PDA

View Full Version : How long did you stick with your first army?

bob monkey
06-07-2008, 22:42
I was wondering how long people stuck with their first army. Did they get bored and switch straight away? Because i want to try something different but i was wondering how many games should i play with one army first.

Rodman49
06-07-2008, 22:43
Nine years of Empire for me, then again I have a lot of options for playstyles . . .

Braad
06-07-2008, 22:46
4 years straight and still running.
O&G is everything.

Gobbo Lord
06-07-2008, 22:49
Orcs and Goblins all the way. From when i started in fourth, and taken up again when i returned in 6th.

If you stick with one army you get really good at painting it, build up a diverse selection of units and really come to understand it. I find people who swap armies all the time have a large selection of unpainted models forgotten as they buy the next new thing and usually dont understand the armies as well. Of course this isnt everyone. Each army has many playstyles and years and years of learning, painting, converting and playing with available.

With interest did you pick your army because you really like the idea and models of it, or because you thought you would win with them. If you pick an army you love youll never grow bored. If you pick one to win you will constantly switch and change all the time as new better armies become known to you. Just look at the Orcs and Goblins, they have the very worst army book at the moment but i still play them and dont consider anything else (And neither does Braad by the looks of it).

vampires are cool!
06-07-2008, 22:52
Still slogging away with VCs for, oh, it must be 13 years now. Hell, that's a lot of money i've spent.

RavenBloodwind
06-07-2008, 22:56
I'm with everyone else here it would seem. Norse (humans and dwarfs) evolved into empire along the way but fundamentally the same since 1986 or so.

I've added a few along the way but still play the same armies much of the time even though they lead content is probably toxic.

Bretonnian Lord
06-07-2008, 22:56
3 years of playing Bretonnians and still going. :)

They're the only army I play, and the only army that really interests me. I might collect some of the new Dark Elves as a side project, but Bretonnians will always be my main army. :D

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-07-2008, 22:57
Started out with Skaven, bought a box of clanrats and then never played. Bought a buttload of Bretonnians, painted some of them up, and got really bored really fast. Moved on to Orcs and Goblins and I'm having a good time with them.

theunwantedbeing
06-07-2008, 22:59
Before I started a new army?
3-4 years.
Then I defected to the dark elves....I'll be going back to chaos for a bit when the new DE rules appear.

][nquist0r
06-07-2008, 23:04
9 years of chaos in one form or another in fantasy and 40k.

Nephilim of Sin
06-07-2008, 23:12
Undead (now VC...kinda). For almost fourteen years. It was two years later before I started Dark Elves, but I always kept building my first army. Now, if only I had painted it during that time, that would be one thing......

Since then I have quite a few more armies, and have sold off some others. Started 40k, then but that on the back burner. Even my Dwarves (albeit slowly) have seen more love lately than my Undead, but I always desire to do more with them, and looking forward to actually painting them when I am done with a few armies (unless 2012 comes first...:eek:)

Vandur Last
06-07-2008, 23:20
Hmmn, the Empire and High Elves books were released in 1993, so thats about 15 years of Empire for me.

I considered starting a different army when i got back into WHFB recently, but i just cant stay away from those feather wearing, codpeice toting Halberdiers. :p

Angelwing
07-07-2008, 00:18
I guess 6 months to a year before I bought my second army. I still have my first army (skaven) so to answer the question, about 14 years.

kyussinchains
07-07-2008, 00:27
I played chaos for around 3 years in 4th edition before I got sick to the back teeth of having nothing to shoot at those pesky dwarf gyrocopters with, then I started dark elves and decided they were my true love, I've gone back to chaos a few times, and I'm too scared to have played a game with dark elves in 7th edition, but after the new book comes out.... I doubt I'll bother with anythng else for a long long time!

oh and I've somehow managed to pick myself up smallish armies of ogres and skaven along the way too..... just play what you want to play, if you dont like your army, sell it and buy another, if you fancy a break, it can work wonders for your enjoyment of the game if you start a new army. (I know a guy who has a massive High Elf collection, got consistently creamed throughout most of 6th edition, got a bit sick of it, started wood elves and all it did was confirm his love of his main army)

blackspring
07-07-2008, 00:52
3 years with Dark elves and I plan to continue doing so until I stop playing or are unable to play.

Dark elves are the only army I am or have been interested in playing.

