PDA

View Full Version : Warp Spiders and Deep Strike

Xavier
07-07-2008, 01:44
Hey quick question. In the new rules all models with Jump Packs are able to Deep Strike, Warp Spiders have an Exarch power that allows them to Deep Strike, and come equipped with warp jump generators which allow them to move as if they had jump packs.

Now, my question, does this mean that Warp Spiders can now deep strike regardless of whether they have an Exarch with the corresponding Exarch power?

In my head there are arguments for both; I'm leaning towards no unless they have the Exarch power, since the rules for their warp jump generators says they merely move as if they had them, not that they actually have them...

Anyway, your thoughts?

Wrathiel
07-07-2008, 01:56
the unit type is "jump infantry" so I would interpret that as allowing them to deep strike without the exarch.

Jwolf
07-07-2008, 01:56
Warp jump generators are not jump packs, so I would say they need the exarch.

Xavier
07-07-2008, 02:01
*facepalm*

Well going by the first two responses I guess I was right that it isn't really a clear cut question; so feel slightly vindicated.

Cheers you two, like I said I honestly can't think how to interpret it; would be kinda bad to just discount one of the exarch powers because of it; but then again the Eldar book was for last edition.

Wrathiel
07-07-2008, 02:45
in my 5th ed. rulebook, warp spiders are specifically mentioned in the "jump infantry" section, and the next paragraph below stated that any jump infantry may deep strike.

Frgt/10
07-07-2008, 02:52
they get it for free as they are listed as 'jump infantry' even though they dont strictly wear jump packs

big squig
07-07-2008, 02:57
Yep, there are a few units like this that now have redundant wargear.

Starchild
07-07-2008, 03:00
That's a bit odd... A small oversight by Mr. Kelly no doubt.

Well, since Warp Spiders are indeed Jump Infantry, I suppose that will save some points in my current army list. :evilgrin:

Maybe a future FAQ will sort this out?

Xavier
07-07-2008, 03:01
Score, cheers guys, saves 20 points at least :)

big squig
07-07-2008, 04:25
Just think off all the vehicle squadrons that have access to extra armor (or some form of it).

Ozendorph
07-07-2008, 06:25
The Warp Spiders are wondering if they'll get a replacement power. Oh, and a Phoenix Lord. ;)

Mewy
07-07-2008, 06:34
What about mission rules? Is there still deep strike, random game length, etc? (except I've already read that there's no victory points, only objectives) If so maybe jump infantry can only deep strike if the mission states, yet warp spiders with the exarch can deep strike regardless? My 2 cents.

Wrathiel
07-07-2008, 07:33
as far as I can tell, anything that can deepstrike in 5th edition, can do so in any mission.

Frgt/10
07-07-2008, 07:34
all the mission rules are rolled into the mission table now. all missions have a variable game length and allow deep strike/infiltrate, etc

Doomseer
07-07-2008, 11:23
So the 'Surprise Assault' Exarch power costs 10pts to allow you to DS regardless of whether or not the mission allows it, when all missions in 5th Ed. allow DS?!!

Nice one!!

Sarigar
07-07-2008, 12:12
If GW comes out with new missions in a future release, Deep Strike may not be listed. Indy GTs such as Adepticon and the Necro write their own missions and it may not be 100% guaranteed Deep Strike every mission.

Minor points, but overall, it looks like the Exarch's skill is redundant.

Killgore
07-07-2008, 12:15
not everything from the old codexs will make sence in the new rules

This new rule has made Warp Spiders more attractive to me as i dont have to shell out loads of points on a exarch now :)

Sildani
07-07-2008, 14:15
The Exarch's still worth it for the 4 BS 5 shots.

Phil Kelly didn't know everything that was going into 5th Ed., but it seems quite a bit was set in stone a while ago. Hence the redundancy. Thanks for the catch, Xavier.