PDA

View Full Version : All wood elves ... no treemen

Frankly
06-07-2008, 11:58
Does anyone actually run, play or play against an all wood elf WE armylist?

At the club or in my gaming group we've got WE players, but most of them play with mixed lists between WE and treeman.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were are pure Wood elf lists.

I was thinking of making a mobile shooty list with JUST wood elves, most likely with a good amount of W.Dancers, riders and a few G.Guard. I don't know if Ill go heavy magic, but I do love the look and feel of magic heavy elf lists, I think it looks fluffy and cool.

Anyway any thoughts, or is anyone playing such a list or played against such a list.

semersonp
06-07-2008, 14:27
the first few molds of my we army contained no treemen...

but they were a touch too spread out for my taste and some units were invariably exposed to enemy magic/shooting/etc by virtue of just not enough foresty bits on the board...

now i throw in a treeman, a brachwraith and a handful of dryads and... hmm, well thats it for trees, really...

but they tighten up the lines just that extra little bit to where my forests can move and cover my forces safely... plus the punch of dryads really opens things up for your elves and the extra spell, huge tree on the field diverts attention from your somewhat more vulnerable elf units...

but yeah, an all elf force would work fine if you have huge forest plates or don't mind a few would-have-been immortals taking some missiles through their concave chests :)

Frankly
06-07-2008, 16:47
Lol, yeah. What I see is a few players starting all WE armies and slowly start adding dryads to their list, them suddenly one day there on the other side of the table sits his first treeman.

Its a funny process I see alot.

I'm wondering if anyone just sticks to W.Dancers instead of dyrads.

fubukii
06-07-2008, 17:25
no bc dryads are probably one the best core choices in the game :)

also the models are cool

Frankly
06-07-2008, 17:33
Thats not wht I want to hear fubukii(although I know its true).;)

PeG
06-07-2008, 18:52
I play against WE and from what I can see WE have two viable strategies, either go with trees and potentially wardancers that can kill things in close combat and kill things with combined charges. Or do only elves and avoid close combat at all costs. Run around the enemy and shoot them to pieces. If you are up against other fast armies the latter strategies will be problematic and all other enemies will hate youfor not getting involved in CC.

I prefer to fight either combined trees+elves or only trees. Only elves becomes the old paper-scissors game. If I bring an army fast enough to catch them I win if not I lose. Not very fun regardless of what happens.

RavenBloodwind
06-07-2008, 19:16
I frequently run an all-Asrai list. It does fairly well against many opponents but gets bogged down mightily against higher toughness targets (got its lunch eaten by a KoS yesterday).

I don't use eternal guard or wild riders (personal preference) and so my list has quite a few glade guard and glade riders (usually 3 units of each) with wardancers as my combat troops and a unit of warhawk riders and some waywatchers for march blocking and war machine hunting.

Overall the list has fared well although a few mediocre dice and you're well on your way to being slaughtered.

Frankly
06-07-2008, 19:51
Any hints or tips for characters?

And are W.Watcher actually any good at killing things? Or are they just march blockers.

semersonp
06-07-2008, 20:34
characters...

i personally take 1 wild rider noble on a great stag, 2 gw spell singers and 1 branchwraith...

just enough potency to each hero to draw compensation from my opponent... basically makes a house divided of each and every opposing force...

move your forests, shoot a bit, flank charge a bit, magic a bit... it really throws opposing armies for a loop or three...

way watchers... i began my troop with them... cool models but... they always failed me... i got with regular scouts now in my bonus wood... they are el cheapo and march block and hit more than their distant gg counterparts...

RavenBloodwind
06-07-2008, 20:47
Waywatchers are really there only for psychological warfare. Opponents who don't play against them regularly will be inordinately distracted by them. Bewildered cries of "hits on 2's with ranged killing blow?!" should make you immediately aware you've hooked a sucker.

Realistically don't expect them to do much in the killing department.

OldMaster
06-07-2008, 20:48
Waywatchers are actually pretty good for assssinating things.
At least, theoretically.

Wood Elf heroes can acchieve just about anything becuase of their subers magic items list.

fubukii
06-07-2008, 21:27
wood elf heroes are pretty amazing, thier mages are very good, and so are alter nobles for thier point cost.

Just have to be careful with them as they are very fragile.
Alter noble - helm of the hunt, hail of doom arrow and great weapon is a must take in most lists it seems :P

Frankly
07-07-2008, 16:12
Ok thannks guys.

I might come back with some ideas to see what you fellas think.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-07-2008, 17:22
all things tree in a wood elf army fill a hole that would exist in an all elf wood elf list IMO. As with all elves wood elves are fragile but more so than other elves and all you could do is shoot. Warrdancers and wild riders are cool but i still think that tree are necessary.

