PDA

View Full Version : Discontinuing Khand?

TheNZer
09-07-2008, 08:08
Hey guys,

Today I went into my local GW model supplier, I grabbed the box of Cadians I was after then glanced around, I noticed that all the khandish models were priced to clear and were situated with the models soon to be discontinued. Are GW discontinuing the Khandish line of models after being out only 2 years? Or are my local hobby store people Batty?

Cheers,

HIC.

dax
09-07-2008, 08:11
Worst case scenario they go mail order only can't see them dropping the line entirely.

Baggers
09-07-2008, 08:34
No they are not being discontinued as they are part of the range, the only models that have been discontinued have been replaced with plastic models.

neXus6
09-07-2008, 13:42
I doubt it as they are, in my opinion, some of the best models GW have ever produced, the hafts of the axes are a little thick, but seeing how badly bent they get justnow in their box having them thinner would just be impossible so I can ignore that as a necessity. :D

Seems it's just your local shop that's not been able to sell them/won't be getting more, if I were you I'd probably buy the lot. :p

TheNZer
09-07-2008, 22:13
Thanks guys, I was getting a little worried, Khand is in my opinion one of the better LOTR armies and I would have hated to see them go

Pitalla Crimson
16-07-2008, 01:11
I doubt it as they are, in my opinion, some of the best models GW have ever produced, the hafts of the axes are a little thick, but seeing how badly bent they get justnow in their box having them thinner would just be impossible so I can ignore that as a necessity. :D

Seems it's just your local shop that's not been able to sell them/won't be getting more, if I were you I'd probably buy the lot. :p

well maybe they are well looking, but certianly they arent the greatest on sales, pretty much just getting expensive haradrim, and you need to have packs of them if you want to have a competent armie.

They should had done easterling chariots instead, those would had sold alot and would had been amaizing.

neXus6
16-07-2008, 02:56
Personally I can't stand the easterling models...now if they had made plastic Khand...
That's only from a gaming perspective though. One main plus point for me is I love painting metal models.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't try to make an all Khand army, they don't have enough variation for that many points, but Khand is easily close enough to Harad to do a Harad/Khand army which would give me cheap plastic guff to fill out the points, with pretty nice models...and then access to some nice metals both Khand and Far Harad. :D

But yeah I understand not many people are going to be buying 10 models for 20 that is about 150pts tops if that of troops that are no better rules wise than any other basic man. :)
I can't see GW discontinuing them, but yeah independant stores who've had enough of them sitting gathering dust can result in some bargins as they clear space for more cheap plastics which are more likely to sell, though aren't as well sculpted models.

lotrchampion
16-07-2008, 10:23
They aren't discontinuing them. The fact that when the new Eastern supplement is released they get a named character does kind of make that much obvious. ;)

Khand have some beautiful miniatures, some of the best foot troop models on the game IMO, but obviously the cost is off-putting. If they were to make either the foot troops or the chariots plastic, I'd be there in a flash. Although I think when I've got current projects out of the way, I may be forced to create a Khandish contingent for my Haradrim tribe (their background has them as coming from Abrakan, the merchant town close to the Khandish border).

My personal idea of points/money economy is that for 10, I should get 100pts of models. E.g. for 15 I get a box of 24 Haradrim coming to a total of 144pts, so fairly close to the 10pts/1 mark. Khandish Warriors fall in at 70pts for 20 IIRC. Not great economy for my style of army building.

Pitalla Crimson
07-10-2008, 01:06
I really dont see Khand models going plastic simply because they never where good sellers, and them being removed from the shelves its a sign of it.
Easterlings at the other hand are very popular however they havent been given rightful justice.

Seattledv8
07-10-2008, 03:04
I love my Khand. I run chariots with horsemen all with bows & make my foot soldiers corsairs....50%/50% boarding pikes and Reavers