PDA

View Full Version : Wraithguard: still 2nd ed models?

Ixe
05-07-2008, 17:02
I have a quick question: have Wraithguard been updated since 2nd edition? I was planning to make an Iyanden list, but then I saw some old-looking WG up close, and it sorta turned me off... Did they get new models in tandem with the 4th ed codex, or are we still looking at the 25 year old crap molds?

ThousandPlateaus
05-07-2008, 17:04
They're still the same from 2nd, but they're very nice sculpts, irl.

Ixe
05-07-2008, 17:13
Yeah... I'm conflicted . I went and looked at some on CMON, and they looked fantastic. Maybe I'm just disliking the models IRL because the one I saw had the paint slobbered on, and was coated with gloss varnish on top of that. Thanks for the quick reply :)

IJW
05-07-2008, 17:14
are we still looking at the 25 year old crap molds?
They aren't crap (in my opinion), and the game hasn't existed for 25 years... WG are from '94.

scopedog91
05-07-2008, 17:21
Nice looking models like the WG have no need to be redone, unless they were to switched over to plastic.
Some fine looking models from that period look great.
The Dark Angels Grand Master is from that period, and I feel it is one of the most compelling, iconic pieces that GW has ever done. Many of the newer sculpts have not lived up to the standards of a few of the older, classic pieces. There is some old crap floating around, but how much of the new stuff is just rehashed, older ideas??
Just my two cents...

vartemis
05-07-2008, 18:22
The fact that the Wraithlord was redone to look like the old Wraithguard just shows how well the original sculpts were. Occasionally they get it right the first time.

j

Snorphel
05-07-2008, 22:54
The models are (still) quite good - but made in plastic (like the new WL) - they could be made quite a bit nicer!

The problem now is that the metal ones are still on the small bases and rather expensive.

And - with the new ruleset (because they can be troops and because of the running rule) GW could make quite some money if they release a plastic box set...

Inquisitor Engel
05-07-2008, 23:49
The Falcon is almost as old, 1996 IIRC?

I think the Wraithguard are the oldest non-character models as far as I know. I can't think of one that's not been updated since before the Wraithguard. A lot of the current character models are from that period.

Eldrad, Azrael, Tycho, Abaddon, Mephiston et al. They're all brilliant models. Their poses might be lacking compared to some of the current dynamic poses, but the detail is still just as good as what we get today. Plus their faces are very high quality, which still seems to be a hit-or-miss thing, even now.

Bloodknight
05-07-2008, 23:55
I think that IG rough riders and ratlings are also from that period. Since mine are all painted, I cannot look at a tag now, but since all 2nd ed. metal IG are copyright 94, I guess the Ratties and RR should be, too.

The Phazer
06-07-2008, 00:01
I think that IG rough riders and ratlings are also from that period. Since mine are all painted, I cannot look at a tag now, but since all 2nd ed. metal IG are copyright 94, I guess the Ratties and RR should be, too.

The Rough Riders are even older than the Ratlings off the top of my head.

The Eldar Jetbike kit is equally old.

Phazer

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
06-07-2008, 00:52
how could anybody say they are crap - they are perfect - i just hope they re-do them in plastic.

then, i might be tempted to play something other than chaos for the first time ever

i said it again - those are awersome minis!

Freakiq
06-07-2008, 00:57
Just give them a boxed set, like 5 for 20 or something.

8 per is just way too expensive.

Kulgur
06-07-2008, 01:07
Really old models that I can think of:
Leman Russ tank
Chimera
Basilisk
Ork buggy
Sentinel (end of 2nd ed, not sure if it's the same)
Falcon

Bloodknight
06-07-2008, 01:50
No, the plastic Sentinel is from 3rd edition, it appeared with the first 3rd edition Guard codex, which should be 1999. Before we had the bumper car on legs from the mid-90s, and before that the egg on legs.
The IG tanks are all pretty early in the '94 range, and their big redo in IIRC 2003 with the current IG codex consisted of a changed universal vehicle accessory sprue and a changed Demolisher cannon.