Frankly
07-07-2008, 21:22
yeaaah still we're working with a theme here.:D

Andrew Luke
07-07-2008, 21:30
Eternal Guard! Big Blocks of them! They can fight in CC! YEAH!! Might not be the most effective but would be fun as hell to play. :D

Chicago Slim
08-07-2008, 01:17
Getting back to the original question... I've been playing Wood Elves for a while, and under 6th/7th, I occasionally play them without Treemen. Usually, if I'm not bringing a Treeman, then it's because I've chosen to bring no Forest Spirits at all (or else "all Elves", which allows me Wild Riders, but not Dryads, Treekin nor Treemen).

Sometimes I've played these armies as a response to a specific challenge-- my mate and I may say, "You bring Wood Elves, but only real elves, and I'll bring Dwarves with no shooting!" or something like that. Sometimes its just been a personal choice.

In either case, it's definitely possible to build a strong, serious force, without a Treeman (and even without Treemen, Treekin nor Dryads). As you might guess, that's becomes an army that depends on a lot of shooting and magic, with a bunch of Wardancers to slaughter anything that gets through. Sucks against cavalry, of course, but what can you do? :)

druchii
08-07-2008, 02:53
A friend of mine runs a list of all elves. Not a single unit has an armor save, either.
He's got 40 some glade guard, two blocks of wardancers, some waywatchers (two units, actually) and a mage and some fighty heroes.

He does surprisingly well. Against everything except the most hardcore lists he is quite competative and has won games against people that really didn't give his list any credit.

I think it's really cool to see him use it, and honestly after he played with it for several months, and returned to his two treeman, lord on dragon+40 archers list he was actually doing BETTER with his over the top list!

d

Frankly
08-07-2008, 11:35
He's got 40 some glade guard, two blocks of wardancers, some waywatchers (two units, actually) and a mage and some fighty heroes.

Yeah I'm thinking of something like this, most likely go shooty + mobile and cover bases with either more f.cavalry and/or war dances. Most likely go for some heavy hitty characters over magic.

trying to fight the dark side and not swap over to a dark elf armylist. :evilgrin:

Frankly
08-07-2008, 11:37

Yeah I'm thinking of something like this, most likely go shooty + mobile and cover bases with either more f.cavalry and/or war dances. Most likely go for some heavy hitty characters over magic.

trying to fight the dark side and not swap over to a dark elf armylist. :evilgrin:

Mainly due to points cost, I not a fan of tree folk and that the new book is coming out.

Ikarius
21-07-2008, 08:45
I've done moderately well with a pure Welf list. I found that my biggest problem was that I had nothing to toss in front of the other guy's big scary units. While I'm not a huge fan of Tree-men and Treekin (I love my Way-watchers and War-dancers), I've found that two x 12 woman regiments of Dryads takes care of all my CC trouble and keeps my bow-line safe.

And are W.Watcher actually any good at killing things? Or are they just march blockers.

Assuming that they have the charge and you use the right dance for what you're fighting you can shred most infantry. Also, nothing like getting that 6+ save and laughing because it makes NO sense (Tattoos are armor? Really?).

Shamfrit
21-07-2008, 10:37
I never use Treemen when using Wood Elves, either online or using my mate's Wood Elf army (we swap around alot.) They're expensive, and too slow compared to the other options available, another unit of Wild Riders and a couple of Great Eagles will serve you better than a Treeman will, as far as I'm concerned. Too much of a liability is the right term.

That, and once they're bogged down and or wounded a few times your opponent gets 150 odd points and you don't get to contest table quarters with him anymore.

Krootman
22-07-2008, 04:47
wood elf heroes are pretty amazing, thier mages are very good, and so are alter nobles for thier point cost.

Just have to be careful with them as they are very fragile.
Alter noble - helm of the hunt, hail of doom arrow and great weapon is a must take in most lists it seems :P

dont forget shield and light armor :D

Fugg
22-07-2008, 04:58
I've always thought an all Wood Elf army with no Forest Spirits could be neat, but I see it lacking punch and being very vulnerable to high strength attacks.

Krootman
22-07-2008, 05:03
I've always thought an all Wood Elf army with no Forest Spirits could be neat, but I see it lacking punch and being very vulnerable to high strength attacks.

wardancers can pack a punch as well as eg if you do it right. 2 units of eternal guard with wardancers on the flanks supported by a nasty dragon lord and archers and you have a pretty good list.

Ikarius
22-07-2008, 19:42
I don't see why everyone loves Eternal Guard so much. Sure, they're a "proper" RAF unit, but Wood Elves don't NEED blocks of RAF. To me, they're way too unwieldy compared to the rest of my army, and I'd much rather get something that can move freely.

