PDA

View Full Version : What does an Elysian Drop Operation look like?

Darkwand
22-04-2005, 20:31
I was wondering the Elysians have their grav shutes for deceleration before they land but the guardsmen don't have either a heat shield or a space suit. So I wonder do they drop directly from space isn some form of self disintegrating drop pod that eject them in the upper atmosphere. Or do they drop from spaceships that just enter the upper atmosphere?

Whatever the case they must look pretty cool landing.

Morgan Keyes
22-04-2005, 20:52
I was wondering the Elysians have their grav shutes for deceleration before they land but the guardsmen don't have either a heat shield or a space suit. So I wonder do they drop directly from space isn some form of self disintegrating drop pod that eject them in the upper atmosphere. Or do they drop from spaceships that just enter the upper atmosphere?

Whatever the case they must look pretty cool landing.

The general consensus is that they drop from craft ranging in size from Valkyrie to large dropships in atmosphere. Though they seem to drop from far higher then current paradrops today (500' to 1250'/167-417m).

One unofficial site (http://www.netepic.org/cgi-bin/gdCount/jumpurl.php?id=http://the_fifth_horseman.w.interia.pl/Elysian_Drop_Troops.zip) (caution, direct link to a ZIP file) has the Elysians (and other drop regiments) with a 'Strato-fortress' Dropship with enough space to carry and drop a full infantry company plus attachments.

But yeah, speaking from experience an airdrop is damn impressive to see. Here's a sample. (http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_20054120.asp)

Mother_Mercy
22-04-2005, 22:48
The easiest would of course be to have them drop from inside the atmosphere, since it means you won't need space suits and heat reflectors. Of course, this does not mean that the drop troops can't "drop from orbit" as it were. You just need fast carrier ships (assuming that the Imperium does not have air supremacy, otherwise you could just drop them from aircraft) to dive into the atmosphere, drop of the troops, and then go back into orbit.

worldshatterer
22-04-2005, 23:29
In gaunts ghosts the troops were dropped from high altitude, and used gravchutes to land sucessfully on an enemy hive city . Most of the fluff on the Elysians would point to them being deployed in mass waves of valkyrie transports, in a very apocalypse now style gunship armada assault . If the landing zone was considered too hot to come in on a transport, then the solution would be a grav chute drop, which is what happens on the average 40k battlefield .

Morgan Keyes
23-04-2005, 03:10
In gaunts ghosts the troops were dropped from high altitude, and used gravchutes to land sucessfully on an enemy hive city . Most of the fluff on the Elysians would point to them being deployed in mass waves of valkyrie transports, in a very apocalypse now style gunship armada assault . If the landing zone was considered too hot to come in on a transport, then the solution would be a grav chute drop, which is what happens on the average 40k battlefield .

Speaking as a paratrooper by trade, you use the air assault/air land option when the drop zone is contested, if the option is available. Valkyries and Vultures come in with weapons to suppress the opposition and the squads can land as integral units as opposed to being scattered and vulnerable as they land under gravchutes. You use airdrop when you want to catch the opposition surprised and vulnerable, otherwise you are just so many clay pigeons to be shot out of the air. Ask those members still left from the Polish paratroopers on their landings around Arnhem during Market Garden if there are doubts.

If you have to airdrop on an aware and contested drop zone, then you precede it with airstrikes. Again, if possible. (This is why the US Army's 18th Corps (Airborne) has a close coordination with the 23rd Air Wing, "The Flying Tigers", and effectively their own private Air Force which gives the 18th Corps it's own tactical strike from F-16's and close air support from the A-10's) As for Gaunt's Ghosts, they came in low and dropped on very small DZ's to minimize exposure of themselves and their transports. Standard US practice for combat drops in wartime is 500'/167m where you don't even get a reserve chute. By the time you realize there is a problem and you deploy the reserve,...it's already too late so you dispense with the extra weight and bulk.

worldshatterer
23-04-2005, 09:58
bows down to superior knowledge of morgan keyes.

Brother Munro
23-04-2005, 10:39
Elysians almost certainly deploy from in atmosphere 'planes' or valkeries with vulture gunship support in enough force to obliterate the enemy forces in the DZ. Deployment from space would require Imperial Navy help, which the Elysians won't always have (or want). Most paradrops from space are left to Space Marines, who have the kit and knowledge on how to use the tactic effectively.

milmot
25-04-2005, 04:36
I agree, i doubt the Elysian's would have the resources to deploy from space.

Fluff has always stated they deploy from valkeries - like stormtroopers. However, I believe if they would have to deploy en masse, the would jump out of modified Maurader bombers. You'll be able to fit several squads in a Maurader, instead of a single squad in a Valkerie.

Morgan Keyes
25-04-2005, 05:09
I agree, i doubt the Elysian's would have the resources to deploy from space.

Fluff has always stated they deploy from valkeries - like stormtroopers. However, I believe if they would have to deploy en masse, the would jump out of modified Maurader bombers. You'll be able to fit several squads in a Maurader, instead of a single squad in a Valkerie.

There has been some (http://www.netepic.org/cgi-bin/gdCount/jumpurl.php?id=http://the_fifth_horseman.w.interia.pl/Elysian_Drop_Troops.zip)(warning! ZIP file!) that have conjuctured about a company-sized dropship/transport to drop troops. This would be more in keeping with airborne doctrine and contempory assets. Actually, the conjectural Stratofortress can drop or airland a company plus attachments. Such drops may be better represented on the Epic-scale.

EDIT: Hyperlink fixed.

milmot
26-04-2005, 08:57
it might be just me, but i cant get that link working...

Flame Boy
26-04-2005, 20:28
I really hope Forge World can do something special for the Drop troops... I guess they could make an approximately Thunderhawk-sized craft with a pod carrying several squads of Drop troops and maybe two Elysian-Pattern Sentinels? It would help the background, and would make an interesting model. This aspect of the Imperial Guard is sorely lacking and it might be really useful.

Morgan Keyes
28-04-2005, 04:55
I really hope Forge World can do something special for the Drop troops... I guess they could make an approximately Thunderhawk-sized craft with a pod carrying several squads of Drop troops and maybe two Elysian-Pattern Sentinels? It would help the background, and would make an interesting model. This aspect of the Imperial Guard is sorely lacking and it might be really useful.

Sadly it'd likely cost an arm and a leg,...the blood of your first born, your immortal soul,...well we're talking nosebleed.

Really though, drop transports on this scale would probably find a better place on Epic-scale. That seems to serve the "big boys" much better. Things like Baneblades and the like do much better there then on the WH40K battlefield. On the Epic-level you can then do your mass drops, and it's also where you'll likely get the most effect with an air assault unit of Guard (ie., mounted in Valkyrie as squad carriers as opposed to jumping in).

There was a fan created Epic army list for the Elysian drop regiments and the one super-heavy/praetorian was the Stratofortress drop shuttle, which I think I mentioned earlier (some weapons; carrying a full drop infantry company + attachments).