PDA

View Full Version : PEEGORE'S PAGE : VC's vs Wood Elves 2.250pts ( pics )

Peegore
08-07-2008, 13:38
Apologies for the delay in this report. My dreams of having a permenant, hassle free website have fallen through. Been having problems with the new site, and the host basically said ' you've placed too much demand on the shared server, give us more money and you can have one of your own' B@LLS to them I say. Lying beggars. So it's going to be back to my tried and trusted free/mirror site setup for now.

ANYWAY, this report is Mick's Vamps vs My Wood Elves. The vampires have had the ordacity to ravage a part of the Great Wood, capture all the spites, sprites and fauna within said ravaged area, stick them in two large Wicker Men and are about to ritualistically sacrifice them! Not having any of this, the Wood Elves go to their rescue...

It's all there, full report, but I have to check this one for consistency ( I've been stressing too much over the website to do it properly ). So any characters dead in turn 3 but seemingly alive in turn 6.... that's purely my bad.

Heres the link : http://www.peegorespage.co.cc

Boss_Salvage
08-07-2008, 14:23
Happiness is a new Peegore report!

But I'll save this one for later in the day, shockingly have some work to do after LoNC's new report ...

- Salvage

Solon
08-07-2008, 18:01
Hi Peegore, Thank you for an impressive batrep.

I'm a noob so please bear with me. :o

I saw that the Alter Noble was in the VC backfield to march-block. He looked pretty exposed and I'd like to know why he wasn't eliminated, or rather, why you knew he was relatively safe despite a position that looked risky. For instance why did not the Vhargulf nor the Vampire Lord take care of the Alter Noble?

The Alter Noble ran to the middle of the field and shot the Dire Wolves. Were you were not worried that the VC would magically charge your Alter Noble?

Did the VC Opponent have a starting plan that he shared with you? He was reactive throughout the match.

OldMaster
08-07-2008, 18:31
Weehow : D
Going to check it out : )

Boss_Salvage
08-07-2008, 18:41
He was reactive throughout the match.
What spells did the VC roll up? I didn't see any van hels dansing going on, and it's generally magical movement (including Incantation of Urgency or whatever) that gives the fundead that boost needed to dictate what nasty combats happen where. I also think part of it was the raw speed of the wood elf light cav and skirmishers vs those blocks of undead shambling forward that made the deadites seem so reactionary.

Oh, and supersweet report Peeg, end result me happy to read :evilgrin:

- Salvage

silverstu
08-07-2008, 18:58
Nice report- very entertaining and great pics. Bit of a rollercoaster with the dice for both you if you- if you weren't fluffing attacks you were making amazing saves! Splendid stuff.

OldMaster
08-07-2008, 19:24
It says "Beastmen vs. Wood Elves" on the archive page. Just thought, maybe I need to point that one out ;)

szlachcic
08-07-2008, 20:16
I saw that the Alter Noble was in the VC backfield to march-block. He looked pretty exposed and I'd like to know why he wasn't eliminated, or rather, why you knew he was relatively safe despite a position that looked risky. For instance why did not the Vhargulf nor the Vampire Lord take care of the Alter Noble?

The Alter Noble ran to the middle of the field and shot the Dire Wolves. Were you were not worried that the VC would magically charge your Alter Noble?

Judging from the pictures he was just out of Line of Sight of any of the units. When I first started Warhammer, it took me a while to realize that even single model units, like the varghulf or vamp lord on abyssal terror, need to draw LoS from the front of their base. They would be much too powerful if they could charge anywhere they wanted to. So, just remember that you still have to have LoS and that you must have LoS in the beginning of the movement phase to be able to charge.

What Peegore did with the alter noble is good against armies such as vampire counts since they don't have any shooting. If he faced an army with a decent amount of missile weapons I am sure he would have played him much more conservatively.

I have done something similar using Dark Elf Sorceresses in a tournament against a bret player that had no archers.