Crymson
07-07-2008, 01:06
Started playing Warhammer with Wood Elves when I was 15; I'm now 27 and still playing them :)

OldMagik
07-07-2008, 01:11
Maybe 4 years still running on LM though i may do two armies at once . . .

rob_bot
07-07-2008, 01:19
I've started Dark Elves in 1998, and even though I have some more armies now, I still love to play them... so, I stuck to them for 10 years now. (the new edition of DE seems to me like a present for playing 10 years now :D )

Crazy Harborc
07-07-2008, 02:01
My first army was late, late 3rd edition Empire......Still push Empire. I did add a couple of armies as well. O & Gs, HE, DE and Woodies, Chaos Warriors, VC, TKs, The Brets, Dwarves, oh yeah....Lizzies are the latest added.

One of the advantages of being an old fart with over 40 years of wargaming and minies collecting....I have about 3000 25/28mm minies. I am guessing that about 1300 of them are GW fantasy minies. I am big on plastic versions. The rest of my minies are metal. Minifigs, Grenadier, Ral Partha, Old Glory, LOTS of Old Glory. I have several dozen other brands of minies. 10 of this and 8 or 9 of that.

Condottiere
07-07-2008, 02:16
My first army were O&G, more G than O, and I stayed with them for five years.

semersonp
07-07-2008, 02:28
picked up greenskins twenty five years ago in their first incarnation...

then chaos a few years after...

then space orcs...

then...

well, anyway - i still play my first army a quarter century later...

and they ain't going anywhere - green is too fun :)

Kerill
07-07-2008, 03:48
When I started playing warhammer my armies were:
Undead (advanced heroquest and heroquest as the base)
High Elves (4th edition box set as the base)
Chaos (Heroquest &advanced heroquest base)
Skaven (advanced heroquest base)
Wood Elves

I still have all those armies (the other armies my brother collected most of the remainder, just lizardmen, dwarves and bretonnia we never collected). My main army for about 3 years was high elves (8000 points) Then I switched to chaos (10,000 points) although my undead army was the biggest thanks to the great old skeleton horde boxed set (14,000 points). Chaos was my main army until 2 months ago with the splitting of chaos emasculating and butchering the background and fun playstyle of most of my army. At the minute I'm playing Daemons mostly, a few games with high elves and rebuilding VC. I'm looking forward to 8th edition and the hopeful re-unification of the Chaos armies.

Colonel Kolm
07-07-2008, 05:42
well i first had an empire army but never played a battle so im not gonna count that. i then bought and have played an orc and gobblin army for nearly 3 years

starlight
07-07-2008, 05:46
Started with Orks, still with Orks. :D Yes, I've been playing Greenskins longer than some Warseers have been alive. :p

I have Greenskins in just about every game GW makes. :D

To keep it fresh, I've added:

IG (foot, Mech, AC), SoB, GKs, Marines, Tyranids, Harlequins (DEWC rules), Tau

The Red Scourge
07-07-2008, 05:59
Chaos for six months.

Since they are just about finished – just need some finishing touches and basing – I've started up Wood Elves, but will probably go back to chaos in november, just to get accused of being a power creep ; )

Could just as well have been skaven or beastmen though. Just needed the variation.

devolutionary
07-07-2008, 06:00
I started playing Bretonnians in 4th ed and only now am I starting a second army.

Ward.
07-07-2008, 06:58
I started with skaven and have stayed with the, Would have taken up orcs and goblins as well but the 7th edition rules for them put me off.

bob monkey
07-07-2008, 08:16
wow nice replies.
@ Gobbo Lord: I probably picked lizzies cuz they seemed tough able to rip through things...but after playing them a few times...i realised to actually rip through things i had to get to them.

Im thinking of moving to HE but maybe i might have them as a side paint project and keep at it with the lizzies (but im sick of painting scales).

isidril93
07-07-2008, 08:28
depends on what you mean by you're thread. im collecting daemons this summer but i will still collect high elves.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
07-07-2008, 08:57
Almost 7 years and I'm still playing with them and I have a second army that doesn't get used much:p, I love my OnG. Even with all the whining of how "weak" they are I still crush my opponents.

Greetz
G

Griffin
07-07-2008, 09:40
I've just started and already got O&G and Lizzies. All fantasy armies appeal to me, so I don't see myself as abandoning any of them - I'll probably have a small one of each soon.

EdFireborn
07-07-2008, 10:46
8 months, which was 2000 points of Dark Elves....... i got really bored and wanted a change...

W0lf
07-07-2008, 11:09
First 40K army; Chaos marines (6 years ago). Still play them? Check.
First fantasy army; Hordes of chaos (13 months ago). Still play them? Check

So yeah, and im a chaos kinda guy :P

Amon 'Chakai
07-07-2008, 11:27
13 years and counting (VC)

zak
07-07-2008, 11:37
I started with Orcs and Goblins in 1994 and played with them straight for about 3-4 years, but still use them now and again. I have about 11 2k armies so I have to give them all some love.

