PDA

View Full Version : Army Customizations

Devil-Tears
03-07-2008, 06:03
Well, here's the deal:

My friends and I are planning to do a campaign that had a lot of fluff integrated into it ie Tyranids assaulting a SM cruiser, with the SM having less points but ship weapons that needs to be activated. This kinda thing started to get me thinking. What if we were to customize our armies with some type of special rules: ie I play Eldar devoted to Vaul, so they have slightly better armor. So I HAVE to pay 1-2 more points to have 4+ saves on Eldar Guardians.

Mind you, this isn't to take advantage of the rules in order to make cheesy armies. On the contrary, this probably makes some armies weaker in some ways, as 10pt Guardians with +1 to armor save doesn't really help. But from an entirely fluff based perspective, would this thing be acceptable? Would you play with/against an army that followed such rules?

Torga_DW
03-07-2008, 06:59
Like everything else in life, all it takes is consenting adults. [P&R comments Deleted by the Inquisition] If the players think this is a cool idea, by all means go for it.

starlight
03-07-2008, 07:05
That sort of interesting narrative is what Warhammer is all about. :D Using your toys to tell cool stories and have fun with friends. :D

Condottiere
03-07-2008, 07:12
Yes - the trick is bringing a balance so that your themed army is neither too weak nor too strong. One way is to change sides.

Devil-Tears
04-07-2008, 15:34
Thx for the replies guys, very much appreciated. Well, since we pretty much established the fact that most of us would play fluff customs, what type of custom rules would you guys make, for any army (also explain the fluff and how it would fit)?

Just for brainstorming :)

PondaNagura
04-07-2008, 16:40
back in 3rd i ran a marine army that came form a high-grav world...so in small games my and my friends had, i'd pay like 4pts per model for +1d3" which i'd roll at the start of the game.

having things like objectives that carry over into the next game are cool too, like warp devices that enable deepstrike, or re-activated robots (count as an obliterator).

starlight
04-07-2008, 16:48
Effects that carry over are by far the best part about campaigns. :) Suddenly there is a *reason* for what you're doing. :)

Another is to start with a fixed list and when something dies/etc, that's it, it's off the list for the rest of the campaign. People rapidly change their attitudes towards disposable units when they don't miraculously come back for the next game. Allowing a *save* (possibly enhanced by medics) helps keep players in the campaign, as do reinforcements at certain points (like rolling for reserves).

Half-breed
04-07-2008, 17:16
Well, since we pretty much established the fact that most of us would play fluff customs, what type of custom rules would you guys make, for any army (also explain the fluff and how it would fit)?

Deathwing Terminators can take either Tank Hunters or Furious Charge universal special rule for +3 points.

If Vanilla have this then why the greatest marine Terminators in the galaxy haven't learned any skills?

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
04-07-2008, 18:44
Deathwing Terminators can take either Tank Hunters or Furious Charge universal special rule for +3 points.

If Vanilla have this then why the greatest marine Terminators in the galaxy haven't learned any skills?

geez, why you beat dead dog.

veteran skills are gone, and i'm plesed with it.

TheLionReturns
04-07-2008, 19:50
I'm all for these kind of tweaks. Obviously its important to find opponents that will agree to try this out, but it really adds to the hobby IMO. It does create a bit more work, however, as balance is important for a good gaming experience in most cases. It can take time to playtest such changes in order to get it right, but I find it is generally worth it in that it keeps the games fresh and varied.