Anyways, great report as always Peegore, keep them coming! One question though, when the Glade Riders fled from your opponents "ability card" in the 5th turn (I believe), why did you roll a scatter die to see where they fled. I understand that the damage didn't have an actual source, but wouldn't that just mean they would flee towards the closest table edge?

OldMaster
08-07-2008, 20:46
^ Scatter dice are just too much fun : )

Well... not in this case.. but still.

Really cool battle report!

Peegore
08-07-2008, 21:24
Blimey, I go away from the computer for a few hours... how many questions? :)

The alter noble - I had to get him within 18" for the pageant of shrikes to be usable along with his bow for 2 'character in unit' killing attacks. Once the Vampiress had fled the unit, and as long as your careful with your positioning as szlachcic says, the varghulf, infantry blocks, and black knights all need LOS from their front arc to see him. And having a base move of 9" means that once within 3-4 inches of the enemy, you can still run rings around them. My only worry would have been being charged magically after Mick had moved a unit to face him in his turn, but my key gambit was this was a scenario based game, and getting the alter noble killed would have been a pain in the backside, but it would not have mattered because tha game was not based on traditional VP's. I just had to focus on my 2 key objectives to win... Killing 2 mages and controlling 1 Wicker Man. And teh Alter noble was more of a dispensable thorn in his side for this game...

I believe he had Vanhels on the Necromancer and the Book of Arkahn on the Vampiress who i killed quite early on. I'll try adding the spells to the batrep within the next 2 days. Point is, I had a Dispel pool of 7 ( base 2 + 2 from Spellweaver, 1 from Spellsinger and 2 from branchwraith ( lvl 1 + Cluster of Radiants ). Combined with the Wand of the Wych Elm and 2 Dispel Scrolls, virtually no magic, barring double 6's, would have nor did get through.

I'll amend the Beastmen vs Wood Elves straight away. Cut and Paste is paint sometimes :rolleyes:

As for Noobish questions Solon.... never worry. I still fell like a noob compared to some on these forums... and I've been playing since they were in nappies ( that'd be diapers for our american chums... ) Anyway, as for your point regarding Mick ( the VC player ) being reactive... yes he was when you look at the report. But think about it - He was facing one of the most re-deployable armies in the game, and I was stymieing his magic, which he needed to have any chance of pinning me down. A Wood Elf army should be dictating the flow of the game. If not ,then they are usually on a hiding to nothing...

Oh, the scatter dice for the fleeing Gladeriders :cries: That's ruddy Darryl and his dodgy ability cards that is! I don't think he'd thought them through, and when I said " er, which direction is this magical attack coming from", seeing as this wasn't on his card, he declared " scatter it. Just Scatter it " I'll bloody scatter him the next time I see him... I know nearest table edge would have been more sensible, but it hey, we rarely suffer Geekrage in the middle of a game. We're far too, er, mature and sensible for that :eyebrows:

Thanks for all the replies and support BTW. What a great bunch of wargaming people you are!

szlachcic
08-07-2008, 22:31
Oh, the scatter dice for the fleeing Gladeriders :cries: That's ruddy Darryl and his dodgy ability cards that is! I don't think he'd thought them through, and when I said " er, which direction is this magical attack coming from", seeing as this wasn't on his card, he declared " scatter it. Just Scatter it " I'll bloody scatter him the next time I see him... I know nearest table edge would have been more sensible, but it hey, we rarely suffer Geekrage in the middle of a game. We're far too, er, mature and sensible for that :eyebrows:

Thanks for all the replies and support BTW. What a great bunch of wargaming people you are!

Oh ok, I figured it might have been a houserule or something to do with the scenario. It seems like you guys have a lot of fun with these games so that is all that matters anyways.

I am going to have to give some of those objective cards a go with my gaming group as I agree that the standard battle gets old after a while.

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
09-07-2008, 02:27
Great report! For a minute there, I thought the Asrai were goners, but they bounced right back for a win! I'm especially wowed at how the Spellweaver actually managed to survive combat with a Varghulf.

