PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Daemons of Chaos

Angel0y
08-07-2008, 23:19
Hello everyone,

I am new to Warseer and failey new to fantasy battles as well. I play wood elves as my frist army, mostsy because of the fantastic model range. I started buying from games workshop mostly for the paniting aspect of the models rather then for the game. However i do enjoy playing and it may shock many of you to know that i am a girl.:)

Now i am interested in starting a daemon army and have made a starter list. I am foucusing mostly on Khorne, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh. I do not want to include Nurgle in my army because, as i said, I am a painter frist and i find the Nurgle model range to be.... well ugly.

:angel:

I can respect the fact that the models are meant to look that way due to the fluff and background history, but i personally do not like the models. I apologize if this offences anyone, this is just my own perferance.

Please feel free to post any thoughts or suggestions, I'll welcome any new ideas to helpo make my new army both enjoyable to paint and fun to play. Thank you for reading my post :):cool:

Angel0y
08-07-2008, 23:21
Daemons of Chaos

Lords: 635

Lord of Change: 635
Level 4, Power Vortex, Dark Magister, Flames of Tzeentch, Iridescent Corona

Heroes: 171

The Masque of Slaanesh: 90

The Blue Scribes of Tzeentch: 81

Core: 860

20 x Bloodletters of Khorne: 295
Musician, Bloodreaper, Standard Bearer, Icon of Endless War

20 x Daemonettes of Slaanesh: 295
Musician, Alluress, Standard Bearer, Siren Standard

20 x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch: 270
Musician, Iridescent Horror, Standard Bearer

Special: 342

4 x Screamers of Tzeentch: 120

8 x Seekers of Slaanesh: 222
Musician, Alluress, Standard Bearer

Total Points: 2008
Power Dice: 6
Dispell Dice: 4

Torga_DW
08-07-2008, 23:42
I recently started daemons for 40k, haven't used them there yet, but am now playing them as my fantasy army. I agree the nurgle models look *****, its not a case of being nurglish but poor sculpts imo. Look at the FW deathguard compared to the GW deathguard. For some reason gw just can't produce good nurgle work.

I started off with a balanced list, but moved more and more to mono tzeentch, which performed better and better for me until i finally won my first game. Not knocking the other gods, just my playstyle i guess. The other gods (aside from nurgle) do have some cool looking models though. Got a squad of bloodletters and daemonettes painted, they look sweet.

wait a sec, you're a girl? oh no! <runs away in terror> ;)

Ward.
08-07-2008, 23:48
You probably should have put this in the army list section, but the mods will do that eventually.

As for the list, it looks a bit small and could benefit from some flesh hounds (although the models looks like axolotls so you may not want to use them), 6 power dice for an army led by a LOC doesn't quite seem right either.

I should probably warn you that daemonic core tends to get a lot better when it has a herald.

It should be fun to play though.

Leogun_91
09-07-2008, 08:11
6 power dice for an army led by a LOC doesn't quite seem right either. You must have miscalculated that, there is 2 in base, 4 for the LoC, some for the horrors (donīt know their wizardlevel for 20) and I would belive that the bluescribes would generate dices too (thou I could be wrong).

lordkull
09-07-2008, 11:10
Welcome to the hobby its a great 1.

crazywhiteboydance
09-07-2008, 11:33
With that list you're looking at 9 minimum power dice to start with the potential to generate more in the pool from Bluescribes.

Welcome to the hobby

Ward.
09-07-2008, 12:26
You must have miscalculated that, there is 2 in base, 4 for the LoC, some for the horrors (donīt know their wizardlevel for 20) and I would believe that the bluescribes would generate dices too (thou I could be wrong).

The horrors count as level two (happen to have some pretty good spells as well) while the scribes cast random spells from the normal lores as bound spells.

==Me==
09-07-2008, 12:48
First off, welcome to the hobby and the forum. Avoid the crazies and you should be fine ;)

Daemons are a fun army and look very striking on the tabletop. Shame you won't do any Nurgle, they're extremely resilient and useful for an army that is otherwise quite soft.

Your army looks a little schizophrenic. You've got a lord of change but very little magic support. You're looking at 9 power dice and 5 dispel dice, ok but not great. Adding a Herald of Tzeentch would give you more magical firepower and a great degree of flexibility if you gave it Master of Sorcery. Your combat blocks really don't need such high numbers, their primary job is killing and they can do without the extra combat res. They could also benefit from a Herald in the unit, especially daemonettes. 8 Seekers have a wide frontage and may not get everyone in contact, 5 or 6 works fine for cheaper (also, don't forget the siren standard). Daemons are expensive, and you can spend points elsewhere if you leave out unit champions (I'd only take one to accept challenges if you have a vulnerable Herald in it). Also, Flesh Hounds are ridiculously good, so try to take at least 5 (and I think the models look great).

Any way you decide to go, just remember to enjoy yourself (that is the point of the hobby after all, otherwise we wouldn't be throwing away money like this :p)

ukko
09-07-2008, 12:50
Yay for women in warhammer! Makes the missus feels bad for not taking an interest and means she can't give out when I disappear for a game on a sunny saturday afternoon :p

I haven't actually played DoC yet but as some general advice I'd consider making a couple of small changes
1. Make the big daemonette unit into two smaller 10-12 man flanking unit without command
2. With big seeker unit either
(i) mount herald in the unit and add about 1-3 more seekers, then you could charge ranked up units, beat them and auto-break with fear or
(i) drop command and make 2 units of 5 to flank, harass, hunt artillery, etc. You could then swap masque for khorne herald to lead bloodletters, who look like your main hitters.

The slaaneshi units are so fast that, along with the screamers and the Lord of Change, you'll have quite a bit of mobility to counter faster armies who might otherwise just try backing away and delaying your big blocks. With these two big blocks advancing with the LoC in tow, and the faster units preventing the other army from coordinating a concentrated counter attack you should be able to sort of "net and squeeze"...

As for nurgle models I'd be in total agreement BUT there's nothing to stop you kitbashing some together from other boxes eg ghouls, zombies, flagellants, etc. Daemons present some really great modeling opportunities if you have the inclination?

Anyway - not sure if that helped any but good luck with the army, let us know how it goes.

Angel0y
09-07-2008, 18:58
Wow this is all great advice and has given me alot to think over, I kinda thought that i was a little low in heros and i do like the thought of some heralds running around.

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice, it will really come in handy;)

isidril93
09-07-2008, 19:50
itsa quite a good army list but i disagree that the models arent great.

Bac5665
10-07-2008, 00:51
Also, you have your list at 2008 points. You'll need to bring it down to 2000 or less in order to play most people. Or you go up to 2250, since a lot of people play at that point range too.