PDA

View Full Version : What's worse?

Frodo34x
27-10-2005, 21:28
At my club this evening I was telling people my plans for an armoured company. One guy was saying that "Because it isn't in the codex, it's overpowered". This really pissed me off, as O feel he was acting a bit of a 'comp onion'.

What do you guys think?

Sildani
27-10-2005, 21:35
Ah, another wonderfully droll bit of vernacular from across the Pond. :)

What's a "comp onion?"

cailus
27-10-2005, 21:39
I'm cool with it if semi-official rules exist for it (e.g. the Armoured Company or VDR). These rules are meant to be fun even if they are a bit unbalanced. I actually enjoyed playing against Armoured Companies in the past as it reminds me of that German movie about Stalingrad.

But if you say, put down a LEGO Darth Vader and said that that was the Emperor and that he had WS10,BS10, S10, T10... you get the picture, well then I'd be forced to shove that offending lame-**** crossover model up your rectum.

Grimtuff
27-10-2005, 22:37
Ah, another wonderfully droll bit of vernacular from across the Pond. :)

What's a "comp onion?"

Meaning - A Comp Onion is someone who completely disregards the rules of the game, in regards to what is and is not legal, and replaces them with a set of rules they quite simply 'made up', usually whilst in the company of friends, who tend to also be Comp Onions. Once these 'rules' have been made up by the Onion, he then immediatly forgets that the old rules ever exsisted, and expects everyone else to follow his new Onion friendly rules set. People who refuse to follow the Onion, are normally called 'Cheesy' or some other word, which can be roughly transerlated to 'Person who will not do what I tell him'.

Thats what a Comp Onion is apparently

marv335
27-10-2005, 23:10
i have no problem with an armoured company
someone fielded one in a recent shop tournament, and got soundly thrashed by almost every opponent.
in his second game an eldar player massacred him by turn 2 (1500pts btw)
it took me until turn 3 to massacre him.
and no-one knew he was bringing an AC. these were balanced all comers lists.
the eldar player has one brightlance in his army for example.
they are not all powerful. granted certain armies have trouble (kroot mercs, i'm looking at you.......) but most balanced lists can handle them without trouble.

Son of Morkai
28-10-2005, 02:07
Threaten him with the Kroot Merc list. :p It's not in a codex, and if he truly thinks it is overpowered...

Alco Engineer
28-10-2005, 02:34
It just depends on what it is. A lot of people think Harlequins are over powered but they're so fragile. I think so long as you have warning that it's not a codex army (and assuming they didn't just make it up) then I have no probs so long as they'll go through any new rules I wouldn't have seen before. I think it depends on the player. There are some players out there who'll take a non-codex army because they feel its the most powerful but they're just tools and I don't like to play against tools.

Biel496
28-10-2005, 03:18
the power gamer is no tool! he just playing the game how he/she wants! :)

Ouroboros
28-10-2005, 03:56
It really gets me how some people out there feel that in order to play the game they have to act like every game is a tournament game.

"Oh that isn't tourney legal!!"

This isn't a tourny, notice the basement.

shutupSHUTUP!!!
28-10-2005, 04:01
The one time I played against an armoured company those melta bombs on every blood angels sergeant became very cost effective for once!

neXus6
28-10-2005, 04:17
:p
I'm Scottish and I had no idea what 'comp onion' meant.

People who complain about People who use a hardback book they have spent £40 on are just looking to be hit over the head with the aformentioned book. It's just not needed. :)

lord_blackfang
28-10-2005, 06:35
I'd love to face an Armoured Company. Not because it would be easy for me to beat (it wouldn't) but because I like facing new armies.

Gaebriel
28-10-2005, 09:00
Hmm, in our group we treat everything that's written down as viable option for army-building. Including everything Forge World, and of course any additional list, unit, whatever, regardless if it has Chapter Approved or experimental stamped onto it.

And Armoured Company is just another list, with normal strengths and weaknesses.

And no Codex is overpowered - never... :p Did this guy ever have a look into Chaos Space Marines?

If I wanted to cheese I wouldn't need an additional list, I could do i t with every Codex around...

Kahadras
28-10-2005, 09:09
Sometimes I am alright with it sometimes I am not. When your opponant turns up with a Thunderbolt and a Marauder with no prior warning then I get a bit annoyed. I see most of the Forgeworld stuff as an interesting challenge/fun game so am quite happy to go along with most of it.

Kahadras

Colonial Rifle
28-10-2005, 09:57
An Armoured Company is an established list in the game. While I would like some prior warning in a standard game, I would be fine going up against it.

However, if somebody brought Codex: Stealth Marines.....

sigur
28-10-2005, 10:54
While I like seeing new units, I think that you should inform the other player(s) if you're planning to use flyers and you should work out a way to handle this together. The other guy will be quite lost without and AA-tanks or AA mounts.

BUt I wouldn't care playing an AC list.

Wiseman
28-10-2005, 13:05
id love to verse an AC just for the challenge it would present, and for the change

Shield of Freedom
28-10-2005, 15:03
I agree with the forgeworld statements. The only vehicles in the forgeworld book that should require prior warning to your opponent are flyers, super-heavies, and titans. Otherwise all the other vehicles and variants in the books are balanced and fun to see on the table. Even if you're fighting them instead of using them.