I wanna see Greenskins vs Ogres next!

Peegore
09-07-2008, 08:29
Greenskins vs Ogres....hmm. I'll try and set that up within the next several weeks. Sounds good... I might even suggest a bigger bash, with Darryl and Mick putting a greenskin force together ( they both use them ) and I might do an Empire with large Ogre 'mercenary' contingent to oppose them...

I like the sound of that game a lot :D

Yes, a Glamourweave Spellweaver* besting Varghulf... who'd have thought. But as someone said previously, in the last two turn of the game, I was rolling stupid-low attack numbers, but the 5+ Forest Spirit save was working overtime...

* with his retinue of Treekin...

Alathir
09-07-2008, 12:40
That was yet another great report mate! Your battles are quite the spectacle, the fully painted armies look amazing. I was rooting for the Wood Elves as I have a deep-rooted hatred of Vampires and their seemingly invulnerable Varghulfs, glad to see you take one down!

Now I just need to do that as well...

Arguleon-veq
09-07-2008, 14:30
That was my favourite you've done so far. Awesome report. I really liked the fluff behind the scenario too. Somebody over on Tauonline [despite its very small Fantasy base] made some decent rules for a Wickerman a while ago, it would have been fun to see one turn up in a future VC game had the Vamps won.

I really like that Spellweaver and Treekin combo, I may give it a try myself.

MonkeyLord
09-07-2008, 15:54
Definately a good read! Thanks a bunch!

happy_doctor
09-07-2008, 17:53
Thanks for another magnificent battle report, Peegore!

On the tactics used, I admired the self-restraint you showed with your wizards early in the game; not casting spells so as to avoid any miscasts that could ruin your dispel capabilities was wise, judging by how effectively you nullified Mick's magic phases.

Saves favoured you during the last turns, though... I was sure that the lord on abyssal terror would make mincemeat out of the wardancers!

Overall, it's refreshing to see innovative and easy-going lists such as the ones you guys field!

Juicebox
10-07-2008, 00:51
Another excellent battle report. And, I totally believe the wacky die rolls you were talking about. Once, during a game of Battle Fleet Gothic, my Repulsive Grand Cruiser and a couple other cruisers unloaded on an injured Imperial battleship (I think it was an Emperor class) causing like thirteen or fourteen hits. Instead of the ship collapsing into a joyful little ball of plasma, my friend used the Brace for Impact maneuver and managed to save every single one. Thirteen/Fourteen consecutive 4+'s. Ridiculous.

Also, really good job on that spellweaver, especially for your first time sculpting with green stuff.

Lastly, at the bottom of the report you have it saying "Wood Elves - Objectives" and "Beasts of Chaos - Objectives," indicating that you have yet again defeated the hairy folk rather than the shambling hordes. It seems your hatred of the horned ones knows no bounds.:p

Peegore
10-07-2008, 08:01
Arguleon-veq: Animated Wicker Men. Could be an excuse for us to use Darryls pieces of terrain again...

happy_doctor: Yes, from the very first turn, I had to keep reminding myself that the Spellweaver had 2 objectives, 1) Dispel magic, not cast it 2) stay alive at least until the moonstone had been activated. In the first turn of the game, I picked up a handful of dice, ready to cast all manner of things, but I had visions of rolling double 1's, and the game collapsing before it even got started. Glad I did restrain myself in the end.

Juicebox: I'm glad you do believe the wacky rolls I had ;) I usually try and take piccies of any ludicrous dice rolls we get; it's the best way to show people how badly rolls can effect the games we play! I admit, I struggle to remember every set of rolls we make over the space of 6 turns, but generally what I write is what happened. Unlike GW, we don't play several times and pick the best outcome for the batrep... the game we play is the game I report, warts and all...

soots
11-07-2008, 00:52
Nice Win,

Have to say though the VC player was very very ordinary. Bad army selection, always trying to cast the big spells as opposed to casting IoN many times when he knows the enemy is scrolled up. Charging his Lord to the only wood elf unit with KB by himself. You did a good job of taking advantage of his incompetencies though!