Son_Of_A_Horus
07-07-2008, 13:16
2 years with lizards, now I'm all about the counts

Son_Of_A_Horus
07-07-2008, 13:22
8 months, which was 2000 points of Dark Elves....... i got really bored and wanted a change...

You going to change that with the release of the new DE book?

logan054
07-07-2008, 13:41
well 15 years on and off

Ethlorien
07-07-2008, 13:45
I guess it's been around eight years and going for me and my High Elves. I've got a fair number of other armies on the go at any time, but it always comes back to my High Elves.

Son_Of_A_Horus
07-07-2008, 14:28
Oh yeah, forgot I had HE too. Came 4th in a tourney with them recently lol

rodmillard
07-07-2008, 14:35
My first ever army was slaaneshi chaos. I played them (on and off) all the time I was at high school, but picked up high elves, empire, and dwarves along the way. 12 years since I left those are still my main 4 armies, although the chaos force grew into seperate hosts for slaanesh and nurgle and has now been stripped of its daemonic and human(ish) units...

Braad
07-07-2008, 14:46
Funny how there seems to be quite a few players that stick with O&G for a long time.
If you love 'm, you'll keep loving 'm!

I got to add to my first post, that in 4 years I did do some painting for a friends chaos army, converted and painted the odd dark elf model for someone else, and actually bought a few things for my own second army: beastmen, but never really got around on actually getting a new army going.
I think I'm just addicted to those little greenskins...

ZeroTwentythree
07-07-2008, 20:49
Started with Skaven about 20+/- years ago (3rd ed.) and still play them. They're still my favorite army.

I've had other armies along the way, for a bit of variety. Dwarves (got bored easilly), Daemons (RoC through Ravening Hordes era,) WE, Empire and all-gobbo O&G.

Crazy Harborc
08-07-2008, 03:17
Starting in May my old fart opponents and I started playing WAB.......AND now, we are going into Field of Glory. It's likely that by Fall we will switch back to WAB or WHFB armies.

Went on a weekend holiday for our 4th. I bought a regt. box of plastic Lizzies. Now.......the waiting for assembly and painting Lizzie army...still in the boxes (in my basement) are calling to the new regimental box which is on my main floor. I just may surprise my old fart opponents when we next switch rules/armies.:D

kroq'gar
08-07-2008, 03:26
Startted lizardmen when i was 8... and now... well. I have three slaan...

snurl
08-07-2008, 09:20
My Dwarves are still going strong.

SPYDER68
08-07-2008, 14:12
1 Month of Mortals of Chaos, i painted 1000 points of them, and converted a chariot in that time, then went to daemons.

Now, the reason for this is as follows.

I love the Mortal models
I love the Daemon Models

I hate the new half assed temp Chaos armybook.

I wasnt having fun learning an army that was having its book redone within a couple months of me buying them, since i was running alot of flesh hounds with the rest of my stuff.

Soon as they get a new armybook they will come out of their box.

Urgat
08-07-2008, 14:15
Funny how there seems to be quite a few players that stick with O&G for a long time.
If you love 'm, you'll keep loving 'm!

I've started with them about 10 years ago, and they're still my main army :)
I'm reaching 6000 points now, too.

snyggejygge
08-07-2008, 14:44
It took me 9 years until I got myself a new army, always expanding my original army instead, now 13 years later I have 3 (5) armies, Chaos (enough to build any Beasts, daemons or mortals armies I want) VC & a pure gobbo force, I also own a small lizardmen warband. Despite having these new armies I almost always end up using my Chaos force.

EffCee
08-07-2008, 15:22
Orcs and Goblins for what is going on for 20 years. Cripes!!! Started (and sometimes finished) other armies in the intervening time, but have always had my Orcies.

slayer8045
08-07-2008, 16:17
I started playing dwarves in 1988, it is still the only army I own.

Frankly
08-07-2008, 16:27
Startted lizardmen when i was 8... and now... well. I have three slaan...

You could be 9 for all we know ... and really love slanns.:D

Brought my first skellies about 20 years along, but didn't start playing VC to about 12 years ago. Things change in the undead world alot, undead, tk, vampire counts, new vampire counts... so its a nice army to come back to since theres some thing new to do with them all the time.

@Slayer8045, How many points you got in stunties?

MrBigMr
08-07-2008, 17:12
I think it's my third year with my 'nettes and still going strong. Well, S3 strong.

