PDA

View Full Version : 1000 pt. tourney orcs and gobbos

Xarius
04-07-2008, 13:27
I am needing a 1k pts. orcs and gobbos army for a campaign in my local store. it is the bardiest staff member running it so it will be more like a tournament, he loves GT. I need a 1k army with a fairly good hero with a pretty low points cost, a lot of the camaign is basd around your hero so he needs to be pretty good. I've got two sample lists but want your opinions first.

Black Orc Big Boss w/ heavy armour, ironback boar and shield 126pts.

Orc Big Boss w/ light armour and shield 76pts.

Night Goblin Shaman w/ 2 magic mushrooms 70pts.

20 Orc Boys w/ shields and full command 150pts.

20 Orc Boys w/ shields and full command 150pts.

10 spider riders w/ short bows, banner 130pts.

15 Black Orcs w/ shields, musician and banner 228pts.

Stone Troll 60pts.

1002pts.

Black Orc Big Boss w/ heavy armour, ironback boar, Ulag’s Akrit axe
and Enchanted (?) shield 164pts.

15 Arrer Boys w/ banner 105pts.

20 Night Goblins w/ full command, shields, fanatic 105pts.

25 Orc Boys w/ shields and full command 180pts.

2x5 spider riders w/ short bows 140pts.

1004pts.

Gobbo Lord
04-07-2008, 16:08
For a start both lists are over 1000 points and being as though you have equiped you characters with shields there is something you can get rid of to make it 1000 or under.

Other than that some glaring things i notice for a "Tournament" setting

10 spider riders w/ short bows, banner 130pts.

As they are fast cavalry taking 10 in two ranks will not get you a rank bonus, also if the enemy defeats them in combat they get an extra 100 points for the banner. Perhaps two units of 5 with musicians (for rallying) would be better.

Stone Troll 60pts.

If using a single troll id go with an un-upgraded one. The stone and river varients are best used in units of at least 3 to a max of 5.

15 Arrer Boys w/ banner 105pts.

What is this unit for? again the banner is an extra lot of points for the enemy if they break you, and with 15 models you arnt going to be winning any combats through static res. Arrer boyz should be treated like any other armies bowmen, units of 10 with a musician used as support or flank protecters.

Id say you first list is better for a competative tournament, i hate playing those anyway because it make responses to your list such as the ones ive given above which emphasise certain unit builds to win the game. But being as though your entering a competition.

Xarius
04-07-2008, 19:07
bearing in mind that we are allowed to go a bit over/under hows this.

Black Orc Big Boss w/ heavy armour, ironback boar, Ulag’s Akrit axe
and enchanted shield 164pts.

10 Arrer Boys w/ musician 65pts.

25 Night Goblins w/ full command, shields, spears fanatic 125pts.

25 Orc Boys w/ shields and full command 180pts.

2x5 spider riders w/ short bows 140pts.

1004pts.

Gobbo Lord
04-07-2008, 23:28
Thats great for a 100 point army. Put the black orc general on the boar in with the orc boyz to quell the animosity. You can charge him out of the unit if you want to aswell.

Make the 15 black orcs 6 wide with two ranks and 3 extra models in the third. You want as many models in combat as possible with them, use wither the night goblins or orcs to provide a static combat res whilst the black orcs get the kills.

Always move the arrer boyz with another of your big block units, treat them as a support unit and the bows as a pleasant extra. Dont try to win archery contests with them, you will be disappointed. They are good at guarding your flanks though at toughness 4 strength 4 (in the first round) they pack a punch and can take a charge from most fast cavalry. Plus they can charge units your big mobz are in combat with in the flanks to remove your enemies rank bonus. People often ignore orc arrer boyz, thinking they are rubbish at shooting, forgetting that they are good in combat in a supporting role.

Good luck

Conotor
05-07-2008, 02:14
U can't go a bit over. 1000 means 1000 is the maximum.

Drop the Black orcs for 25 Boyz, Traid the spears 4 nets, and take lvl 2 on the shaman.

Xarius
05-07-2008, 19:40
trust me we are allowed to go a bit under/over. it really doesn't affect it that greatly. All the gamers know each other and the staff quite well so we are quite easy come easy go.;)