Magos Explorator
06-07-2008, 09:25
The Phoenix Lords were released around the same time. The Falcon and Vyper were a couple of years later. Not sure which the oldest Aspect Warriors are; I think it might be the Warp Spiders (as all the other mainstream ones have been redone, now, and the Shining Spears were newer). In WHFB, Dragon Ogres are pretty old models. Most of my other favourites from my youth have been updated, though!

Bregalad
06-07-2008, 10:50
Don't forget some of the Farseers, and yes, Warp Spiders are 2nd edition, too. And the Banshees and harlequins from that period are still usable.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
06-07-2008, 11:11
Don't forget some of the Farseers, and yes, Warp Spiders are 2nd edition, too. And the Banshees and harlequins from that period are still usable.

didn't they had las pistols instead of shuri?

Doomseer
06-07-2008, 11:15
The Wraithguard models are awesome, testament to the talented sculptors at GW, hence no remakes.

There was a mention somewhere IIRC shortly after the release of the latest Codex, hinting at a CC version of the Wraithguard. Maybe a plastic set enabling both builds could be with us in the near future, if GW's proposed plan to add new Units for each army by installments goes ahead?

The Warp Spiders are about the same age as Far as I remember.

Gorbad Ironclaw
06-07-2008, 11:18
didn't they had las pistols instead of shuri?

They do, but does it make a difference? A pistol is a pistol is a pistol. It might look slightly different but *shrug* It's not like there are options for what pistol they have so there isn't any room for confusion.

scarletsquig
06-07-2008, 16:10
I remember when wraithguard were 4.50 each! I thought they ere too expensive back then, too. :p

Some plastics would be great, but I'd like to see new jetbikes first.

I'm hoping that the next wave of eldar releases will go something like:

- Plastic wraithguard
- Plastic Jetbikes (with extra shuriken cannon, warlock and shining spear options.. I'm sure they could fit it all on the sprue)
- Warp spiders
- Warlocks

Falcon doesn't need to be touched, it's a brilliant model. The forgeworld scorpion also looks great, so if GW keeps releasing superheavies, that's something I'd love to see in plastic.

TheDarkFlame
06-07-2008, 17:43
Just give them a boxed set, like 5 for 20 or something.

8 per is just way too expensive.

Too expensive? This is Games Workshop we're talking about...

Patriarch
06-07-2008, 19:55
[old git]

Pah - you're all noobs! ;)

The only correct models for WG are the Rogue Trader Ghost Warriors. Mine have been killing upstart humans for nearly 20 years. And these boys are low down enough to crouch behind walls, guardians, etc etc....

[/old git]

(pic shamelessly pilfered from Stuff of Legends (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2101eldardreadnoughts-m.htm))

Ixe
06-07-2008, 20:39
Oi, isn't it time you went into the Infinity Circuit, old man? Time to leave the fate of the craftworld to the spry young 400-year-olds :p

IJW
06-07-2008, 20:58
[old git]

Pah - you're all noobs! ;)

The only correct models for WG are the Rogue Trader Ghost Warriors. Mine have been killing upstart humans for nearly 20 years. And these boys are low down enough to crouch behind walls, guardians, etc etc....

[/old git]
[even older git]
http://ianjameswood.co.uk/warseer/40k_eldar_ghost_warrior1.jpg

http://ianjameswood.co.uk/warseer/40k_eldar_ghost_warrior2.jpg

http://ianjameswood.co.uk/warseer/40k_eldar_ghost_warrior_flames_1.jpg

http://ianjameswood.co.uk/warseer/40k_eldar_ghost_warrior_flames_2.jpg
[/even older git]

It's worth pointing out that Ghost Warriors have almost nothing in common with Wraithguard in terms of how they play on the table, though - Ghost Warriors were semi-invisible assassin drones...

Insta_AxE_Toast
07-07-2008, 00:54
Damn, I need to get some of those old Ghost Warrior models. Now that would be cool!

Cypher
07-07-2008, 02:14
They're nice models, but dollar wise they're far too expensive. If there was a plastic kit that put them around the same price as terminators Id snap them up, but right now A$250 for a ten man unit represents half what Id spend on any other army.