I have been planning to do a small Dwarf army (as Chaos Dwarfs) just to have something different on the side. But my ladies are still my number one choice over all.

TheDarkDuke
08-07-2008, 17:55
I started with High Elf my brother with Lizardmen... I guess that was 5 or 6 years ago. Both still have them and use them.

eagletsi1
08-07-2008, 17:59
I started in 1994 with the Brets, I played them until the 2002 GT. Each of them is painted separately to represent the realms they support and all of the Men at arms and archers are painted to match one of the Knights colors, (I assume he brought them with him).

Anyway after 2002, I wanted a change so I switched to Chaos Mortals. Played them for about 2 years and Switched to High Elves, now I'm almost completed painting my Ogres. Soon I will have 4 Armies fully painted and all will have competed in a GT.

razormasticator
08-07-2008, 18:00
Still playing them. Dark Angels since Rouge Trader days.

40kdhs
08-07-2008, 18:37
I'm still playing it because I invested so much money and time. I plan to keep it.

Wadders
08-07-2008, 19:48
Undead/VC/Khemri for 23 years

Although i have bought and played many armies in between.... the undead fascinate me!@!

Onidan
08-07-2008, 20:06
Could have sworn I allready posted here, but canīt seem to find the post O.o

Strange...

Anyway, since Iīm slowly driving into insanity anyway (imaginary posting, thatīs a clear sign):

Began Lizardmen as my first army back when they got their 6th Ed update, still playing Lizardmen solely. That I stopped playing/painting/collecting for 4-5 years in between, well thatīs nothing thatīd be relevant ^^

Gaius Marius
08-07-2008, 20:11
Started with Space Marines 13 years ago and Empire 11 years ago. I still play both. New models of course...

Kahadras
08-07-2008, 20:29
My first army was made from the old Undead book. I had it for ages up untill the point they remade the Undead as the Vampire Counts. I kinda lost interest after that and moved onto Bretonnians which I had in one shape or form up untill 7th ed where I dropped them in favour of Empire.

At the present minuite though I'm seriously concidering going back to Undead due to my legendary luck at failing leadership checks. No one in my Empire army seems to ever want to hang around in close combat if there's even the slightest possibility they'll lose. In some games it's been all over in the third turn due to a couple of marginaly lost combats and lots of failed leadership/low falling back distances/panicing/falling back off the board.

Kahadras

Rubicon
08-07-2008, 21:15
Not long with the Empire to be honest, had a small force that I quickley got bored of then moved onto Skaven, which I used for most of 4th and 5th edition. Just before 6th I started Dark Elves, and I've never looked back. I dabble with other armies but nothing compares to Dark Elves for enjoyable gaming.

Horus38
08-07-2008, 22:24
7 years with Lizardmen (My first and only WHFB army).

5 years with Eldar (My first and only 40k army).

Don't chain yourself to one army just because it's your first. I know people that have many armies but they're all smaller (2,000 points or so) and some people that have one big army and a few smaller ones, etc. It's all about having fun so go for whatever gets your creative juices flowing.

Col. Dash
08-07-2008, 22:39
DE for 10 years now. The only thing new I have bought have been manflayers heheh. Look forward to the new army book and not buying anything else lol, amazing for a new release.

Warboss Antoni
08-07-2008, 23:01
Still running my original Orcs and Goblins since I started a year ago. Now I also have a ( well tehcnically 2, Hordes and Beasts ) Chaos Army, and I have have a lot of unbuilt state troops that eventaully ( once I get a feel for both of these armies ) become an Empire Army.

40k started with marines played for a year, got noob syndrome and started gaurd, then dropped them to Orks. Have been running Orks for 2+ years now with no intention of stopping ( they're great and are my ideal army ). Gaurd have been sold and Space Marines have been revisited into a DIY chapter ( a bit after I stopped playing Gaurd but had a solid Ork army ) from Ultramarines. They haven't seen much action, but hopefully the new codex will rekindle my interest into more then it is now ( I use them more as a painting diversion then an army but they're still fun to play ). However I don't know what going to happen as the army was built as a trait chapter and is going to be obsolete.

EOT
08-07-2008, 23:46
Well i started with Undead nee Vampire Counts and they still get some love. Can't let 15k points go to waste.

neXus6
09-07-2008, 00:32
15 years and still going. Orcs and Goblins were my first army and I've still got them. :D

That said I haven't got that many points due to my whole army being trashed on a couple of occations through its history forcing me to start over. :(

I really need to get a new carry case so I can break the boyz out for a game without having to rent a van. :p

Angel0y
09-07-2008, 00:39
I still paly wood elves but i've only been palying for about a year. I'm starting daemons soon but i'll still be play my elves alot.

blueon462
09-07-2008, 12:07
I'm still playing it now...and patiently awaiting our new infusion in August (Go Dark Elves!)

