PDA

View Full Version : hit a snag in 5th edition

bobafett012
05-07-2008, 01:50
i ran into this the other day while playing a 5th edition game using the stores copy. a walker and a squad of marines were in CC, the problem we hit was, could a tank RAM that walker while he is in CC??(NOT tank shock) we looked and looked and could find nothing saying you COULDN'T ram something, be it a tank, dread, etc etc while it was in CC. i might have just missed it but if someone knows and can specify where exactly it clarifies this i would be greatful.

thx

Damocles8
05-07-2008, 01:52
that would sound legal, if (depending on placement) the infantry took a tank shock from it....

big squig
05-07-2008, 01:58
Ramming is tank shocking.

Frgt/10
05-07-2008, 02:18
theres a glitch in 4th ed which allows a tank to tank shock into combat to 'break' the combat. not sure if they fixed it for 5th

gideon0330
05-07-2008, 02:33
Good Question. The rules do state that you can't flame/barrage your own units so it would make sence that you couldn't ram the walker if it would overrun into your own units.

IIRC Ramming requires you to move the entire move distance unless the rammed model survived. So as long as you could hit it and miss your own units if the walker was destroyed i dont see why you couldn't ram the walker.

bobafett012
05-07-2008, 03:18
Ramming is tank shocking.

in the 5th rule book at the store tank shocking and ramming are 2 competely different things, with completely different rules. tank shock is used against non-vehical units, and walkers where as ramming is used ONLY against vehicals or walkers. obviously there is a grey area there and that would be the walkers.
BTW i had the tank trying to do the ramming and he had the walker which was a soul grinder. i set my tank up to the side armor of the soul grinder to ram it which would have not touched my troops at all even if he went through it when and if it died. but we were still on the fence as tanks in CC aren't "locked" where as walkers are, so we just rolled off for it but i still would like to know the actual rules.

big squig
05-07-2008, 03:44
in the 5th rule book at the store tank shocking and ramming are 2 competely different things, with completely different rules. tank shock is used against non-vehical units, and walkers where as ramming is used ONLY against vehicals or walkers. obviously there is a grey area there and that would be the walkers.
BTW i had the tank trying to do the ramming and he had the walker which was a soul grinder. i set my tank up to the side armor of the soul grinder to ram it which would have not touched my troops at all even if he went through it when and if it died. but we were still on the fence as tanks in CC aren't "locked" where as walkers are, so we just rolled off for it but i still would like to know the actual rules.
Tank shock and ramming are two different things in the book, but ramming is described right after tank shock and the very first sentence of the ramming rules state that ramming is a version of tank shock.

mockier
06-07-2008, 05:44
it would have to be both tankshock and ramming move.
According to the rules you can't do it (from the tankshock section)

Remember, though, that friendly models still cannot be
moved through, so a tank shock cannot be attempted
if friendly models are in the way. Also, tank shock
cannot be attempted against enemy units that are
locked in combat, as the risk of harming friends in the
swirling melee is too high.

Lax
06-07-2008, 10:11
I second mockier, since ramming is a special tank shock and tank shock cannot be done in this case :)

Azzy
06-07-2008, 14:15
Agreed with Big Squig.

Long_Fang
06-07-2008, 14:46
Ramming is a special version of tank shock and is treated the same, with the following exception, the vehicle must move at its maximum speed.

Alessander
06-07-2008, 20:45
Read the book, there is a special section about ramming walkers. If the walker is facing the ramming vehicle, he can either choose to brace (and take the ram) or attempt a death or glory attack. however, if rammed in the back side, the dreadnought just has to brace and can't cant get the chance for glory.

gideon0330
06-07-2008, 20:48
i ran into this the other day while playing a 5th edition game using the stores copy. a walker and a squad of marines were in CC, the problem we hit was, could a tank RAM that walker while he is in CC??(NOT tank shock) we looked and looked and could find nothing saying you COULDN'T ram something, be it a tank, dread, etc etc while it was in CC. i might have just missed it but if someone knows and can specify where exactly it clarifies this i would be greatful.

thx

Looked it up with the store copy yesterday, Ramming uses the rules for Tank Shock and Tank shock rules state that you can not tank shock into h2h