PDA

View Full Version : IG Specific Forums?

mockier
06-07-2008, 08:43
I have been away from the hobby since 4th ed. Thinking of playing again with my Imperial Guard but looking for a good IG online community.

I used to use Grim Stalkers site and the command tower but both are dead.

Mostly looking for a good place to talk IG tactics with fellow IG players.

greenbull
06-07-2008, 08:47
How about this:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/Boot_Camp/
Not as active as here, but IG specific.

Remoah
06-07-2008, 08:48
Um... this one.
Warseer is predominantly IG, and by far has the highest ratio of IG topics.
There ARE some IG boards out there but this one has probably the highest ratio and has a fairly large user base so you'll get advice fairly quickly.

And you havent missed much, except that guard are basically impossible to win with against any kind of tourney army

Klam
06-07-2008, 09:08
I have been away from the hobby since 4th ed. Thinking of playing again with my Imperial Guard but looking for a good IG online community.

I used to use Grim Stalkers site and the command tower but both are dead.

Mostly looking for a good place to talk IG tactics with fellow IG players.

You could try 40konline too, really good reads on IG.

Col. Tartleton
06-07-2008, 15:40
Boot Camp is nice, not too much activity, but good well thought out stuff mixed with all the crap a small board throws at you (The general chat is a hoot.)

But your definitely at the major IG board right now.

DarkMatter2
06-07-2008, 15:42
Yeah, Warseer is more or less a site for IG fanboys.

sigur
06-07-2008, 16:04
That's just because IG has greatly grown in popularity in the past years.

DarkMatter2
06-07-2008, 16:06
What possible reason could there be for that? It can't be the Codex. We haven't gotten anything new besides a few (admittedly awesome looking) Commissars and Ogryns. IG is a gimp faction in DOW.

vladsimpaler
06-07-2008, 16:43
Here's the IG tactics thread:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101&page=495

Anyway, the reason is because IG offers customization that's unparalled to any other faction.

Players like being able to create their -own- army, down to the way they fight, with doctrines. Can't do that with Smurfs, you know.

Forgeworld is another biggie. DKoK anyone?

Bloodknight
06-07-2008, 16:50
IG are the coolest, that's why ;).

Also, IG have grown in popularity since it became possible to pay for an army - at the beginning of 3rd edition, when points were cut in half, an IG army would have been a serious financial investment. They were one of THE powergamer factions, but you still rarely saw them since they were freakishly expensive to build. The plastic sets cut the cost in half. (Just for the record, I checked some prices yesterday from a WD from 1998 and found out that even a new metal Imperial Guard today can be obtained for less money than 10 years ago, so much for price hikes for us ;)).

DarkMatter2
06-07-2008, 17:01
I agree they are the coolest, but they are the coolest in a slightly harder to appreciate way then "OMGZORZ BOLTER AND TEH CHAINSWORD! POWER ARMOR VROOM VROOM!"

Hicks
06-07-2008, 17:02
I too have to admit that warseer is THE place to talk IG. We even have our own thread in the groups and factions forum. The only thing really missing would be a chat room, but some of us (like me) are reachable through MSN or AIM, just click the little icon under our name.

Lord Cook
06-07-2008, 17:20
Look no further my friend, for you have arrived. Warseer is ruled by the IG. Even if the other armies haven't necessarily realised yet.

Promethius
06-07-2008, 17:31
IG are the coolest, that's why ;).

Also, IG have grown in popularity since it became possible to pay for an army - at the beginning of 3rd edition, when points were cut in half, an IG army would have been a serious financial investment. They were one of THE powergamer factions, but you still rarely saw them since they were freakishly expensive to build. The plastic sets cut the cost in half. (Just for the record, I checked some prices yesterday from a WD from 1998 and found out that even a new metal Imperial Guard today can be obtained for less money than 10 years ago, so much for price hikes for us ;)).

QFT. As a proud owner of around 4000pts of original metal Cadians, collected in 2nd/early 3rd, I can attest that Guard armies are cheaper than they ever used to be. I was able to get ten metal models with heavy + special + serg for around 20, nowadays it costs me 36 for a box of 20 cadians and three heavy weapons teams, with enough spare bits to kit out the squads and have a support squad. So you're looking at less than the cost of two metal squads around 10-14 years ago for an extra six models, and more versatility re. posing etc.

I've not been aware of any IG specific forums, although the bell of lost souls do regular IG articles and have an awful lot of coverage recently due to their upcoming macharian crusade campaign book. Warseer seems to be a guard-haven, with the IG tread-head thread, the who loves guard thread and the IG tactics thread all being immensely popular. By contrast, the only other faction specific thread I can think of which approaches these for size is the who loves orks thread, and of course even us guard players post in that because we love worthy adversaries (and orks are hilarious to face).

DarkMatter2
06-07-2008, 17:33
recently due to their upcoming macharian crusade campaign book.

Whoa...what is this? Some kind of Forgeworld book or something?

I want to buy this.

Bloodknight
06-07-2008, 17:40
Just to throw a number in:
According to the last polls, the IG would be the second most popular army in the game - if Warseer was a statistically significant sample ;)

Promethius
06-07-2008, 17:49
Whoa...what is this? Some kind of Forgeworld book or something?

I want to buy this.

No, it's a fan-made book, but it looks good:

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/03/sneak-peak-bols-2008-campaign.html

Commissar Vaughn
06-07-2008, 18:01
This is a good site for the IG.

Its true though, Guard have increaced in popularity over the last few years. My current gaming group has a small core of Guard players, we get some stick cos everyone knows Guard are rubbish at the moment, but Ive noticed more and more of the "uber marine tourny player" group collecting Guard on the side, and looking a bit more thoughtful when theyre having to face a Guard army. By now out of an average weekly attendance at the club of around 20 people at least 8 collect Guard, and play them on a regular basis.

It seems as tho the Guard has earned some respect; They tend to surprise people as despite their weaknesses, they tend to give as good as they get and they never give up. When you play marines you know what your up against(all marine armies are compact, elite and well armoured), when your fighting the Guard your up against a whole load of unknown quantaties and its a whole different table top wargame.

And as the general said "La Garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!"

DarkMatter2
06-07-2008, 18:06
Out of my gaming group I am one of 2 people who play Guard as their main army (the other guy plays Armored Company which everyone hates.)

No one around here thinks badly of the Guard (I have had bizarre conversations where people insist that the Guard is the strongest army in the game...if you use hordes of Lasgun wielding goons.)

Which means that I don't get laughed at (people in the know are usually impressed with my obscenely expensive Mordian army), but at the same time, I never get the satisfaction of a disappointed Marine player who thinks they are going to squash me.

Marines are way, way, way more common around here.