Chadjabdoul
09-07-2008, 12:43
Let's see...
I started in 1993 with Orcs and Goblins. They're my first and ONLY army (around 7000 pts now), and even though I was out of the hobby for about 6 years I'd say it's a decent run

Brother Drakist
09-07-2008, 13:01
Hmm my first run with Fantasy was with O&G and they seemed fun, but I got annoyed when they destroyed my plans so many times due to squabbling. So then I tried HE when the Dragon model was released becaused I liked the model so much. However, it was not until 5-10 games of HE that I really began to appreciate the fun factor of O&G.

However I do not recommend this at all. I recommend starting an army you really like, and mastering that army. Just bare in mind that no one can master O&G.

szlachcic
09-07-2008, 13:43
My first Fantasy army was Dark Elves, which I started about 9 years ago. I started during 5th edition, but I didn't completely understand the rules (I was young and mainly a 40k player). So, I didn't actually start buying a lot of models until 6th edition came out and have played them exclusively until the 7th edition Empire book came out.

Honestly, my beloved DEs have been on the back burner as I have either been playing my Empire army or working on my 40k armies. Thankfully with the new DE release I am looking to build a completely different DE army to what I am used to and hope to have a lot of fun in the process.

While DEs are easily my favorite Warhammer army, I still like most of the others. Well, except Ogre Kingdoms and Brets. I actually like the OK models, but I just don't care much for their army composition and play style. Brets left a bad taste in my mouth after I bought a bunch of their nice looking models after their last update. I thought they were good looking and would be fun to paint before I realized they were absolutely boring to play with. If any army deserves having its tactics summed up by "point-and-click" it is Brets (excluding some of the odd or fluffy lists I see from time to time).

FigureFour
09-07-2008, 14:14
I started playing Wood Elves back around 4th or 5th edition, I'm still playing them now. I don't play anything else yet.

DigbyWeapon
09-07-2008, 14:26
Two years with Wood Elves, while my friend collected High Elves then I went to them and he went to Wood Elves.
If you want to change you mayswell because its better you spend your cash on stuff you "want".

Digby

Badmuck
15-07-2008, 07:30
i stayed with dwarfs for one year then i got bored of them

Tarethiel
15-07-2008, 13:09
I've just recently, relative to the veterans, found myself in the wargaming hobby so I've only two years invested into my first army which were Marines. Have about 2k worth including GKs and Inquisitors as an addition from Daemonhunter. I bought a squad of Term & Horms, but that never materialized and still wait to be painted.

My friend recently convinced me to try out WHF and since I was sick as hell of painting my Marines (anyone who has painted a full Regiment RED knows this pain. Worst color to paint ever! :mad:) I didn't take much convincing to try out a new game and new genre.

I've yet to decide on which army to start with. I'm thinking either Bretonians or Wood Elves. I like the "shooty" aspect of the elves, tree men, and dryads, but there has to be something said about knights crashing about in full armour.

The SkaerKrow
15-07-2008, 19:24
My first army was Chaos Dwarfs. I still have them, but I do not play the currently as their army list and rules are really no fun at all.

My second army was Skaven, who I collected because I loved the model for the Vermin Lord. I no longer play them, because I like cavalry and dislike not having a Vermin Lord.

My third army was Dark Elves, who would have been my second army had my ex-fiance not hijacked them (and guys, when your hot S/O decides that she wants to steal your Warhammer army, you let her). I restarted Dark Elves in Warhammer 6th edition, and though I've tried on some other armies, they're the only one that I consider "my" army. They're also the only army that I've ever painted and based to completion. In honor of the arrival of their new book, I'm starting either Empire, Bretonnians, Wood Elves or Orcs.

...what? I don't have to make sense! :p

Lunzo
16-07-2008, 01:13
Still going with Dark Elves which I started way back in 4th Ed. I'm still using the 4th Ed metal warriors, big chunky corsairs and afro Witch Elves :D. I did skip 5th Ed to play 40k, but made a return to the DE in 6th. I figure I should have pretty much all of my DEs painted by the end of the year, when I plan to pick up a Warriors of Chaos army as my 2nd force. But Dark Elves will definitely still be my main army.

enyoss
16-07-2008, 08:54
(I know a guy who has a massive High Elf collection, got consistently creamed throughout most of 6th edition, got a bit sick of it, started wood elves and all it did was confirm his love of his main army)

That's me :). The Wood Elves are really fun to play though so it was well worth embarking on the love affair!

