you was a day...Okay, maybe I'm a bit too much of a whiner here, but come on! If you didn't realise what a comlete **** and spoiled brat you sounded like in your first post, I suggest that you check your posts twice for any traces of bastardistique stuff. I did with this one and it turned out much more friendly than it was from the start!:p

Also, if people in your area think that they should to paint their armies blue because some other gamer did, you should move before they get their hands on GTA. I think we got our explanation as to where serial-killers come from!

Caiphas Cain
03-07-2008, 20:32
Indeed we do, indeed we do.....

szlachcic
03-07-2008, 21:25
That would seem more accurate in your case, its VERY VERY rare I see blue space marines

I agree, I don't think I have seen many blue marines (Ultra, Crimson Fists, or otherwise) in a long time. If anything it seems like new players tend to go with Ultramarines as that is what GW puts on a lot of their boxes, but most people go with other color schemes.

I also don't find SM lists to be boring or cheesy. A well made SM list can be a lot of fun to play and play against. If anything it is harder to play SMs these days as there is so much anti-MEQ.

EmperorEternalXIX
03-07-2008, 21:36

Reasons not to-----

Thats all i have to say thank you please answer, why do you play SM???? You win the stupidest post award.

Royal Tiger
03-07-2008, 21:37
You win the stupidest post award.
awwww I wanted that one:p

Kahadras
04-07-2008, 01:12
awwww I wanted that one

Just create a thread entitled Marines Sux!!!11!!!11!! and then write a huge wall of text detailing exactly how there's a huge conspiracy at GW to replace all armies with vanilla Marines (don't forget to complain about all of the cool stuff the Marine codex has in it compared to whatever codex you're using). You might also want to provide some tactical pointers as to how Space marines are generaly unbeatable (just write stuff like 'bolters are awesome', 'min/max tactical squads', or 'assault cannon spam'). Then just sit back and enjoy your reward.

Kahadras

Murphys Avatar
04-07-2008, 01:48
Oh dear, i read the first page and stopped seeing two more. Space marines can be beaten you know.....

vartemis
04-07-2008, 05:57
I have played the Ultramarines since second edition. My two main tactical squads are the two from the 2nd edition box set. If I remember correctly, the soldiers on the front of the starter box were Blood Angels, and the front of Dark Millenium were Dark Angels, and that is what everyone was playing at the time, not the blue dudes on the back of the starter.

I picked Ultras because after picking up the Ultramarines codex, I loved their backstory. They almost single handedly fought off a Tyranid invasion on their homeworld, and the veterans were pretty much all wiped out in the ensuing onslaught. I played em back when the land raiders tracks wrapped all around the hull, and predators had round domes on em. In fact, I still sport my predator annihilator with the red turret.

I didn't choose them because "everyone else was doing it". Back then, many more people thought Dante and Mephiston of the Blood Angels and Azrael and Ezekiel of the Dark Angels were a lot cooler than Marneus Calgar and Tigurius. I like the Ultramarines because out of all the chapters, they are the purest through the Astartes. They don't suffer from a gene-seed defect like the Blood Angels or Space Wolves, and they don't have some deep dark secret like the Dark Angels. Even among the space marine legions, they are considered to be *the greatest of them. They have produced the most offshoot chapters, and they were the ones who pretty much kept the Imperium together after the Horus Heresy. They are to fighting and organization what The Iron Fists and their succeeding chapters are to faith.

Check out their wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarines). There is a lot of info on them, and plenty of good reasons to play them besides "everyone else is doing it".

j

Starchild
04-07-2008, 06:36
I've rarely seen Space Marines painted blue. I guess it depends on where you live. I've also rarely seen Space Marines painted well. :(

I think there's a disconnect between what Space Marines are in the fluff, and what they become in the twisted hands of gamers. For some 40k players, Space Marines are just a 3D version of a Master Chief lost-in-space Halo party. :cries:

AngryAngel
04-07-2008, 06:50

Reasons not to-----

1. If you want original don't play 40k for every army is un-original, they've all been played before to one extent or another. Nothing new under the sun I'm afraid.

2. I actually only ever see 1 marine army painted blue, and not that many marine armys in general.

3. Marines have plenty of variety and variance in tactics, people however in general are unimaginative or stupid. That doesn't go with just marine players, plenty of dim people in other armys, as well as the world.

4. They are just as killable as any other faction in the game. I've lost plenty of games against every other army under the sun. If you couldn't beat them perhaps its the players skill, or the players luck, or both.

tangomegadeath
04-07-2008, 09:15
1 Make them what you want to make the - design your own chapter?

2 Blue isn't my favorite so I painted mine red and gold - do what you want

3 What a stupid and childish thing to say.

4 When was the last time we had a load of 'cheese' posts about marines?

Put simply, get a grip of yourself.

MEGAdeath.

Royal Tiger
04-07-2008, 11:26
I've also rarely seen Space Marines painted well. :(
unfortunately very very true in allot of places

marv335
04-07-2008, 12:58
Why play marines?
Because I damn well feel like it.
The sheer flexibility of the list makes it fun.
You can make a force to fit almost any theme using C:SM.
Most of the "noob" players round here seem to be using 'nids or Orks at the moment anyway

Brother-Captain Antilles
04-07-2008, 14:17

Reasons not to-----

I was sorely tempted not to post given that it *all appears to have been said, but hey what the hell.

I'd be interested to see the scope of the survey the OP undertook in order to make the rather sweeping generalisations in their post. I'm imagining zero. Given that the OP's profile indicates their 40K army is Guard, maybe they might like to expand on their own tactics - stand and shoot perhaps? And that is not to say that this is the only tactic open to Guard either, but between the two forces, Guard seem to me far better equipped to fight from a gunline.

I've been into this hobby since Rogue Trader. Many newcomers appear to choose Marines given that they are a prominent force and feature in the starter box, but the attraction for many goes far beyond that. I find the 40K fluff and background very interesting, and Marines are no exception. I love the background and the models, both metal and plastic. I love the versatility the codex and models present. Who says you have to play Ultramarines or paint your Marines blue? And if you do, why shouldnt you? This hobby *belongs to us all, so who are you to tell me how I should and shouldnt participate?

My Marines (own chapter) are red, they employ combined-arms tactics, and there's certainly enough anti-MEQ weaponry out there to make them killable. What they are is flexible, and they can hang in a firefight or close combat. By definition they are jack of all trades, because the fluff and the codex requires them to be. There are other armies better at CC, others better at gunline, and others who are faster. But none of those can offer the flexibility that Marines can.

And what's not to love - genetically engineered super-warrior-monks - they're just cool!

the_crazy_russian
05-07-2008, 02:00
guys, can't you see that this is just baiting us? the OP is a troll, he has responded 2, maybe 3 times to keep all of you going. don't waste your time.

Quakerman77
05-07-2008, 04:34
Most newcomers to Space Marine armies think that there is no strategy involved. However, unless you want to see your lovely 15 pt models get mowed down turn after turn, you have to either choose a gaming theme or specific play style (hopefully) unique to your army. "Stand N' Shoot" is not the way to win a game. Also, as any SM player knows, marines die much more easily than you would think :rolleyes: