PDA

View Full Version : unit with hero on horse

Captain Keen
09-07-2008, 02:09
does the char give one or two extra rank & file walkers? I mean... 2 men have to go to the back if my hero on horse joins. does this mean I can start with 18 walkers and a mounted hero and still have 4 complete ranks? Where can I find this very important info in the rulebook? Can't seem to find it myself,sorry...(only stuff about chars in units that handles movement restrictions. And another part in the book handles unit strenght. thats it)

^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^
^^^^:wtf:

semersonp
09-07-2008, 02:15
i hear ya mate... i hear ya :)

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148599

Nedar
09-07-2008, 02:22
Many people will dislike seeing this topic again as it is argued about fairly often on here.

The only problem with the rules in this regard is that it does not state 100% one way or the other if a MODEL can be in more than one rank at a time. If you read the rules for rank bonus and what ranks are you need 5 models in each rank, some people claim that the back half of a horse does not count as a model in the rank.

However, if it is true that horse does indeed only count as being in one rank, the second rank would then have 4 models and it would be an illegal formation. So the main solution would be to rank up thusly:

AAHAA
XXHXX
AAAAA
AAAAA
AAAAA

A = RnF models
H = Horse model
X = empty spaces (lazy to format empy spaces)

This simply looks rediculous and is counter-intuative to the rules.

The bottom-line is to figure out what your gaming group wishes to do about this. One of the simpler solutions is to just have a 19 strong unit with a cavalry hero placing the excess model in the back rank so you essentially adhere to all the rules with no real gray areas. You have the requisite number of models for +3 rank bonus and your unit doesn't look stupid.

The fun really starts when you put a Corpse Cart mounted Necro in a unit o_O

Captain Keen
09-07-2008, 02:26
ah, I see our points,lol. best thing to do is leave the walkers as a complete unit and put the hero next to it I guess? then he can still fight with the unit, and the horse doesn't trample the others in a silly reallife situation of a hero trying to get into a stikky situation if it can be avoided?!?

Captain Keen
09-07-2008, 02:27
or your option looks ok also I guess

Nedar
09-07-2008, 02:30
I've taken to not mounting my heros (made many times easier as a vampire player since you have to pay out 1/2 or 1/4 of your bloodline powers to get a barded one). It makes me lose some AS modifiers (my 4+ AS lord could be brought to a 2 or 3, but I make due).

Remember that if your character is not in the unit he will be eligible to be picked out by normal shooting (read: BAD). Just put him in mounted, or bite the bullet and unmount him.

No one really complains about cav heroes in RnF infantry much...and, honestly, if they do you're probably better off not playing them anyway.

Captain Keen
09-07-2008, 02:36
and sorry to let my mule kick this open door in again btw...I tried the FAQ and search engine, but I guess I looked with my nose :rolleyes:

Captain Keen
09-07-2008, 02:40
no complains yet. I was just wondering about this. and couldn't find this info anywhere (the way I looked anyways)

Captain Keen
09-07-2008, 02:41
it's about Luthor Huss. And his horse comes with his points. I could unhorse him, and maybe gain some points back in the process...

Conotor
09-07-2008, 02:50
U count the ranks as if the whole space was filled with rank and file troopers. Its the same with slanns, corpse carts, exe.

The Red Scourge
09-07-2008, 05:11
U count the ranks as if the whole space was filled with rank and file troopers. Its the same with slanns, corpse carts, exe.

Now please state where you found this rule?

Otherwise just state that its your house rule :rolleyes:

Condottiere
09-07-2008, 05:43
Discuss the issue with your opponent before the game. Most will agree to count the horse as part of he second rank.