PDA

View Full Version : Restarting wood elves? Your thoughts

Banimal
08-07-2008, 00:59
In the days of the Warhammer Annual List for Wood elves, I amassed about a 1500 pt. army of them. This was of course long before I really knew how to play, and because of that I stopped Warhammer and concentrated on my 40k armies. Now that my Dwarfs are finished and my 5th ed. Eldar are doing pretty well, I think it may be time to bring the Asrai back into play. Using the new book, I built a 1000 pt list off of stuff that I have.

Spellsinger; lvl 2, Cailingorís Stave, Dispel Scroll, Horse-187 pts
10 Glade Guard-120 pts
5 glade Riders, musician-129 pts
15 Eternal Guard, full command-210 pts(these are the old Glade Guard spearelf models. Not great models true, but I wanted to use them for something)
8 Wardancers-144 pts
5 Waywatchers-120 pts

I still have 70 pts left to spend, and I'm not sure what I should go with. Maybe beef up the way watchers(I have 10 of the old models)? Or should I go out and buy something new?

In addition to this, I have the following models:
20 more Glade Guard, but no real command models for them
maybe 2 more glade riders if I can find the bodies
6 Dryads( I want to use Dryads in larger games, so I will get a box and make 2 units of 9)
5 Waywatchers
5 more Spear/shield armed Glade guard

I have no problem with buying more, I would just like to get as much bang out of my present models as I can. Can any more experienced Wood Elf players lend a hand in turning what i've got into a more finely tuned force? Thanks in advance

Banimal
09-07-2008, 04:00
Bump. Anybody?

Krusty
09-07-2008, 04:19
def. get another box or 2 of dryads...
they are the ****...
in such a small game i would consider dropping the e.guard for dryads and try to find points for an alter kindred/HoDA character

Putty
09-07-2008, 13:26
Spellsinger; lvl 2, Cailingorís Stave, Dispel Scroll, Horse-187 pts

10 Glade Guard-120 pts

5 glade Riders, musician-129 pts

15 Eternal Guard, full command-210 pts(these are the old Glade Guard spearelf models. Not great models true, but I wanted to use them for something)

8 Wardancers-144 pts

5 Waywatchers-120 pts

I still have 70 pts left to spend, and I'm not sure what I should go with. Maybe beef up the way watchers(I have 10 of the old models)? Or should I go out and buy something new?

In addition to this, I have the following models:
20 more Glade Guard, but no real command models for them
maybe 2 more glade riders if I can find the bodies
6 Dryads( I want to use Dryads in larger games, so I will get a box and make 2 units of 9)
5 Waywatchers
5 more Spear/shield armed Glade guard

I have no problem with buying more, I would just like to get as much bang out of my present models as I can. Can any more experienced Wood Elf players lend a hand in turning what i've got into a more finely tuned force? Thanks in advance

Problems with this list:

15 EG is fairly useless at games less than 2500 pts. Take off the Waywatchers and add a Wardancer Lord.

Add another unit of 10 Glade Guards. Use the points freed up from the EG to add a unit or two of 8 - 12 Dryads. No full command for either.

If you have any points left over, get another lord character for Wardancers and / or add another unit of Wardancers (8 per unit is optimum) . You need Wardancers to flank your enemy when your Dryads take the main line of assault.

You can even experiment with 1 Treeman instead of the Spellsinger.

Invest in Dryads (I have about 40+) and Two Treemen. Get a BSB model and try out the 2 Treeman + BSB list to get a feel of how powerful a WE army can be. Then proceed to deconstruct the list and experiment after that.