PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point Dwarf Engineers Guild

MrPickles
04-07-2008, 19:49
Alright, I tried to mix up the dwarf gunline a little bit by taking miners and a regular anvil. Tell me what you think! Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions on a good way to model entrenchments or any conversion ideas to give this army an engineer's guild touch, I'm listening.

Lords
Runelord---323 Points
Rune of Stone
Shield
Anvil of Doom

Heroes
Master Engineer---74 Points
Great Weapon

Master Engineer---74 Points
Great Weapon

Core
Thunderers---150 Points
10x Thunderers
Shields

Thunderers---150 Points
10x Thunderers
Shields

Dwarf Warriors---199 Points
21x Warriors
Shields
Standard Bearer

Longbeards---240 Points
15x Longbeards
Shields
Standard Bearer w/ Master Rune of Grungi

Special
Miners---180 Points
15x Miners
Musician
Standard Bearer

Cannon---130 Points
Rune of Forging
Rune of Burning

Bolt Thrower---90 Points
Rune of Burning
Rune of Penetration
Engineer

Grudge Thrower---130 Points
Rune of Penetration
Rune of Accuracy

Rare
Organ Gun---120 Points

Gyrocopter---140 Points

MrPickles
06-07-2008, 17:33
Hmm? Anyone? Good list? Bad list? Too many master engineers?

MrPickles
08-07-2008, 13:12
Please, anyone? Critiques?

Solon
08-07-2008, 16:15
I'm new to WFB so for awhile I wasn't sure what constitutes a "gunline". I get it now.

I'm a noob so bear that in mind.

Two Gyrocopters and a Flame Cannon would reinforce the Engineering Guild theme.

Trade in a master engineer and whatever you can spare for a proper Battle Standard-Bearer. Then you can convert that model with lots of gears or mechanical steam-spitting cuckoo-birds and clocks.

As far as fortifications go I'd focus on significantly damaged stone walls or towers. I read the Sigmar novel and the Dwarves had a half-ruined tower guarding Black-Fire Pass. Maybe the tower can have a pulley-system to get troops to the top? Also you can add caltrops as terrain and dwarven statues that have defensive properties, such as bolts shooting out at certain angles, etc.

Thats enough ******* from me, I like your Army theme, stick with it. :)

MrPickles
08-07-2008, 17:23
Too bad only 2 rare slots are allowed at 2000 points, or I would love to put in a flame cannon or another gyrocopter. Is a battle standard bearer necessary? I don't plan on being in combat with my thunderers, and they already have a very high leadership of 9.

Thanks for the suggestions with the fortificiations. I might do something like that with a tower.

Nor
09-07-2008, 03:42
From past experience I will offer the opinion that BSB's in Dwarf armies are not as vital as in other low-leadership armies. I also have had some very bad luck when sticking Master Engineers in units. I strongly suggest sticking them with the three Special warmachines. Be sure to keep that Anvil out of harm's way (enemy miners/beastmen will ruin your day).

Otherwise: I like it.

AFoolProofPlan
09-07-2008, 04:06
Oy, I haven't played for a while. But here goes.

Lords
Runelord---323 Points
Runic Armor
Shield
Anvil of Doom

Heroes
Master Engineer---84 Points
Great Weapon
Brace of Pistols

Great Weapon
Brace of Pistols

Great Weapon
Brace of Pistols

I'm assuming all 3 of your ME will be sitting with a warmachine?
You probably won't ever use the pistol since you want to be using ME's special ability. Also RoStone never hurts :)

Core
Thunderers---150 Points
10x Thunderers
Shields

Thunderers---150 Points
10x Thunderers
Shields

Thunderers---150 Points
10x Thunderers
Shields
Don't see any problem here. A unit of Quarrellers could be a nice alternative too. And cheaper to boot

Special
Miners---215 Points
15x Miners
Musician
Standard Bearer
Prospector w/ Steam Drill

Miners---215 Points
15x Miners
Musician
Standard Bearer
Prospector w/ Steam Drill
Are these guys combat blocks or Warmachine hunters?
You won't need more than 8 to hunt warmachines, and if you want a solid combat blocks, there are far better choices. Of course if you absolutely want the underground advance, then by all means. Keep them

Cannon---120 Points
Engineer
Rune of Burning
Rune of Reloading
You only need RoForging the Cannon. You can re-roll misfires with it, so you'll hardly ever have to deal with the cannon blowing up.

Bolt Thrower---85 Points
Rune of Burning
Rune of Penetration
Rune of Reloading
Just take RoPenetration. With ME you're hitting on 2s at S7. And with 4 crewmember, you need to lose 3 guys before your rate of fire is affected.

Bolt Thrower---80 Points
Rune of Penetration
Rune of Reloading

Rare
Organ Gun---120 Points

Gyrocopter---140 Points

Couple things you could consider.
Longbeards would be nice addition to the list. They'll quell panic among your shooters, and be immune to panic themselves. They'll be great at holding the line down during a fire fight. Especially with MroGrungni.

I'd say BSB is quite useless, since you want to avoid combat as long as possible. So you're losing a nice little bonus for atleast 2 or 3 turns
If you want to.

How were you planning on deploying your Thunderers? I'd imagine it's hard to have all 30 of them lined up to shoot.

You could also drop 1 ME to save some points. BTs can easily go with a regular Engineer. Sure, it hits on 3s instead of 2, but it might save you enough points to squeeze in something else.