SevenSins
11-07-2008, 07:22
another fine writeup, Peegore. Really nice unicorn by the way if thats your first sculpt I'd say you'll have nothing to worry about in the world of GS.

Also pleased to not see another VC summon spam bla bla game :)

Peegore
11-07-2008, 07:45
Sevensins - Cheers. I took some pictures of the model before I painted it which I might put on the website. I surprised myself with how it turned out...

*** HEAVY EDIT ***

I originally launched into a veritable diatribe ( Ok, I got a tinsy bit narked ) by a certain recent comment regarding how well/poorly we played the game.

I am now re-writing this, because everyone has their own personal take on things, and I'm not here to judge them back. I just find it frustrating sometimes that people don't seem to 'get' the playstyle and environment of my small gaming group. oh well... ( Sevensins and others... you quite obviously do get it! And If by some fluke of a chance we crossed paths, I'd be happy... nay honoured to enjoy a game with you! )

Mick, I know you're reading this. Just take a deep breath, and reflect on what we've always said about some of the comments and the people who post them on Warseer....:angel:

BTW! We played a 3000pt scenario last night. 3000pts High Elves Vs 1500pts skaven teamed with 1500pts O&G. I'll do a mini-report on this on the website soon. Obviously, you can expect at least one of us to have taken an poorly constructed, non-WAAC list and played it like a bungling fool... ;).

happy_doctor
11-07-2008, 23:00
Peegore, when you mess with the internet, you're bound to face some people who won't appreciate anything you do (such as having relaxed, fun games with your mates and then taking the time to tell us about it in an artistic way).

Still, don't let it dishearten you. Any seasoned general has done dumb mistakes over time (not that I noticed any myself in your last battle report) and I can see no mistake in picking original armies either, as it just adds much more flavour to your battles!

Keep this up, we're really enjoying the ride!

Happy_doctor

Kirth
12-07-2008, 00:13
There are those that have a WAAC mentality. Ignore them.

The Batrep was a fun read Peegore, keep at it.

Peegore
12-07-2008, 08:58
After a little reflection, I may have come across as a bit of a crying b*tch. Obviously, I don't expect posters of comments to blow happy-smoke up my a$$ every batrep I make. I should just suck it up I suppose:) No hard feelings all around then....

Started the next report ( 3000pt HE vs Skaven & OG ). I think the scenario I put together might have been a bit lopsided.... you'll see. Whatever, the table was rammed with units and looks quite a spectacle.... Did the Skaven squirt the musk of fear?!? you'll find out soon :D

szlachcic
13-07-2008, 18:08
After a little reflection, I may have come across as a bit of a crying b*tch. Obviously, I don't expect posters of comments to blow happy-smoke up my a$$ every batrep I make. I should just suck it up I suppose:) No hard feelings all around then....

Started the next report ( 3000pt HE vs Skaven & OG ). I think the scenario I put together might have been a bit lopsided.... you'll see. Whatever, the table was rammed with units and looks quite a spectacle.... Did the Skaven squirt the musk of fear?!? you'll find out soon :D

I can't wait to see it Peegore, I am sure it will be great. You and Mick (or any of the other guys in your gaming group) shouldn't worry about what some people say about your lists or play style. It is easy to sit down and break down what went right and what went wrong after a battle, it is a completely different thing when you actually playing it. I had some people make similar insinuations about my opponent when I was trying to say I didn't think the Daemon book was over powered.

Some people just look at it from a WAAC standpoint, and have army lists and playstyles to match. The rest of us just take what we want and try to have fun with it as it is just a game after all. Keep those reports coming!