FigureFour
22-07-2008, 20:25
I don't see why everyone loves Eternal Guard so much. Sure, they're a "proper" RAF unit, but Wood Elves don't NEED blocks of RAF. To me, they're way too unwieldy compared to the rest of my army, and I'd much rather get something that can move freely.

They aren't really that popular. A few people really like big units of them.

The Red Scourge
23-07-2008, 06:37
...and you don't get to contest table quarters with him anymore.

I'll gladly restore some faith in your treeman here shamfrit.

The treeman has US6, this should allow him to contest table quarters unless you use some special house rule.

What I'm guessing is that you're counting unit strenght from remaining wounds. This is wrong. Unit strength for monsters is specifically based on 'Starting Wounds'. See BRB p. 87.

So your treeman will be able to contest table quarters and negate ranks throughout his entire lifetime. Enjoy ;)

The Red Scourge
23-07-2008, 06:40

High strength attacks aren't dangerous to WE.

A high number of low strength attacks is much, much worse :cries:

Boreas_NL
23-07-2008, 09:55
An all Elf army? My Wood Elves army is all Wood! Not a single pointy eared sissiy in sight...

Kidjal
23-07-2008, 13:07
Ive only been playing welves for about 6 weeks, and so far I've been running with units of glade guard and riders, providing support fire for surgical wardancer strikes on flanks/small units.

works pretty well, but as already said, they suffer for large amounts of low strength hits. Dwarf grenades hurt wardancers bad.

Krootman
23-07-2008, 20:27

vs some armies you really need that cr to hold and allow you to flnak with dryads, wardancers, or wild riders.

Andrew Luke
23-07-2008, 20:49
Yeah, I've decided to build an all Asrai army armed with crossbows... still working on the fluff, gonna use Druchii rules for em, no khainite stuff, should be interesting...

Gaftra
23-07-2008, 21:23
in an all WE army id be hard pressed not to take the two big blocks of eternal guard. its about the only way youre going to be able to win against any army with a save. youll want a two units of seven wild riders probably in order to get any real hitting power out of that list. also scouts over waywatchers to march block and harass war machines.
there is really no "power list" with all WE. Id definitely. take a lord with a dragon so you can put out some damage too

FigureFour
24-07-2008, 14:25
also scouts over waywatchers to march block and harass war machines.

If you're going to take scouts you might as well take Waywatchers. Scouts are WAY overcosted and Waywatchers get a lot for the extra couple points. It's much more efficent.

Plus they're an archer unit that isn't totally wasting it's time shooting at knights.

smileyface
24-07-2008, 16:17
in an all WE army id be hard pressed not to take the two big blocks of eternal guard. its about the only way youre going to be able to win against any army with a save.

Maybe... but if you catch them in the flank with Wild Riders, and the front with Wardancers and/or alter kindred nobles, most things will fold up.

Max_Killfactor
24-07-2008, 17:40
I just played a 2250 "all elf" Wood Elf army last night.

My 2 hydras scorched his waywatchers and wardancers, then ate his lord and eternal guard... he had no way of stopping them. He conceded in the 5th turn I think. All he had left was 2 waywatchers, 2 wardancers, and 3 scouts.

I think the list can work, but watch out for monsters, especially ones that breathe fire. If I play that list again, I'm not going to take hydras... it was hardly fun.

smileyface
24-07-2008, 20:42
I think the list can work, but watch out for monsters, especially ones that breathe fire. If I play that list again, I'm not going to take hydras... it was hardly fun.

To be fair, Dryads wouldn't stop them either. A combined wildrider+alter kindred charge probably would (if the character passed his terror check), a treeman would, or a dragon would. Short of that you're looking at shooting and magic. A good argument for always taking the HODA.

aeon flux
26-07-2008, 20:07
i recentelly played a no treemen list. It was my 1st game with my WE army and I have no treemen in it. Unfortunatelly, I played against WE with 2 treeman.
My army had:
-highborn with bow of loren, amber pendant and starfire arrows
-spellsinger with 2 disp scrolls
-10 glade guard with standard of zenith and musician
-10 glade guard with musician
-10 glade guard with musician
-9 scouts with musician
-9 scouts with musician
-8 dryads
-8 dryads
-8 dryads
-7wardancers with bladesinger and musician
-9 waywatchers
total 1992 pts

my archers made mince of his wardancers and glade guard. The dryads and wardancers were more than a match for his wild riders. However, I couldn't crack his treeman with my CC units. the game was a draw.

I left out a unit of 14 eternal guard that I'm really looking forward to putting to the test. I also have 2 units of 8 glade riders with musician for next time.

The wardancers are survivable and reliable and I may yet get another unit (with models from other ranges, like reaper or hasselfree).