I hope that helped somewhat

maze ironheart
09-07-2008, 09:50
I think I know what tattic your planning on using as I have done it too your planning on using the anvil and the miners together as when they turn up they are allowed to make a move (not a charge) to postioning them for flanking enemy units on turn 1.With 2 units with steam drills you got a higher chance of at least one of them turning up and once they do your planning one using the anvils runes to get them to charge into the flank.I would aggree about dropping the 2 ME from the bolt throwers for reguler engineers as the bolt throwers would become exspencive and to drop one of the thunderers for a quarraliers as the shoot 30 inch's.Keep rune of burning they come way in handy as I once toke down a very exspencive grey seer out with my bolt thrower he failed look out sir roll and I got 3 wounds on him and he could not regenarate.

MrPickles
09-07-2008, 15:33
@AFoolProofPlan: The master engines are going with the 3 special war machines. I like the brace of pistols because they give me a little bit of fire power against potential chargers. I plan on using the miners as combat blocks that will be able to get a rear/flank attack with help from the anvil the turn they come in. I updated the list using some of your recommendations concerning the war machines.

AFoolProofPlan
11-07-2008, 01:49
I would recommend against the Miner CC blocks. Miners can get a charge off as soon as turn two.
But majority of the enemies that are worth getting charge against will be more than 6 inches away from the edge. Especially if you're opponent sees you have Miners AND Anvil.

Against missile troops that sit back. They won't be able to stand up against most basic troops anyways. So 215 pts worth of Miners might be an overkill for that.

Also, any mages worth killing will probably have a mount or something similar to ignore the 6 inch charge range.

However if you do manage to get close enough with the Miners, it'll be a great way to march block, and buy little more time for your gunline.

MrPickles
16-07-2008, 00:16
Alright, after thinking it over I decided to get rid of a unit of miners. Tell me what you think now.

AFoolProofPlan
16-07-2008, 07:43
What are you replacing them with?

Stinkfoot
16-07-2008, 11:45
I don't like it when people take insanely cheesy armies and then justify them by claiming whatever "theme" fits their list. This list is a highly effective gunline and it will blow most any opponent off the table. It requires no tactics or skill besides guessing range; you set up your army and the opponent takes his off the table over a couple of turns.

You won't lose many games with this army, though I should imagine you won't get to play many either.

MrPickles
16-07-2008, 16:22
I replaced a miner unit and a master engineer with a grudge thrower and a unit of 15 HW/shield warriors.

AFoolProofPlan
17-07-2008, 05:51
Personally, I'd try to make the Warrior blocks little bigger. Around 20ish.
Around 1.5k, I'll take a unit of 15 warriors. But at 2k, there's just too many things that can chew up a 15 strong unit.

You can also save a quite a bit of point if you swap out one unit of Thunderers for Quarrellers. I know they're not quite as accurate. But 30 inch range is nice.

NiteFall
18-07-2008, 15:41
Warrior block b/w 20-25 is good. get those ranks going and ur gonna last even for the most basic warrioe block

fishound7
18-07-2008, 15:55
Hey so please tell me if i'm wrong but arn't you not aloud to use 2 runes of penetration on different warmachines? Doesn't this break the Rule of pride?? I'm a new dwarf player so...

MrPickles
18-07-2008, 19:09
@fishound7: You just can't have 2 war machines with the exact same runes i.e. you can't have this:

Bolt Thrower
Rune of Penetration

Bolt Thrower
Rune of Penetration

Lord Dan
18-07-2008, 19:52
I'm going to have to go with Stinkfoot on this one. The army looks quite efficient, however it also looks like every other "Engineers Guild" army I've ever seen.

Where have all the "Dwarf Warriors Guild" armies gone? ;)

Dragon Prince of Caledor
19-07-2008, 03:53
is that not the most boring list in the world to play? I would say if you are going to take an anvil take multiple miner units and take that banner that allows ur army to move before the game. Then you can take fight to the enemy! Without excessive missiles! In my own experience gunlines are no fun to play with and easy to defeat.

MrPickles
19-07-2008, 04:03
If gunlines are so easy to defeat why does everyone complain against them? I don't see what the problem is with so-called competitive lists. Isn't the objective of the game to win? I don't think any individual unit in this army is "broken", so to speak. I personally am attracted to a style that requires more tact in the deployment phase and a bit less when the actual game starts. If I want to play an army that takes the fight to the enemy, I will play my wood elves.

I apologize if this came off harsh. No hard feelings.

AFoolProofPlan
19-07-2008, 07:01
Come on now guys. It's just a list. And I'm pretty sure many of you already know how to beat a list like this anyways.
But with that said, I have to agree to couple things. I don't think many people will be happy to face a gunline. And even when you do win, some might complain that all you did was roll dices.

I would strongly suggest you convert the warriors and such to look little more Engineer-ish...

MrPickles
19-07-2008, 14:20
That's exactly what I plan on doing. To give my opponents something pretty to look at while I blow him up. :evilgrin:

Any good kits or bits I could use to give them that engineer's touch?

MrPickles
19-07-2008, 18:45
Sorry for the double post, but I changed my list around a little bit more. I bolstered the warrior unit, took out a thunderer unit, took out a bolt thrower, and added in a longbeards unit to stand between the thunderers for morale and shooting protection.

AFoolProofPlan
20-07-2008, 00:22
There's an Article on Gee Dubs website I think.
The guy there uses converted Ironbreakers for his troops.

Stinkfoot
21-07-2008, 03:09
If gunlines are so easy to defeat why does everyone complain against them?

Gunlines turn the game into rock-paper-scissors. Gunlines fall easily to anti-gunline lists, but against an all comer list (at least, most all-comer lists) gun lines blow the enemy off the table.

The game is supposed to be a tactical exercise, and if you take an army like this, reducing the game to a rock-paper-scissors of counter lists, you remove that element and lessen the game.