Cap'n Facebeard
15-07-2008, 01:10
Every ingredient of a classic fantasy game was there - expensive models getting killed by p***weak attacks, steeds killing hard characters and subtly bent rules. Peegore batreps make me feel like I've teleported to the early 90s!
Anyway, another great show: much happy-smoke for your a$$, sir!

ukko
15-07-2008, 11:03

Can't wait, these reports are always a really good read - keep 'em coming dude

Draconian77
31-07-2008, 03:06
I'm back, did you miss me?

The Peegore fan club has more members than I remember but hey ho, tis only a good thing. Nice battle reports(Still fantastic looking armies) but we need more fightin" and less tactical maneuvering! (Er, keep it as is.)

The Dark Elves are finally out! I received my spearhead. Its all so beautiful. Sniffle...

Boss_Salvage
31-07-2008, 12:58
I was on your site impatiently hunting for new stuff and having no luck, Peeg :(

- Salvage

Peegore
31-07-2008, 14:21
Hello all! As has been pointed out quite succinctly, I have not been updating anything recently. This is because -

a) I've been on holidays for last 2 weeks, canal boating etc.
b) Before that ( and this week ) the 'free' websites I use(d) are causing me no end of problems. And every time I find a new free web address, I need to upload the whole site... and thats a LOT of images.
c) I've been spending more time on painting stuff ( skaven, and just bought new 40K rule book so that'll be some models there to dust off and paint as well )

So yes, I profusely apologise for the lack of website activity. But to assure you I have not abandoned my website, I am preparing the last third of a batrep to upload this weekend, and I'll be playing a game next week I imagine, so there will be one to follow as well.

And as for bumping this thread, I might have guessed it'd be the usual suspects ( Yes, I'm looking at you Boss and Drac... ;) )

Draconian77
31-07-2008, 14:59
Pish posh, I'm back on Warseer after a few months abscence and I was just trying to find the threads that consistently interested me. I would never shamelessly bump a thread.

(I do it with quite a bit of shame...)

Boss_Salvage
31-07-2008, 15:03
*gratuitous head shaking for Peeg and his legitimate excuses*

No need to rush the report, I'm sure it'll be scrumptious whenever it hits :D

- Salvage

Daxio
03-08-2008, 18:45
Hi, i know that Drac and especially Boss appreciate just how much effort Peegore puts into his reports, they are great, and I know that I could not find the time, master the technical skills needed or maintain the necessary enthusiasm to complete even one report. I know this all sounds a bit "oh I love you Peegore", but having Known Peegore for a very long time, and having been beaten by him on numerous occasions, too numerous, I can only say that what ever the next batrep contains it will have been written with gusto and commitment. All hail Peegore, awooga!

Peegore
03-08-2008, 22:03
Daxio, what a darling you are :)

I'll make this my last post to this thread, lest I get repremanded for bumping etc... the reason why? I have almost finished chucking together a 'mini' report from several weeks ago. Hopefuly I'll post it tomorrow-ish. There's more to the story behind why this is so late (and why it's a mini report ) but that'll all be explained in the new thread when I post. It goes beyond me just being on holiday etc...

Cheers for hanging in there!

PS Daxio and I are not a couple. Honest. He's just easily impressed...

Daxio
06-08-2008, 17:47
Wendy begs to differ, thats my Wendy, not yours! She has to work very hard on me!!!

W A L 5 H Y
09-08-2008, 22:00
great site you got set up. Read through most of the battle reports, gd stuff! Do you guys just battle at home or somin! keep it up guys!

Peegore
10-08-2008, 11:22
Walshy: Do we just battle at home? Short answer is yes. Have done since early 90's. We have entered local tournaments, and Mick sometimes visits the nearest local gaming group though.

In the last few years, as we've 'matured', we've become less competitive and don't fo tounaments in general, mainly scenario based 'fun' games. It's as much, if not more social as it is competitive.