My very first army was Dwarves, but I only played for a year or so with then. I then got interested in the background surrounding Chaos so made a start on a Chaos army. About a year later I read the background for the High Elves and have stuck with them ever since (about 12 years). I'm happy to admit that it took me a while to really settle on the army that was right for me.

The main reason for switching army each time was background, although it was also nice to move away from an army which other players in my group insisted on collecting (damn you and your Chaos, kyussinchains!).

I wouldn't worry too much about moving armies, but at least try and make sure you have about 2000pts before giving up. Otherwise you may find yourself having forked out quite a bit of cash on a broad range of models without being able to enjoy a decent sized game.

Also, I wouldn't sell your models as you never know when you might want to go back, and it might not be easy to re-buy the same army. I'd hate to think how hard it would be to replace my 3rd edition gyrocopter, swivel guns and flame-throwers for my dwarves :).

Cheers

enyoss

Sir_Turalyon
16-07-2008, 09:18
I stopped playing my Bretonnians after 5 years, 4 years ago - after crappy new book came out, they were no longer fun to play. It's not that I purposefuly abandoned them, just when I plan to play WFB (happens less and less often), I'm more interested in using some other army. I still have the army and occasionaly buy and paint new models for it, mostly becayse I never sell my models. But I wouldn't feel hurt if Alessio wrote write proper armybook for them...

Benzan
16-07-2008, 11:09
Started with 2nd ED 40k BA, must have been almost 16 years ago, still have them though I seem to have lost quite a few minis along the way.
Poked areound a bit in 40k but I always go back to the Blood Angels, to tasty fluff to resist.

Started WHFB maby 13 years ago playing the old Undead before the split, though I somehow lost my entire army, all 7k+ points of it besides Dieter Helsnicht on manticore, I still have no idea where I can have missplaced 200 or more minis. Lost interest then and didn't go back untill about 1 year ago, with the TK, got bored with doing UD again so I went with some sqeaky skaven instead. Now closing in on 3k I'm planning to start a non horde army, lizzies or HE for sure

The Clairvoyant
16-07-2008, 12:25
i started out with undead in 4th edition. Had half my army unusable when the first vamps book came out but stuck with them. Still have them and still my main army. The only other army i have is tomb kings who i started when they were released so i could use those old models again!

AlphaLegionMarine
16-07-2008, 13:57
I started playing in 5th edition. They didn't release the rulebook seperately at the time, so I ended up with the box set so I had Bretonnians and Lizardmen. I used them to practice on before I bought my High Elves. I ended up with a large High Elf army.

When the 6th edition rolled out, I bought the new 6e boxset which came with Empire and Orcs. I then built a 2k point Empire army to go along with my High Elves. Both armies were then shelved for a slew of MMO games, including Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, and World of Warcraft, since I never had any Fantasy opponents(most people here in Vermont play 40k). I actually left World of Warcraft, sold all my Warhammer Fantasy and got into WARMACHINE.

After two to three years of playing WARMACHINE, I got into the following armies: Orks, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, then Tau. I sold off each army to get into a newer one.

With the new release of the Dark Elves, I will finally get back into Fantasy and this will be my main army. I am even selling some of my WARMACHINE and HORDES factions to fund my purchases.

After I feel my Dark Elf collection is complete, I am considering selling my Tau for going back to 40k Orks, because with the new Ork release I find them more enjoyable than the Tau.

kyussinchains
17-07-2008, 19:37
The main reason for switching army each time was background, although it was also nice to move away from an army which other players in my group insisted on collecting (damn you and your Chaos, kyussinchains!).

hey I had em first!! ;)

Badbones777
18-07-2008, 11:52
Although Id played the game plenty, I didnt get my first army until a little bit after, but yeah, still tomb kings. I have been using my skaven more lately, but I woldnt part with my skellies for anything!

Krom The Eternal
11-04-2009, 00:01
im running on 5 years chaos

Cypher, the Emperor
11-04-2009, 00:06
Still goin strong after 6 years of Chaos.

Moral of the story: Knights and Chariots are good, will always be good, end of story.

Bac5665
11-04-2009, 00:10
Though I've pick up several different armies along the way, lizzies were my first, and I'll always keep coming back to them.

Classical Mushroom
11-04-2009, 00:24
Tome Kings where my first ahh i remember it well Khalida had her hair up that day, she moved me. The way that scarab crawled out of her eyeball it was so... intense :angel:

Played them for about 4 months then started Vampire counts.

Grimstonefire
11-04-2009, 00:31
I stuck with HE for about 5 years, then I stopped playing them completely and went onto Dwarfs (my main army for about 7 years).

Dwarfs are the only army that inspires me enough to collect a whole force, though I am a huge chaos Dwarf fan (about 5 years), and when they release them I will probably shift onto them as my main force.

bob_the_small
11-04-2009, 01:18
2 whole years of dark elves.. aaaah

Warboss Antoni
11-04-2009, 05:03
Been playing O+G for 2 1/2 years, but for about a year they've been chilling in their boxes because theyre just not fun anymore. I perfer playing my Chaos but I love the Orcs modelwise.

Devil
11-04-2009, 05:29
I think for people who find painting important they will have stuck with 1 army for a longer period. To me painting is not as important so I ahve tried quite a few armies. Currently trying out the counts of death=)

sabre4190
11-04-2009, 05:52
I continuously build armies. Between fantasy and 40k, im always working on something. Some times ill move away from an army for a while, or the army just doesnt look as the newer ones so ill avoid using it extensively. But i will usually be working on either multiple armies or planning new ones.

Putty
11-04-2009, 06:05
just a little over 1 year with my wood elf army and i got sick of being shot up all the time and went for an all mortal hoards of chaos army (which later became warriors of chaos).

i seldom play fantasy (40k is a faster game, so that happens more), so i reckon it'll only be a matter of time i really give up on fantasy and not have one fantasy at all.

but i do prefer WoC because of their nitty gritty background. in game play, they aren't as strong as Daemons, Empire or Dark Elves but at least they are not walkovers.

Eventually I would need another fantasy army to practice with myself (i have two 40k armies because of this) and might pick Lizardmen or Empire.

Staurikosaurus
11-04-2009, 07:29
12 years of lizardmen and still going strong. :p

>>>insert Godzilla roar here<<<

Desert Rain
11-04-2009, 09:29
I started out with Lizardmen in 2003 and started with High Elves in 2006. I play much more with my High Elves nowadays than I do with my Lizardmen.

The Red Scourge
11-04-2009, 11:06
HoC mortals for 7 months then wood elves, and 7 months later I'm slapping the final paint on a VC host. I haven't tired with any of the armies and use them for the different moods I'm in; WoC for a game of extreme violence and uncomplicated skullcracking. WE if I'm up for a tactical game and just massacring my opponent. And I play VC to learn to play with ranked regiments – and I'm not doing great :D

crouchingotter
11-04-2009, 12:42
O&G were my introduction to WFB with the release of 7th Edition. I've just recently decided to give them up because I simply don't enjoy them anymore from any aspect.

They're frustrating to use in the game (as opposed to fun)
They're actually rather complex models to paint and so I found that even batch painting took me ages.

I've been playing High Elves since just after their latest Army Book. I really like them as an army and have found them to be a pleasure to paint. Due to the nature of the army it's not such a daunting task to paint up a reasonable sized force.

I'm planning to take my HE upto the 3000pts mark and then I'll be ready to tackle Skaven later in the year.

Dungeon_Lawyer
11-04-2009, 13:03
Collected Lizardmen from the very beginning and have never stopped. I have smaller armies of dwarfs, Boc, and Goblins cause I just like to get drunk most of the time and play a silly game for fun, but when someone pisses me off, trys to cheat, or is a powergamer jackoff, off the shelf comes the lizzies and off with the head of the offending player....!!

O&G'sRule
11-04-2009, 16:06
4th ed Orcs and goblins, still going
Not much difference in time with chaos too, though with a loooooong break in between

Crazy Harborc
11-04-2009, 18:39
I started fantasy with the Empire at the end of 3rd Edition. Next came the Orcs. I do not have, nor do I play Chaos Daemons. In fact no more Chaos, the troops are dust catchers. No Skaven, no Ogre Kingdoms, got armies for the rest and they get used a few times a year.

Back to Empire more than the others. O & Gs second, Lizzies coming up to a close to second.;)

Rioghan Murchadha
11-04-2009, 19:03
High Elves for 16 years till finally the 6th ed list bored the everliving crap out of me and I switched over to Dogs of War.

theunwantedbeing
11-04-2009, 19:04
2-3 years of Chaos, then I started Dark elves....Chaos hasn't got much use since then.
Even though they had better rules :P

Sheena Easton
11-04-2009, 19:40
I started both High Elves and Orcs & Goblins at around the same time, though I think the greenskins were technically first so thats 17 years and counting.

selone
11-04-2009, 19:41
I played loads in 5th edition including Chaos dwarf's, lizardmen, empire though my main force was dwarves. Played wood elf in whichever edition had the one warhammer armies book.
I've been playing orcs since I got back into the hobby (about 4 months now) but I'm not adverse to trying a new army.

On 40 K I played ork's, imp guard and tyranids in the edition which was you rolled dice and added your ws to the combat (3rd ed was it?) I hated the edition after and have never played 40 K since.

Lewzardman
11-04-2009, 20:15
When i was first introduced to warhammer at the age of 8 i got the box of 8 lizardmen saurus. 10 years later lizardmen are still my first love, i still have the 8 saurus in all their terrible paint job glory :p

W0lf
11-04-2009, 20:23
Been playing mortal chaos for about 2 years, mono Tzeentch.

I play other armies but chaos is my first and true fantasy love.

That said vampires are quickly breaking this trend ^^

Keller
11-04-2009, 20:34
I started with Empire 7 years ago and it is still my main army. Its grown to about 4-5000 points now, with a few more units planned.

I started VC about 6 years ago; currently have about 3000-3500 points.

Ogres were started at their release; barely have 3000 points.

pietaster
12-04-2009, 05:24
My first was Skaven right when 7th ed came out. Then played Chaos for about 6-8 months went back to Skaven, Played Vampires a couple of times. Then played Dwarfs for about 1 & 1/2 yrs. I am bored of them and will probably not play them again. Now Im playing Daemons. Waiting for the new Skaven book to come out and hope its good.

Brimweave
12-04-2009, 17:20
1 year of Dwarfs and still counting :D

badgeraddict
12-04-2009, 18:35
1 year of Bretonnia then started collecting Vampire Counts (6th ed). Found I did not get on with the playstyle of VC, coupled with the fact I've only ever won 2 games using them.
So after 6 months of VC I started Dark Elves (6th ed).

I'm leaning more towards using Bretonnians again.

Out of my armies, these are the ones I play the most. 1 being 'most', 4 being 'seldom'

1.Dark Elves
2.Bretonnia
3.The Empire
4.High Elves

I like Elves & Humans :)

Sylass
12-04-2009, 19:13
Started "Undead" back in 4th edition (1994?) and I still own most of my old miniatures. Played a whole lot of different armies (Dwarfs, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Chaos Dwarfs, Dogs of War, Chaos, Goblins, Tomb Kings, Skaven, Wood Elves ) during 4th, 5th and 6th edition, but never managed to move away from my trusty Undead (Vampires).

Never played a game of 7th edition WHFB until now...but I'm thinking about getting back into the game. :)

Bretonnian Lord
12-04-2009, 19:20
4 years of Bretonnians and still going strong. :) I've entertained the idea of starting other armies as pet projects, but my Bretonnians will always be my favorites.

In 40k, I played Eldar for about a year before I grew bored with 40k. It's a shame, really, that the Eldar sculpts are so beautiful but mine are gathering dust from inaction. :(

BloodiedSword
12-04-2009, 20:09
Been trying to put together 2k of High Elves for the past 7 years - now that I finally have the money, I find I don't have the time...

Oguleth
12-04-2009, 21:09
Started Undead and High Elves about the same time in 5th Edition when I started playing FB.

Undead lasted until the Vampire Counts book came out, hated the new book (considering I still love that old Undead book it's not really a surprise) and after playing one game with it, I sold off my army, so the undead adventure lasted something like 2 years. I had a brief period of Khemri when that book came out, but it somehow wasn't the same.

The High Elves lasted until a bit after Ravening Hordes was out, but got bored after losing all those special rules for some kind of vanilla list, and since the army had the worst paintjob ever, I got rid of it. About 3 years I got out of that army.

I think the theory that the painters end up sticking to an army for longer has some merit; I have never been big on the painting side, and the one army I ever regret selling was the one I put the most effort into painting...

Orthank
12-04-2009, 22:16
Undeads and Vampire Counts since 1993.

TeddyC
12-04-2009, 23:40
im still with my first.... in fact my only REAL army... dwarfs, Ive stripped them down and repainted them twice

Dexter099
13-04-2009, 00:07
I stuck with it for over a year, but it didn't get past 1500 points.

CazKid69
13-04-2009, 00:21
Not long started with Vampire Counts. I done 40k Ultramarines for maybe a year, but gave it up never seeming to win. Already enjoying (and winning) with me Vamps. I just need to start painting them, and get more models.