And since Steve stopped playing last year in favour of World of Warcraft ( No, I don't know why anyone would do that either ) It's just been us, the three muscateers. Fortunately, we have quite a few large armies each ( I've yet to do a batrep with my Empire in it for example ) so there should still be quite a few varied reports yet to come! And who knows, there may be some new armies in development from us that have not yet been seen... ( Darryl.... Dark Elves... Oops, bet I was't supposed to reveal that was I Darryl :) )

W A L 5 H Y
16-08-2008, 23:39
Great battle report mate! nd a great site you got. I think a black coach would of made the game more fun! lol always does for me. But keep it going!

Zoolander
18-08-2008, 15:56
Great report Peegore, as usual! Always a fun read.

Jimjim
28-08-2008, 16:47
Love your site Peegore, I've read every single battle report now, and I enjoyed it!
Keep up the good work! :)

Peegore
02-09-2008, 21:02
Again, I'm apologising for there not being much activity recently. I started a new job a few weeks ago, and seem to have less and less time to tinker with the website than I used to. Also, over the last couple of weeks, Mick and Darryl have been away and unable to play.

The good news is we are having a game on Thursday. So fingers crossed, there'll be a new battle report coming soon!

Keep the faith.

Peegore.

PS I promise I shall not become a Warhammer online addict when I buy it for my son this week, and neglect the real thing :)

PPS Steve ( yes, our elusive fourth gamer ) has shown some interest in playing a game. If we can entice him away from online roleplaying, there may even be a report featuring the ginger prince himself!

Malorian
02-09-2008, 21:36
Hurray!!!

Any hints as to who will be fighting the next battle?

Peegore
08-09-2008, 21:53
Oops. Not been checking in recently on batrep posts! Sorry Malorian...

Played the battle last Thursday, and it was Mick with Bretonnians and Dwarfs vs Darryl with Orcs and me with O.K's. So the nice thing about my next report is it will have an army in there not yet seen on our website..... the Bretts!!. Of course, they are all fully painted in glorious Bretnocolor. As you do.
I'll put a 'teaser' image on the website frontpage of his models...

Gingerprince
15-10-2008, 21:02
I'm watching you

Malorian
15-10-2008, 21:59
Gingerprince, I assume you are the person crazy about ginger stuff on peegore's page.

If so, then please grab peegore in a death grip, force him to the computer, and make him write another battle report.

How dare he get us used to them and then cut us off ; )

Gingerprince
15-10-2008, 22:08
i will see what I can do but he may be too busy wiping the floor with my army to listen

Peegore
16-10-2008, 11:25
Ooh heck. It's been a VERY long time since I did anything hasn't it...

Even Steve ( AKA the Ginger Prince ) has posted a response before me. The Shame...

Yup, I have been out of the loop for a while now. I have played several games, and even taken the pictures. But what with work ( a currently detestable passtime I have come to loathe. I must do something about it ) and having my PC replaced wholesale ( therefore having to start right from scratch installing all the software I used and retrieving the original site information back to my new PC, which is still slowly happening ) I have posted and added nothing since late September.

Rest assured I shall do my best to remedy all of this. And you lot will obviously be the first to know.

And as for Steve, yes he'll be playing his once-yearly game tonight. So I'll have a camera at the ready. I know he's dying to be exposed...

Later. Peegore.

DeathlessDraich
16-10-2008, 13:02
Superb report Peegore and a great web page.

I must add though that the VC player moved too slowly, should have strived to get into combat more quickly and was rather lax with his Vampire lord especially.
But a good win for WE nevertheless.

Gingerprince
16-10-2008, 14:13
once a year ! Well maybe it was true but i would like to play more . I will pick one army and stick to it even if it means having to dig the paints out and start colouring in some models.

Peegore
16-10-2008, 14:48
He does paint some nice models, our Stevie. In fact, I'll make a special point of taking pictures of whatever he brings to tonights game.

And at some point I'll tone the gingery references down on the website. Probably a bit harsh. He's actually a strawberry blonde with very little hair to speak of...

Daxio
16-10-2008, 17:07
Get lost! If my mates are that Jephus and his foot washing fanatics then Stevie boy can take a few "red" hits!